FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Music What's spinning on your turntable / CD deck tonight?
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
What's spinning on your turntable / CD deck tonight?
I, Zombie
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-11 9:07 pm   Permalink

Hi everyone,

Here's what I'm spinning on my turntable tonight.

Stellar Stereo Dynamica type LP by Kenyon Hopkins. Some undertones of hip Jazz in amongst the Spanish favorites. And occasional sound effects (senoritas giggling, drinks pouring, car sounds, etc). Not a bad track on the whole thing. Nice.

What are you spinning?

I, Z

[ This Message was edited by: I, Zombie 2010-05-12 10:12 ]

View Profile of I, Zombie Send a personal message to I, Zombie  Email I, Zombie Goto the website of I, Zombie     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Vince Martini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-12 06:59 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-05-11 21:07, I, Zombie wrote:
Hi everyone,

Here's what I'm spinning on my turntable tonight.

Stellar Stereo Dynamica type LP by Kenyon Hopkins. Some undertones of hip Jazz in amongst the Spanish favorites. And occasional sound effects (senoritas giggling, drinks pouring, car sounds, etc). Not a bad track on the whole thing. Nice.

What are you spinning?

I, Z

I hope I am not disowned by this group of audiophiles for this one. But...

I've stopped collecting vinyl.

Nonetheless, the CD I am currently spinning is a mixed compliation titled, "Music for a Bachelor's Den (in Hi-Fi)." This is a nice pre-summer blend to help chase away to regular rigors of the work day. I have it on repeat, so it plays like my own office Muzak. You folks probably own this recording, but here is the playlist:

Once in a While - Terry Snyder
Love For Sale - Arthur Lyman Group
You're Driving Me Crazy (What Do I DO) - Jackie Gleason and his Orchestra
Sunset Strip - David Rose and his Orchestra
Moonglow and Love Theme from 'Picnic' - Morris Stoloff and the Columbia Pictures Studio Orchestra
Medley: As Long As I Live/Let's Live Agaian - George Shearing Quintet
Like Young - Linda Lawson
Theme from 'Route 66' - Nelson Riddle and his Orchestra
Ill Wind - John Buzon Trio
Quiet Village (Long Version) - The Exotic Sounds of Martin Denny
Yellow Bird - Arthur Lyman Group
Moritat (A Theme from the Threepenny Opera) - The Dick Hyman Trio
So Rare - Jimmy Dorsey
Theme From "The Honeymooners" (Melancholy Serenade - Jackie Gleason and his Concert Orchestra
Around The World (From "Around the World in 80 Days") - Studio Orchestra Conducted by Victor Young

In the afternoons, I will interchange this CD with my scratch version of the Reverburritos upcoming CD Electric Combover, for a little more upbeat surf action. It just makes the work day that much more enjoyable!

[ This Message was edited by: Vince Martini 2010-05-12 07:05 ]

View Profile of Vince Martini Send a personal message to Vince Martini  Email Vince Martini Goto the website of Vince Martini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
I, Zombie
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-12 10:16 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-05-12 06:59, Vince Martini wrote:

I hope I am not disowned by this group of audiophiles for this one. But...

I've stopped collecting vinyl.

Nonetheless, the CD I am currently spinning is a mixed compliation titled, "Music for a Bachelor's Den (in Hi-Fi)."

Vince, looks like a sweet compilation. No, I don't have it, though I have a handful of the LPs some of the tracks come from.

Oh, and I changed the title of the thread. I collect vinyl, but I don't have anything against CDs or MPs. As long as I can hear the music!

What else are people spinning?

I,Z

View Profile of I, Zombie Send a personal message to I, Zombie  Email I, Zombie Goto the website of I, Zombie     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiG
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-12 10:30 am   Permalink

Not exotica but anarchia class of '65...always on tap at my pad.
AAAAaaaaaaargghhhhhhhyeah!yeah!yeah!!!

tiki since '67!

View Profile of TikiG Send a personal message to TikiG  Email TikiG     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
little lost tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-12 10:59 am   Permalink

i usually make a mental playlist
before i reach the studio after work.....
Bach's Mass in B-Minor
a Monks CD from Squid
and the Melvins "Nude in Boots" CD
as well as Sven's Sound of Tiki compilation...
great tunes to accompany an evening of painting tonight!

www.KENRUZIC.COM is Open to the Public!
(Which i update every so often)
I'm on FaceBook too-Go cheggitout!)

View Profile of little lost tiki Send a personal message to little lost tiki  Email little lost tiki Goto the website of little lost tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Quarterto3
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-05-12 7:18 pm   Permalink

To commemorate the passing of Mr. Francis Albert Sinatra 12 years ago this Friday, it's been a week of nothing but Sinatra. Currently, Softly as I Leave You is spinning on the hi fi.

View Profile of Quarterto3 Send a personal message to Quarterto3      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Vince Martini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-12 7:57 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-05-12 19:18, Quarterto3 wrote:
To commemorate the passing of Mr. Francis Albert Sinatra 12 years ago this Friday, it's been a week of nothing but Sinatra. Currently, Softly as I Leave You is spinning on the hi fi.

ABSOLUTELY FANTABULOUS!!!

I was digging a little Sinatra/Jobim this past Saturday. Just SO relaxing! As far as I am concerned, this is STILL Sinatra's world and I just live in it and worship him!

View Profile of Vince Martini Send a personal message to Vince Martini  Email Vince Martini Goto the website of Vince Martini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-12 8:34 pm   Permalink

I posted this before, chicky baby......and got hardly any responses...anyway, I think YOU will appreciate this!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1bVpbu8bXQ

"yer jus not tuned into the series of tubes yet, let it soak in".

[ This Message was edited by: lucas vigor 2010-05-12 20:35 ]

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Vince Martini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-12 9:30 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-05-12 20:34, lucas vigor wrote:
I posted this before, chicky baby......and got hardly any responses...anyway, I think YOU will appreciate this!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1bVpbu8bXQ

"yer jus not tuned into the series of tubes yet, let it soak in".

[ This Message was edited by: lucas vigor 2010-05-12 20:35 ]

You are very gracious, Lucas. That was quite a treat! I never get enough of that stuff. I think the picture below is when the band was performing 'Girl from Ipenema' or 'I'm Coming Home'...one of those tunes.

Mahalo!!!

I, Zombie
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-13 05:43 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-05-12 20:34, lucas vigor wrote:
I posted this before, ....

WOW -- that clip is AMAZING! Thanks for sharing! I love how Frank lights up after introducing Jobim.

I,Z

lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-13 05:54 am   Permalink

I love that it's totally live, yet sounds like they recorded it in a studio! I have always wanted this album, of course....but it's usually out of print or too expensive.

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
I, Zombie
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-13 09:11 am   Permalink

Here's another LP that spent a lot of time on the turntable last night.

Am I hearing right? Is this German imported "Tanz" budget-bin find actually filled with Production library gems - some that are classics of the genre??? Not sure if there are many Production Library geeks out there on Tiki Central, but keep an eye out for this LP. It could easily show up in a thrift store or in dollar bin, since it has all the signs of your typical beer-stein-swinging Kraut Pop LP, but it's not.

I, Zombie
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-14 12:12 pm   Permalink

Looking forward to kicking back with a cocktail and this record tonight!

I'm also adding it to the playlist I'm working on for a DJ gig Saturday afternoon at a record sale!

Piratiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-05-14 5:52 pm   Permalink

iTunes Playlist called "Lazar's Taste of Exotica" from a rarely updated Blog.

[ This Message was edited by: Piratiki 2010-05-14 18:02 ]

View Profile of Piratiki Send a personal message to Piratiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Big Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-15 5:33 pm   Permalink

View Profile of Big Kahuna Send a personal message to Big Kahuna  Email Big Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation