FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Anyone seen this mug before? Even more confused on June 9, 2010
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Anyone seen this mug before? Even more confused on June 9, 2010
Psycho Tiki D
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-12 10:47 am   Permalink

Never seen this one before? Have you?

Thanks for the help!

PTD

[ This Message was edited by: Psycho Tiki D 2010-06-09 14:53 ]

View Profile of Psycho Tiki D Send a personal message to Psycho Tiki D  Email Psycho Tiki D     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-12 12:28 pm   Permalink

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
WestADad
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-12 12:31 pm   Permalink

Ha!

Chris

[ This Message was edited by: WestADad 2010-05-12 12:32 ]

View Profile of WestADad Send a personal message to WestADad  Email WestADad     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
leleliz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-12 12:34 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-05-12 12:28, Unga Bunga wrote:

lmao!

Unga you are the best for comedic relief!

Duane never seen it before--markings?

View Profile of leleliz Send a personal message to leleliz      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Psycho Tiki D
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-12 12:56 pm   Permalink

Can't tell about markings just yet. I purchased it today based soley on the one picture. It almost appears to be Westwood? I will know more once I get it.

From what I can tell from Unga's picture, it looks like it might be based on a couple of tikis outside a long forgot about place. Maybe this mug used to be from there and used at a Tahitian Witco bar?

PTD

View Profile of Psycho Tiki D Send a personal message to Psycho Tiki D  Email Psycho Tiki D     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-12 1:07 pm   Permalink

Never seen that thang before! While the body is Tiki, the face looks more Pre-Columbian (aka pop primitivist), maybe it was used at Mexican eateries. I have seen this green glaze used for South American liquor decanters before.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Psycho Tiki D
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-13 06:19 am   Permalink

Unga,

You wouldn't happen to know if the image of this tiki was used on "moist towelette" packing would you?

Thanks for your help!

PTD

Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-13 08:11 am   Permalink

It actually reminds me of one of the Tiki bars from Spain.

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Psycho Tiki D
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-09 3:02 pm   Permalink

Well, after nearly a month of waiting and dealing with the seller on this item (lost in the mail, sent another one, fun eBay stuff) this finally arrived today.

Listed as a "Tiki Candleholder" it looked like a mug to me from the picture. Now I am not sure what it is? 12" tall, it could be a vase. The image is flipped on either side?

Anyone have any idea about this??

PTD

uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-09 5:25 pm   Permalink

That thing would hold a damn big candle. I am leaning toward a hobbyist vase. Or fill it up with a huge Mai Tai.

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SilverLine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-10 07:24 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-06-09 15:02, Psycho Tiki D wrote:

I'm confused as well. This pic looks like it has a solid top/lid or something, yet in the others it's clearly open. In this shot it looks like somebody used an old ceramic electrical insulator as a partial mold for the top.

Yes? No?

Classic Silver Line Boats

View Profile of SilverLine Send a personal message to SilverLine  Goto the website of SilverLine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MondoMcGonzo
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-06-10 07:37 am   Permalink

I have this guy in brown! I got it a few years ago at a flea market and have never seen another like it. I'll try to remember to take a pic of it tonight when I get home.

View Profile of MondoMcGonzo Send a personal message to MondoMcGonzo  Goto the website of MondoMcGonzo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Psycho Tiki D
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-10 08:44 am   Permalink

Oops, double post!

[ This Message was edited by: Psycho Tiki D 2010-06-10 12:15 ]

Psycho Tiki D
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-10 08:44 am   Permalink

I think this was supposed to be a vase of some sort? The bottom does look like an old insulator and I think it was made that was for stability. It is pretty big and would probably hold the equivelent of 3 good sized Mai Tai's.

Curious to see the picture of the brown one!

PTD

Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-10 12:05 pm   Permalink

The bottom is an ashtray, I tried to buy one a couple of years ago from a seller in Florida (The only place these seem to come from)
It was listed as a reversible Ashtray/Vase, I was told it was from the 1960's by that seller & they had it about that long.
No markings at all, Design does look to be primitive Aztec/pop influenced.

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation