FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Intoxica!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
Intoxica!
woofmutt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-19 06:54 am   Permalink

This is great, we have a test copy to figure out a market price. In a week those of us who own copies will know if our net worth is greater than we thought or much less. So exciting. (Hopefully people will refrain from bidding merely to increase the sense of self worth.)

View Profile of woofmutt Send a personal message to woofmutt  Email woofmutt Goto the website of woofmutt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Beachbumz
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-06-19 09:21 am   Permalink

I'll be following the auction very closely, down to the minute..... I just pulled my copy out of the bank's vault today, putting on the gloves now to take a look now..

View Profile of Beachbumz Send a personal message to Beachbumz  Email Beachbumz Goto the website of Beachbumz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ZeroTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-19 10:14 am   Permalink

I work in a new & used bookstore in california, and the book that you see with the big dollar tags (if they come in) is Sven's Big Book, esp. the larger version. This may have something to do with the fact that I ensure that any and all ohana that cross my doorstep know what tiki books we have in stock-

Amazon prices are what most used booksellers mark down from, as they tend to be asking rather than selling prices. I'll be interested to see if this gets bidded past $25.

Zero

View Profile of ZeroTiki Send a personal message to ZeroTiki  Email ZeroTiki Goto the website of ZeroTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
blue.octopus
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-06-21 12:11 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-05-20 06:45, tedtiki wrote:
It's only $149.95 here.

http://www.alibris.com/booksearch?binding=&mtype=&keyword=intoxica&hs.x=0&hs.y=0&hs=Submit

As the starter of this post I thought I'd better come back and let you all know I didn't pay $2000 for a copy

following the above quoted post I looked at Alibris and found a "nearly new" copy listed for $7 plus postage! Safe to say I hit the check out button very swiftly and after a long wait for it to float across the atlantic I now have a copy.

Just goes to show - don't pay the silly prices advertised - just keep looking.

View Profile of blue.octopus Send a personal message to blue.octopus      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
woofmutt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-23 8:50 pm   Permalink

SEVEN DOLLARS???

Well that's good for you and sucks for the rest of us. That means I'm practically worthless. (Don't tell my ex-wives I finally admitted to that.)

Oh!
The one in the eBay auction is up to a hot hot hot twenty one and a half bucks!

Yes! Woofmutt is still a player!

View Profile of woofmutt Send a personal message to woofmutt  Email woofmutt Goto the website of woofmutt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-23 11:12 pm   Permalink

Well the price is almost the same as getting this on Amazon.com now
so if you want the remixed version everyone can still get a copy.
WOW! THAT'S A LOW PRICE!!!

Quote:

On 2010-06-01 23:06, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
Or you can just pop onto Amazon.com.
order this (Beachbum Berry Remixed Anthology - Includes Grog Log & Intoxica)
for $25 and save all the cash for Tiki Oasis! or liquor & mixes to make those Intoxica drinks.

Oh look! here is a link, how easy is that?
http://www.amazon.com/Beachbum-Berry-Remixed-Anthology-Intoxica/dp/B003D87FE0/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1275458256&sr=8-7

Now enjoy some common sense & drink safe.

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
woofmutt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-24 12:49 am   Permalink

Yes, the content is available inexpensively in another form.

Except...

That doesn't account for the fevered mind of the impassioned collector. Sure, the content might be in Remixed but it's not the original Intoxica! (How does one end a sentence with a title that contains an exclamation point without making the sentence seem exclamatory?)

Personally when it comes to books or music I'm a content guy. I'm just fine with having an eleven hundredth edition of Bridges of Madison County because the beautiful story of a mute alien structural engineer from the future falling in love with a deaf human geothermal scientist in the present* is still the same.

But other people want that first edition. They obviously value the content but they also want a physical connection to the moment that content was made available to the masses.

And I have to admit, it is pretty cool holding a first edition of an old book or original pressing of an LP I love because the item was actually part of the moment when the greatness dawned.

But it's one thing to have been one of the few people who actually bought The Velvet Underground's The Velvet Underground album when it was originally released, another to shell out hundreds of dollars decades later for a copy of that origianl release.

*I think that's what Bridges of Madison county is about. I've never read it, only seen the cover with the picture of the covered bridge and the lasers shooting out of it.

woofmutt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-27 10:33 pm   Permalink

Apparently rumors of extreme value have been exaggerated.

Winning bid for a like new copy of Intoxica!: $53.88

Trader Rick
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-06-30 1:07 pm   Permalink

I checked on Amazon a few minutes ago and the cheapest copy is $65. I still think that is outrageous! I guess if you are a completist and have to have it, fine, but the recipes in the REMIXED volume are a better value if you are looking for a book to use mixing drinks instead of having a complete set.

View Profile of Trader Rick Send a personal message to Trader Rick  Email Trader Rick     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2010-06-30 1:52 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-06-30 13:07, Trader Rick wrote:
I checked on Amazon a few minutes ago and the cheapest copy is $65. I still think that is outrageous! I guess if you are a completist and have to have it, fine, but the recipes in the REMIXED volume are a better value if you are looking for a book to use mixing drinks instead of having a complete set.

I'm not selling my copy but don't forget though, not all of the recipes in Intoxica (or the Grog Log for that matter) have been ported over to Remixed. According to this thread,
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=35704&forum=10&start=105 it is mentioned that 28 recipes from Intoxica and the Grog Log were left out of Remixed.

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Tiki Central Poet Laureate

Posted: 2010-07-01 5:05 pm   Permalink

Too true.

That jet-fuel concoction of a Mai Tai that they serve at the Bali Hai in San Diego was left out of "Remixed" - probably because a lot of people can't stand it. However, I love that drink, so if I want to make it, I've got to go to my original copy of "Intoxica".

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation