FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars Did you know there is PALM trees in Michigan???
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Did you know there is PALM trees in Michigan???
TikiMeplus3
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-05-22 3:40 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-05-21 17:29, MadDogMike wrote:
TikiMe, these faux palm cell phone towers are common in California but it occured to me you probably don't have them in Michigan

Shows you what happens when money is no object and the government gets involved

No we dont have such cell phone towers but MINE can pick up 3 countries and the reception is fantastic!!!! LOL

View Profile of TikiMeplus3 Send a personal message to TikiMeplus3  Email TikiMeplus3     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
littlegiles
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-22 6:10 pm   Permalink

The cell phone tower is too cool. We don't have them in NC/SC either that I have seen.

Love the nightime pics with the lights on. I'm ready to come over and relax while. Nice job!

View Profile of littlegiles Send a personal message to littlegiles  Email littlegiles     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiMeplus3
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-05-23 07:00 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-05-22 18:10, littlegiles wrote:
The cell phone tower is too cool. We don't have them in NC/SC either that I have seen.

Love the nightime pics with the lights on. I'm ready to come over and relax while. Nice job!

If your making a trip to michigan or near, YOUR INVITED!! thanks for your comments..

View Profile of TikiMeplus3 Send a personal message to TikiMeplus3  Email TikiMeplus3     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jimsflies
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-02 1:44 pm   Permalink

I'm in Michigan...and that is awesome!

Do you have any build thread or pics you can share (of the tree or the bar)?

View Profile of jimsflies Send a personal message to jimsflies  Goto the website of jimsflies     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiMeplus3
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-06-02 5:06 pm   Permalink

I do have other photos on here just use michigan in the search bar, they should come up.

MondoMcGonzo
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-06-10 07:22 am   Permalink

That's great! Do you keep the bar up year-round? Cover it with a tarp during winter?

View Profile of MondoMcGonzo Send a personal message to MondoMcGonzo  Goto the website of MondoMcGonzo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiMeplus3
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-06-12 9:06 pm   Permalink

My bar stays up year round, I just take most things down and store but the palm tree stays put but I do remove the coconuts and natural items from it, I usually paint them every year to make them look nice. Thats the reason for the metal roof on the bar, no maintence like I would have with thatch, but I sure would like to use that type of material. The synethic thatch is way to expensive for my blood.

Bau
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-08-05 07:33 am   Permalink

you CAN grow live palms in cold climates, with certain species ....

http://hubpages.com/hub/What-are-the-Best-Palm-Trees-for-Cold-Climates

I've been looking into a lot of different cold hardy and tropical cold hardy look-alikes for my garden. Just planted a needle palm and windmill palm on either side of my bar. They are young so I will realy be mulching them a lot and hope we don't have to cold a winter this year. I've read about people using heat tape in the winter, like the kind used on pipes to keep them from freezing , to protect the trunk or the tree. The high water content of the trunks of palms is what tends to make them vulnerable to freezing temps. the next plant I's like to get is cold hardy banana...

http://www.beginner-gardening.com/hardy-banana.html

View Profile of Bau Send a personal message to Bau      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ErkNoLikeFire
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-07 9:31 pm   Permalink

Your palm tree will help the winters here seem less cold. Awesome work!

View Profile of ErkNoLikeFire Send a personal message to ErkNoLikeFire  Email ErkNoLikeFire     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2010-11-19 11:56 am   Permalink

Here's a faux banana tree I saw at the Orange County fair this summer. Pole wrapped in anti-erosion landscaping burlap, metal leaf ribs draped with green upholstery vinyl

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2010-11-23 05:30 am   Permalink

In Nor-Cal, our cell towers are typically pine trees.

But I love the ingenuity of So-Cal with the palm trees.

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kawikasurf
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-11-23 12:54 pm   Permalink

Great job - truly a work of art. The bar is awesome, too. I'm always amazed by the creativity and technical skill I see on this site.

View Profile of kawikasurf Send a personal message to kawikasurf      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation