FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Cold Paint Touch Up?
Cold Paint Touch Up?
leleliz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-17 3:33 pm   Permalink

Can you touch up or paint back on the white cold paint on mugs like the Bali Hai?

If so what would you use?

I was just packing up some mugs in order to get ready to move (good lord what a pain!) and was wondering if any of these could be touched up.

Any info/ideas welcome!

[ This Message was edited by: leleliz 2010-05-17 15:33 ]

View Profile of leleliz Send a personal message to leleliz      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Fugu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-18 12:18 pm   Permalink

I used some enamel paint (the stuff you use to paint model cars, etc.) to touch up the earrings and other features on the Orchids of Hawaii headhunter mug that kind of looks like Mr. Bali Hai. The shine of the enamel looks very good on the mug- just like the cold paint from other mugs. I'm not sure that it would survive being washed (my mug is cracked, so I have never tried to use it) but for display purposes it works just fine.

View Profile of Fugu Send a personal message to Fugu      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
leleliz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-18 1:05 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the suggestion Fugu!

View Profile of leleliz Send a personal message to leleliz      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
fatuhiva
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-04 8:34 pm   Permalink

Yes, Fugu is right- you want to get the "Testor's" model paint from a hobby shop.

Usually the basic "kit" with about 6 colors and the thinner, will work great.

I've restored many painted mugs this way. I really only do it on ones that have gotten so worn from the dishwasher that they were just a flakey mess.

Using other good condition mugs or good photos of the intact mugs as a reference, I recreate the original paint job, mixing close match colors if need be.

If you have a bad, flakey original paint on there it's usually best to get that off first, so that don't end up with more flaking or a bumpy texture.

I've done some Bali Hai mugs that ended up looking like they just came out a box of mugs circa 1968..

Use a good brush, and maybe do some test painting on an old dinner plate. I suppose you could use the test plate to see how it holds up to washing too

View Profile of fatuhiva Send a personal message to fatuhiva      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-05 04:31 am   Permalink

Great thread. Thanks for the painting tips. I have a Mr. Bali Hai that looks like he has been down a hard road. I thought I might touch him up a bit but then thought again about it. He's probably seen allot of hands and drinks in his time and was lucky enough to make it to Michigan in one piece over the years. Old and tired he proudly sits up on the shelf.

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation