Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Homemade Grenadine
seabass

Posted: 2010-05-17 4:01 pm   Permalink

How does this sound....

1 cup of Lakewood Organic pure Pomegranate juice

1 cup of Wholesome Sweeteners Evaporated cane juice organic sugar

Shake in a bottle to dissolve.

Should I add more sugar or is there anything I'm missing?

View Profile of seabass Send a personal message to seabass      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
heylownine
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-05-17 6:14 pm   Permalink

My current method...I typically cook the pomegranate juice (starting with 3-4 cups) and sugar (1/2 to 1 cup) down to a syrupy consistency over low heat (no need to boil if you're patient enough*) along with a tablespoon or two of lemon juice. Once it cools, I add an ounce of white rum and bottle it. It's always gone before it has a chance to destabilize or go "bad".

kevin

* I find a cocktail already made and in my hand makes me much more patient in the kitchen.

[ This Message was edited by: heylownine 2010-05-17 18:15 ]

View Profile of heylownine Send a personal message to heylownine  Email heylownine Goto the website of heylownine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-18 05:23 am   Permalink

Take a nice big slice of lemon peel and give it a twist into your mix. The lemon oil will brighten up the flavor of the Pom and give it that little extra bit of sparkle on the tongue.

You could do the same with Orange peel if you prefer.

On a related note.... if you have a Middle-Eastern/Turkish/Greek market available poke around the shelves and see if you can find Pomegranate Paste/Syrup/Goo(because I can't translate the Arabic any other way). There are many brands and types so look carefully for the bottle that is just concentrated Pom with sugar. You can make a pretty good small-batch Grenadine with about 3 tablespoons, 1/2 cup water and 1/2 ounce light rum (or vodka).

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-18 09:26 am   Permalink

I use Ted Haigh's method: 1 part Sonoma Pomegranate Syrup mixed with 1 part PAMA Pomegranate Liqueur. It won't color your drinks candy red, but it tastes terrific. Not exactly the budget way to go, but I use so little grenadine, it goes a very long way.

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chinarose
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-05-18 11:24 am   Permalink

if you want a more intense color, get some dried jamaica/hibiscus from a mexican market, make a very strong hibisucus tea with them, then add a little of the tea to the homemade grenadine.

When I did this, I added about 1/2 cup of the dried hibiscus to a small saucepan with 1 cup of boiled water. I turned the flame to low and let it simmer for 2 minutes or so, turned the flame off, put the lid on the pot and let the mixture sit for several hours. Once I was done, I strained out all the red liquid, put it back in the pot with 2 cups of sugar, let the sugar dissolve, then mixed that with a 16 oz bottle of POM. It has a great flavor and a wonderful bright color when added to drinks. Even a teaspoon will make a very intense color.

I read somewhere (Trader Tiki's blog maybe?) about adding hibiscus to the homemade grenadine, and this is the method I used. I don't know if it's the best, but I am very happy with the results.

Next time I might try the suggestion from above and add 1 cup of the PAMA and 1 cup of POM to the tea instead of 2 cups of POM.

[ This Message was edited by: Chinarose 2010-05-18 11:27 ]

View Profile of Chinarose Send a personal message to Chinarose      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-18 1:33 pm   Permalink

I've noted about Hibiscus Grenadine, though Tiare and Chris have done much better jobs.

However, I'll be releasing my own Hibiscus Grenadine to the market very soon! It's available for pre-order, shipping in the next few weeks!

TraderTiki.com
Exotic Syrups for Tropical Mixology!

View Profile of Trader Tiki Send a personal message to Trader Tiki  Email Trader Tiki Goto the website of Trader Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mama Z

Posted: 2010-05-27 12:40 pm   Permalink

I use a cold process with equal parts POM pomegranate juice and bar sugar. Shake like hell until the sugar is dissolved. I add a splash of Skyy vodka for longer shelf life.

Couldn't be easier and tastes 1000x better than that garish store-bought crap.

View Profile of Mama Z Send a personal message to Mama Z      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tonga Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-10-12 5:37 pm   Permalink

I have seen people mention grenadine and pomegranate syrup which sound fairly similar. Is it the consistency? I read something from the Bum where he adds Orange Flower Water. Does anyone know what the original recipe ask for?

[ This Message was edited by: Tonga Tiki 2011-10-12 17:37 ]

View Profile of Tonga Tiki Send a personal message to Tonga Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
n0ir

Posted: 2011-10-17 7:29 pm   Permalink

I have both tried to reduce pomegranate juice and adding sugar and the recipe where you squeeze fresh pomegranates (easy with my ordinary Mexican elbow juicer) and add the juice to a simple syrup.

The grenadine made from reducing juice was terrible. The color looked like brown sewage. Not nice. Not nice at all! It also had quite a pronounced "cooked" taste.

The grenadine made from freshly squeezed juice was great, although a bit tart. The color was off though, but after I made a batch with a handful of dried hibiscus (found in the health store as a tea) it had a great, blood-red color. Really easy as well.

I added some pomegranate molasses, but I don´t really think it did much for the taste and it colors the grenadine brown.

View Profile of n0ir Send a personal message to n0ir      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tofukulele
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-10-17 10:02 pm   Permalink

I'm not sure what the official word is on grenadine vs. pomegranate syrup, but I just heat up pomegranate juice just a bit on the stove and dissolve raw sugar in it 1:1. I then add a smidge of Tito's vodka to help preserve it. Works nicely for me, and doesn't have a "cooked" flavor. I use Langer's pure pom juice.

View Profile of tofukulele Send a personal message to tofukulele  Goto the website of tofukulele     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr. Moto
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-10-18 05:11 am   Permalink

Jeffrey Morgenthaler has posted a recipe for homemade grenadine:

http://www.jeffreymorgenthaler.com/2009/how-to-make-your-own-grenadine/

Tracking down pomegranate molasses and orange flower water (not to mention fresh pomegranates) can be a pain, depending where you live, but the results are worth it. Good flavor and a nice rich red color.

View Profile of Mr. Moto Send a personal message to Mr. Moto      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Little fragrant Tiare
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-11-16 4:11 pm   Permalink

Here´s how i always do it - http://www.amountainofcrushedice.com/?p=2821

View Profile of Little fragrant Tiare Send a personal message to Little fragrant Tiare  Goto the website of Little fragrant Tiare     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Drifter
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2017-10-16 2:09 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-10-18 05:11, Mr. Moto wrote:
Tracking down pomegranate molasses and orange flower water (not to mention fresh pomegranates) can be a pain, depending where you live, but the results are worth it.

Tracking down is the first step, then deciding which one to buy is the next! TEN brands!!!

View Profile of Tiki Drifter Send a personal message to Tiki Drifter      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jeff Bannow
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-10-16 3:27 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2017-10-16 14:09, Tiki Drifter wrote:

Tracking down is the first step, then deciding which one to buy is the next! TEN brands!!!

Cortas is my favorite.

View Profile of Jeff Bannow Send a personal message to Jeff Bannow      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hamo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-10-16 11:17 pm   Permalink

For years I made Alton Brown’s pomegranate syrup recipe, but recently tried Martin’s recipe from the Smuggler’s Cove book, and I must say that I prefer it, especially in ease of production. Simmer two cups each pomegranate juice and sugar, then I added 3/4 oz vodka as preservative (ratio based on Robert Hess’ suggestion in his book). It fills an empty 750 ml bottle, tastes great, and has kept well.

View Profile of Hamo Send a personal message to Hamo  Goto the website of Hamo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2017 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation