FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums ╗ ╗ Tiki Events ╗ ╗ Other Events ╗ ╗ KUs reunite at the Bishop Museum, June 5 through October 4, 2010
KUs reunite at the Bishop Museum, June 5 through October 4, 2010
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-19 1:15 pm   Permalink

A most noteworthy convergence of classic Tiki carvings:

http://www.bishopmuseum.org/exhibits/comingup.html

Feel the power!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Zeta
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2010-05-19 1:26 pm   Permalink

Very cool. Maybe volcanoes will erupt and the end of the world will happen or something...
Quote:

On 2010-04-09 09:52, Zeta wrote:
Postcard from the Museum

For trade

The one in Salem Mass.
Postcard still available!

View Profile of Zeta Send a personal message to Zeta  Goto the website of Zeta     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-25 6:31 pm   Permalink

More kuul Koverage of the upcoming event:

http://www.kitv.com/video/23641997/index.html

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/2010/May/23/il/hawaii5230331.html

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-09 7:00 pm   Permalink

Awesome.

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-09 10:00 pm   Permalink

Here are the reunited three.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Koolau
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-03 9:55 pm   Permalink

Last day for viewing the three Ku's is Monday - if you are on Oahu, go. I finally went on Friday, and it was amazing to see those three carvings. Even though each tiki has different details, the most overwhelming impression was their similarity - height, size, overall shape, etc. They look so different in the individual photos, but together they are all kind of mend into one. The similarities weirdly overwhelm the differences.

One interesting thing - all three are carved out of breadfruit wood. Not a wood I see used very often - I wonder if that is partly why these three tikis survived.

First visit to the Hawaiian Hall since the restoration - looks very nice, but it is so dark! Indirect lighting, the bane of the 21st century. Some theatrical lighting would have helped . . .

More (still not many) tikis and carvings are out on display now - I was kind of embarrassed by how many thinks I recognized only due to my Hawaiian cultural instructor, Professor Coco Joe's. Low brow meets high brow, I guess.

View Profile of Koolau Send a personal message to Koolau      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation