FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki odd trader vic drink bowl- anyone know about this?
odd trader vic drink bowl- anyone know about this?
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-23 1:36 pm   Permalink

HI-

I scored this recently and could find no info on it.....i could have sworn i saw a similiar one here on t.c. somewhere....it's a trader vic drink bowl from 1971....it's got rabbits and birds around it and it's huge.....

anyone have any info??

thanks in advance.

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-05-23 2:23 pm   Permalink

Don't they usually say "Trader Vic's" instead of "Trader Vic" on the bottom?

Maybe this was from a fur trader who had his own souvenir bowl.

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-23 2:40 pm   Permalink

This rare bowl was the main influence on Babalu's Rabbittiki series!

No, seriously: Trader Vic did sculpt animals in his spare time (see Tiki Modern p.31 for a photo of the artiste):

...but he signed his sculptures with his real name:

...so that can't be it. Hmmmm....
I think Grog is right, it's some other dude with the same name.
Or did Vic ever serve rabbit stew?

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
croe67
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-23 4:37 pm   Permalink

I have a few trader vic's pieces with rabbits on them, so not unheard of.
It may have had a top at one time with a handle shaped like a rabbit, as I have seen a vic's rabbit bowl with the rabbit handle before.
I thought it would have probably been used as a serving dish for an entree.

View Profile of croe67 Send a personal message to croe67  Email croe67     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TabooDan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-23 7:39 pm   Permalink

Yep, Croe67 is right. Probably a larger serving bowl sort of dish.
I don't think seeing them marked Trader Vic's or Trader Vic can tell us too much. You can see bowls and mugs that we know come from Trader Vic's marked both ways. Just maybe different suppliers or makers.

I have seen these dishes in white, a pink color, and green as well. Sorry don't have a photo of one though. I have also seen them with and without the lid and the lid did have a rabbit right on top.

I think these are Trader Vic items just maybe something that he sold at a specific location or maybe an event?

I was thinking about it a little as I write this and searched the Year of the Rabbit but that was 1975 so doesn't really help us here. I do not know why he did these types of ceramics. He DID do these though and he did alot of different things. I have seen rabbits, ducks, frogs, seals, saber tooth tigers, and other odd animals. Most of these in sculpture form though and not ceramic but he did alot of stuff.

Here is another ceramic piece Trader Vic did do with a rabbit just so Tipsy's Rabbit Bowl isn't lonely:

There's alot of stuff out there Marked Trader Vic(s) and it would be cool to show all the different things that can be found with his name on it. Whether it's Art, Statues, Plates, Ashtrays, Mugs, Bowls, etc. Maybe a post will have to be started for EVERYTHING Trader Vic? Sure there would be a lot of common stuff that we all see daily but I bet there will be a few rare items in there. Hhhmmm....

Later, TabooDan

View Profile of TabooDan Send a personal message to TabooDan  Goto the website of TabooDan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
croe67
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-23 7:44 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-05-23 19:39, TabooDan wrote:

I've got that one, too

It's a little cutesy, but it was a Rabbit & Trader Vic's, so, well...

View Profile of croe67 Send a personal message to croe67  Email croe67     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Babalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-23 8:08 pm   Permalink

Ok,....you guys are freaking me out now....

View Profile of Babalu Send a personal message to Babalu  Email Babalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SilverLine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-26 12:47 pm   Permalink

I guess it's no weirder than that pig bowl that surfaced a a few years ago.

Classic Silver Line Boats

View Profile of SilverLine Send a personal message to SilverLine  Goto the website of SilverLine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation