FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » General Tiki » » Disneyland Hotel Remodel / Restaurant Reminiscent of the original Tahitian Terrace
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
Disneyland Hotel Remodel / Restaurant Reminiscent of the original Tahitian Terrace
Coco Joe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-27 11:11 am   Permalink

Big news…Today we’re sharing details and concept art that will give the Disneyland Hotel a fun, fresh makeover. The pool area is getting a whole new look, including a brand-new pool, all-new immersive water play area and a complete redesign of the Never Land Pool. Plans also call for a new restaurant and bar, and re-theming of the hotel’s three guest room towers.

The biggest transformation (and what I’m most looking forward to) are the changes coming to the pool area. With a nod to the iconic original park signage, “Disneyland” will be spelled out in familiar blocks atop a platform supporting two huge water slides (the larger slide will be 26 feet high and will stretch 187 feet before it plunges into a splash pool below). Reminiscent of the original Monorail station at the Disneyland Hotel, at each slide’s entrance will sit a replica Monorail Car that guests will glide through as they twist and turn their way to the pool below. The pool will also feature a third, two-lane mini slide, perfect for little ones, which is just 3 1/2 feet high and is 19 feet long.

Never Land Pool

The Never Land Pool will receive a complete cosmetic makeover but will retain its unique shape. A new, four-foot deep pool will be built between the Never Land Pool and the water play area. A footbridge will stretch over this new pool, connecting both sides of the courtyard area and giving easy access across the property. Six new cabanas will also be added. To help you visualize all these exciting, new changes, here’s a rendering from an aerial view.

Aerial View: Never Land Pool

And that’s not all! Two new dining locations will be introduced in the current location of Hook’s Pointe, Croc’s Bites and Bits, the Wine Cellar and the Lost Bar. A new “smart casual” dining concept will feature Tahitian architecture that is reminiscent of the ’50s and ’60s era of the hotel and the original Tahitian Terrace restaurant in Disneyland park. A new bar will draw on the adventure theme from the Jungle Cruise attraction.

The new water play area, pool and dining locations are scheduled to be completed by summer 2011, and the remodeled Never Land Pool is slated to be completed by summer 2012.

The hotel’s three guest room towers will be renamed to reflect Disneyland park’s distinctive lands. The Dreams Tower, currently under renovation and scheduled to be completed in 2010, will become the Adventure Tower. The Wonder Tower, next to undergo transformation and slated for completion in 2011, will be the Frontier Tower, and the Magic Tower, which will be finished in 2012, will become the Fantasy Tower. A large marquee featuring classic artwork for Adventureland, Frontierland and Fantasyland will identify each tower.

Now that you’ve heard about all these changes, what are you most excited about?
link:
http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2010/05/disneyland-hotel-makeover/
l

[ This Message was edited by: Coco Joe 2010-05-27 11:12 ]

View Profile of Coco Joe Send a personal message to Coco Joe  Email Coco Joe Goto the website of Coco Joe     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiG
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-27 11:28 am   Permalink

Great news there, Joe.

I haven't been on the Disneyland Hotel grounds in years (I almost got a job there as a audio/visual geek for corporate conferences, weddings etc - but passed it for a better gig.)

I too used to love the pool area, I guess its time to renovate all of that isn't it? That would be my pick for favorite.

Haven't talked to you in a while. Hopefully we'll meet up soon at some event. G

tiki since '67!

View Profile of TikiG Send a personal message to TikiG  Email TikiG     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-27 11:32 am   Permalink

Wow! They even said "reminiscent of the 50s and 60s era" !? But isn't that "outdated, tacky" kind of stuff?
That sounds like some hip designers are in charge again, great!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Coco Joe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-27 11:56 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-05-27 11:32, bigbrotiki wrote:
Wow! They even said "reminiscent of the 50s and 60s era" !? But isn't that "outdated, tacky" kind of stuff?
That sounds like some hip designers are in charge again, great!

any chance of Kevin Kidney being involved?

View Profile of Coco Joe Send a personal message to Coco Joe  Email Coco Joe Goto the website of Coco Joe     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hiphipahula
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2010-05-27 12:37 pm   Permalink

Great news it needed some face lifting.

View Profile of Hiphipahula Send a personal message to Hiphipahula  Email Hiphipahula Goto the website of Hiphipahula     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-27 2:28 pm   Permalink

Any chance of Bamboo Ben being involved?

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiyaki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-27 2:50 pm   Permalink

They're actually using a design reminiscent of the Tahitian terrace ? Wow, never thought I'd see the day.

I'm guessing that Kevin Kidney is involved...it would only make sense.

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-27 3:00 pm   Permalink

I don't think so, Kev and Jody don't get into the architecture aspects that much -and they are being kept way too busy here.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-27 11:12 pm   Permalink

I will have to keep an eye on that as it goes under changes.
My friends and I used to hang out at the Disneyland Hotel area back in the summers of high school years.

Jeff(btd)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Enchanted Tiki Guy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-28 10:39 am   Permalink

Coco Joe, thanks for posting that info and map! I had no idea this was the plan for the pool area. It sounds awesome! I go to Disneyland quite often, so I'm looking forward to it!

View Profile of Enchanted Tiki Guy Send a personal message to Enchanted Tiki Guy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-30 10:20 am   Permalink

Any updates on this yet?

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MauiRose
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-24 10:16 am   Permalink

From the Disney Parks blog:

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2011/02/tangaroa-terrace-trader-sams-to-join-disneyland-hotel-this-spring/

Tangaroa Terrace, Trader Sam’s to Join Disneyland Hotel This Spring

"Many of you may remember our announcement last spring about the ongoing Disneyland Hotel renovation. This exciting project gives the hotel a retro theme with a contemporary twist and adds historic and nostalgic elements of Disneyland park, circa the 1950s.

In keeping with that spirit, we are excited to announce that this spring Tangaroa Terrace and Trader Sam’s will open. The tiki-inspired design and storyline for this restaurant and bar were a perfect fit, as they tie in thematically with the mid-century modern architecture of the Disneyland Hotel and the adjacent Dream Tower, soon to be renamed Adventure Tower.

Inspired by Adventurelands from Disney Parks worldwide and the nostalgic Tahitian Terrace restaurant, located in Adventureland from 1962-1993, Tangaroa Terrace will immerse guests in a tropical setting with tiki torches and themed music. The name of the restaurant was borrowed from one of the tiki gods at the Enchanted Tiki Room. The fast-casual dining experience will include island-inspired food and beverages. The new bar, named after Trader Sam, the infamous Jungle Cruise “head” salesman, will open adjacent to Tangaroa Terrace. Trader Sam’s unique lounge experience will include interactive experiences with a bit of Disney magic you won’t want to miss.

These new locations are in addition to the new in-room décor and exterior of the hotel, as well as the new pool, immersive water play area and redesign of the Never Land Pool that will be completed later this year. Check back soon for more details on the Disneyland Hotel renovation project!"

[ This Message was edited by: MauiRose 2011-02-24 10:19 ]

View Profile of MauiRose Send a personal message to MauiRose      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MauiRose
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-24 10:20 am   Permalink

Some photos of the construction were posted on another thread:

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=38828&forum=1

View Profile of MauiRose Send a personal message to MauiRose      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-24 11:07 am   Permalink

THIS is exciting! You know, I never even enter the parks anymore (due to massive overcrowding...ugghhhh!!!) but I do stop at downtown disney and the hotel often for happy hours, either at the lost bar or at UVA....then go to the mist caves. Every year, Tiki Bong and I go down there for an afternoon of extremely drunk escapades......so I think this is going to work out real well!

PS, as a major fan of tropical ornamental foliage, the area around the hotel rocks!

peacefrogman
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-02-24 4:08 pm   Permalink

I wish they would build one at Disneyworld also.

View Profile of peacefrogman Send a personal message to peacefrogman  Email peacefrogman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation