FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Should I drink this antique rum?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Should I drink this antique rum?
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-21 1:34 pm   Permalink

[quote]
On 2010-06-17 03:42, swizzle wrote:
Quote:

On 2010-06-04 17:28, swizzle wrote:
As i'm writing this i'm sipping on some Appleton 21 y.o. which has very little left in the bottle and also has been on my shelf for a long time. This rum only became available here a couple of years ago and was/is very expensive ($175aus a bottle). When I purchased it I must say I was really not that impressed (especially at that price). I personally find that in general, most rums have an amazing aroma but that doesn't always carry through into the taste. I've also come to the conclusion that I don't like rums that have been aged for too long as I find they have too much of a woody taste to them. Ron Zacapa 23 being the exception.

The Appleton 21 was one of those rums that I felt smelt amazing on opening, but lacked the character that I enjoy in rums. Trying that same rum again now after having it sit on my shelf for at least 18 months, it's come as quite a shock to find that (I think) it has lost pretty much all of it's aroma and now, whilst still having a rummy taste to it, it is very bland, and also nothing like I remember it when I first bought it.

I wish you were here... I just acquired a vintage ceramic jug of Appleton 20 YO rum. Cork intact, it has never been opened. I am so looking forward to trying this vintage spirit! Would love to have the current 21 YO to try side by side.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
swizzle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-21 5:58 pm   Permalink

[/quote]

I wish you were here... I just acquired a vintage ceramic jug of Appleton 20 YO rum. Cork intact, it has never been opened. I am so looking forward to trying this vintage spirit! Would love to have the current 21 YO to try side by side.

[/quote]

I wish I was there also. That would certainly be very interesting to try. Last year when Appleton held the Tiki cocktail competition here there was a rum tasting beforehand where we able to taste the entire range of Appleton rums including the 30y.o. I will stand by my previous comment on not liking older rums and found that the 30y.o. definitely didn't change my opinion.
I've also sampled an 18y.o.? which I believe was called the Masters Blend. It had a purple label and was released only in Canada. Now don't get me wrong, Appleton rum is a really good product, I just find that once you know it's flavour profile you know you are drinking it regardless of it's age.

View Profile of swizzle Send a personal message to swizzle  Email swizzle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiReno
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-06-21 9:49 pm   Permalink

Dude - if you haven't decided already, I will forward the words of my cousin, who is an accomplished wine collector. "IT IS A BEVERAGE". Please treat it as such. However, if you will receive more vicarious pleasure from just looking at your sealed bottle, and admiring the liquid therein, the by all means, don't open. But consider the intended use of said bottle and BEVERAGE.
As a former wine collector, I can't tell you how many fine bottles of wine I've had to pour down the drain because I wanted to "age" them (like I knew what I was doing...not!)
You don't have a ton of money invested in this, so have fun and give it a try. If it's unbelievable, you have that story to tell. If it was rubbish, well, then it wasn't worth admiring all sealed up anyway!

View Profile of TikiReno Send a personal message to TikiReno      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-22 07:31 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-06-21 17:58, swizzle wrote:

Quote:

I wish I was there also. That would certainly be very interesting to try. Last year when Appleton held the Tiki cocktail competition here there was a rum tasting beforehand where we able to taste the entire range of Appleton rums including the 30y.o. I will stand by my previous comment on not liking older rums and found that the 30y.o. definitely didn't change my opinion.
I've also sampled an 18y.o.? which I believe was called the Masters Blend. It had a purple label and was released only in Canada. Now don't get me wrong, Appleton rum is a really good product, I just find that once you know it's flavour profile you know you are drinking it regardless of it's age.

I agree. A lot of the more aged rums get a harsh character to them.

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-02 3:26 pm   Permalink

I just received this mini from a nice older lady that I know. She got it on a trip to Hawaii years ago. It is still sealed. Is it still good and should I try it?

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-11 12:45 pm   Permalink

bump

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
arriano
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-11 2:45 pm   Permalink

If you're concerned about it, you can send the bottle to me and I'll drink it. If you don't hear back from me, that means it wasn't safe to drink.

View Profile of arriano Send a personal message to arriano      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-11 11:49 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-02-02 15:26, uncle trav wrote:
I just received this mini from a nice older lady that I know. She got it on a trip to Hawaii years ago. It is still sealed. Is it still good and should I try it?

depends. Do you wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach?

View Profile of thePorpoise Send a personal message to thePorpoise  Email thePorpoise     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TIKIWAGON
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2011-02-12 02:16 am   Permalink

Hey Tim
Shame you didnt come over to Vic,s last saturday and we could have sampled it for you (just to make sure you wouldnt get poisoned of course!)Good find by the way

View Profile of TIKIWAGON Send a personal message to TIKIWAGON  Email TIKIWAGON Goto the website of TIKIWAGON     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kon-Hemsby
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-13 12:38 am   Permalink

Just bloody open it already!

View Profile of Kon-Hemsby Send a personal message to Kon-Hemsby  Email Kon-Hemsby     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
captnkirk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-16 07:16 am   Permalink

I am not an expert on this however...

I am sure the rum is still drinkable, I hear all the time about bars and tikiphiles making exquisite drinks using very old rums. The most expensive cocktail in the world according to Guiness is a Trader Vic's Mai Tai that is mixed using the exact same rums Trader Vic used (which are at least 100 years old by now).

The absinthe and pastis I would take a pass on. I own a 125 year old bottle of Edouard Pernod Absinthe which was opened in the 1920s. It has air oxidized and tastes like wet cardboard flavored vodka. The green color and delicate herbal flavor of this liquor lasts almost forever in a perfectly sealed bottle, however it will go off very quickly in an opened bottle.

I have a bottle of Okolehao from the 1970s. From time to time I will make a drink with it or taste it. It has not changed in flavor or appearance since I have owned it. I would assume like a brandy its flavor should last at least long as it does.

View Profile of captnkirk Send a personal message to captnkirk  Goto the website of captnkirk     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
arriano
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-16 08:32 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-02-16 07:16, captnkirk wrote:
I own a 125 year old bottle of Edouard Pernod Absinthe which was opened in the 1920s. It has air oxidized and tastes like wet cardboard flavored vodka.

Not being a fan of licorice flavor at all, wet cardboard vodka sounds like an improvement to me.

View Profile of arriano Send a personal message to arriano      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr. Moto
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-02-16 10:24 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-02-16 07:16, captnkirk wrote:
I own a 125 year old bottle of Edouard Pernod Absinthe which was opened in the 1920s. It has air oxidized and tastes like wet cardboard flavored vodka. The green color and delicate herbal flavor of this liquor lasts almost forever in a perfectly sealed bottle, however it will go off very quickly in an opened bottle.

I'm not surprised that the contents of a bottle of absinthe opened some 90 years ago have gone off. However, absinthe does not oxidize very quickly. I have bottles in my basement that have been open for 5 years and still taste wonderful. In fact, most absinthes mellow and "open up" appreciably during the first 6-9 months after the bottle is opened, improving significantly with the exposure to air.

A few years ago, I was lucky enough to receive a sample from a sealed bottle of 1910 Pernod Fils as a gift and it was divine.

View Profile of Mr. Moto Send a personal message to Mr. Moto      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nature boy
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-02-16 12:03 pm   Permalink

If you do drink it, record it and put it on Youtube.

View Profile of nature boy Send a personal message to nature boy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
swizzle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-15 03:14 am   Permalink

As this was the closest thread i could find to miniature bottles i thought i'd bump this thread as opposed to starting a pointless new one that happens so often around here.

I found these in an antique store in Florida while travelling in the U.S. last month.

The Lambs and Lemon Hart rum bottles, although the labels look aged, i'm sure are not really old at all but the Chartreuse bottle looks like it could be. After doing an internet search all i could find out about the Wray & Nephew was the following labels and a taster commenting that it reminded him of Drambuie.

It appears it could still be available in Jamaica and this modern looking label lends weight to that.

My mini bottle looks like it might be from the same era as this bottle and advertisment, although it does not have a screw down cap. It has a cap similar to a can of fish or cat food, where you lift up a ring and pull the entire cap upwards.

Anybody seen or tried this before?

View Profile of swizzle Send a personal message to swizzle  Email swizzle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation