FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki The Tropics, Beverly Hills, CA (restaurant)
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
The Tropics, Beverly Hills, CA (restaurant)
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-31 11:19 am   Permalink

Name:The Tropics
Type:restaurant
Street:421 N. Rodeo Drive
City:Beverly Hills
State:CA
Zip:
Phone:

Description:
The Tropics was opened by Harry "Sugie" Sugarman in Beverly Hills in 1936. This was one of the earliest of the Pre-Polynesian Pop power houses that catered to the motion picture industry. The Tropics was purchased by Steven Crane and turned into the Luau in 1953, what a history.

I have the classic fold-out menu mailer with the three monkeys. There are several versions of this one.

I have also seen other items from The Tropics:

A souvenir photo with a nice view of the interior

A menu from the Chinese Buddha Room.

This is a cool advertising hand bill.

A close-up of the bamboo bar.

The bar looks similar to the first bar at the Luau, as scene in this postcard I have.

Here is an early photo of the exterior of the building after it became the Luau in 1953.

My understanding is that Sugarman opened a second Tropics in Hollywood.

DC

[ This Message was edited by: Dustycajun 2010-05-31 15:46 ]

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Mr. Unreasonable

Posted: 2010-05-31 11:33 am   Permalink

The other Tropics was at Sunset and Vine but I believe these places were more monkey and less Tiki if any. It later became an Ah Fong's.

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-31 12:12 pm   Permalink

Thanks BB. I found an article in LA magazine that talked about the second Tropics in Hollywood..

He also started the Hollywood Walk of Fame, cool.

Sugarman sold The Tropics in Hollywood to Harry Arnheim. I have a matchbook from this era.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
1961surf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-31 1:41 pm   Permalink

Great post DC ..thanks.

View Profile of 1961surf Send a personal message to 1961surf  Email 1961surf Goto the website of 1961surf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Shaker
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2010-05-31 6:31 pm   Permalink

Here 's the other link where we touched on the other Tropics.

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=30851&forum=1

View Profile of Tiki Shaker Send a personal message to Tiki Shaker  Email Tiki Shaker     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-01 12:23 pm   Permalink

Tiki Shaker, thanks for posting that link. I remember that thread now and had no idea back then that the Tropics on Vine was actually Sugie's second one.

As for the Vine location, I am still somewhat confused about the time line. It looks like the same building was Sugie's Tropics, then Arnheim's Tropics, then Tom Brenemans', and finally Ah Fongs.

Here is an old postcard showing a night-time scene of the original Sugie's Tropics. You can see the bowling alley next door.

Sugie sold the Tropics to Harry Arnheim in the mid 1940's.

Here is the photo of the Tropics that Bora Boris posted - it looks different now, maybe the Arnheim era.

Here is the interior postcard from the Harry Arnheim's Tropics.

Arnheim must have sold the place to Tom Breneman. Here is a postcard I have showing the interior of Breneman's - it is the same as the Arnheim Tropics postcard.

I think that Ah Fongs then took over the Tom Breneman's place when Breneman moved next door into the bowling alley, as seen in these photos from Tiki Shaker's post.

How does that sound??

DC

abstractiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-01 6:19 pm   Permalink

Sounds great, fantastic thread that really needed to be done. Great pre tiki history shown here.

View Profile of abstractiki Send a personal message to abstractiki  Email abstractiki Goto the website of abstractiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-17 09:36 am   Permalink

The menu I have and posted at the beginning of the thread featured the wine list. Must have been an early version, as the menu changed to tropical drinks named after movie stars. Here is that version of the menu that Sven posted a while ago.

Also found this image of another Tropics menu type made of wood.

A few matchbooks styles, including the raised breasts variety.

DC

Bay Park Buzzy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-17 5:18 pm   Permalink

Here's one with the same graphics but different phone numbers, and the full view of the interior:

Buzzy Out!

View Profile of Bay Park Buzzy Send a personal message to Bay Park Buzzy  Email Bay Park Buzzy Goto the website of Bay Park Buzzy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-07 7:43 pm   Permalink

The Tiki Transmission Tradition evidenced early here with a knock-off matchbook from the Tropics located in Burlingame, California.

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-09 6:22 pm   Permalink

Here is another menu from the Beverly Hills Tropics featuring your host Sugie on the cover.

An interesting bio

The drinks, all named after stars with a punch line.

Some good stuff here.

DC

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-09 10:38 pm   Permalink

Oh yes, forgotten drinks and forgotten names....this is where I saw the Rum, Gum & Lime first, one of my faves now at the Tiki Ti.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-20 07:20 am   Permalink

Here are three photos of the Tropics I found at the Los Angeles Library photographic collection, which I checked out after seeing Abstractiki's posts.

The first one stated that the man on the left was Charlie Chaplin.

The second one was from a New Years eve party, note the custom Tropics tablecloth.

The last one is another street view.

DC

abstractiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-20 08:21 am   Permalink

I would love to have one of those table cloths. Charlie just doesn't look the same with out his mustache.

Nice post DC, that is one of the best collections. A lot of the different archives charge money or make you get a library card from the local library that holds the collection. That can be a chore so Mahalo to the LA Library.

View Profile of abstractiki Send a personal message to abstractiki  Email abstractiki Goto the website of abstractiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-03-30 9:09 pm   Permalink

Found another old photo on line from the Beverly Hills Tropics.

The dinner menu, drink menu and matchbook proudly displayed.

DC

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation