FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events California Events Tropical Lorakeets Stockton California 06-09/2010
Tropical Lorakeets Stockton California 06-09/2010
danlovestikis
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2010-06-02 7:50 pm   Permalink

Dan and I had the very best time today. Mickey Grove Park on Armstrong road just north of Stockton is a beautiful place. There is a Japanese garden to wander through and a small tropical zoo. Bamboo is everywhere. This summer they have Lorakeets. You pay $1 per cup of juice and you get to feed them. We went through 10 cups in 30 minutes and it was worth it. I feel like we went on vacation to somewhere special. Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LOL Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-03 12:02 am   Permalink

Wow - that's a blast from the past. I went on many elementary school field trips to the Micke's Grove zoo; nice to hear that it's still around!

Ovarian Cancer Research

View Profile of LOL Tiki Send a personal message to LOL Tiki  Email LOL Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2010-06-03 05:11 am   Permalink

Great pictures Wendy. Those Lorakeets are cute as can be. Thanks for sharing, looks like a great place to "vacation."

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-03 08:33 am   Permalink

I love tropical ornamental gardens of all types. Over here we have the Fullerton Arboretum, which is free and always open to the public.

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2010-06-03 5:19 pm   Permalink

LOL Tiki there were buses of kids yesterday. They had to give the birds a half hour break or else they would be too full to keep on drinking.

Vamp always fun to read your notes. I'm ready to go back.

Lucas where are you located, I don't know that garden.

Cheers, Wendy

[ This Message was edited by: danlovestikis 2010-06-03 17:20 ]

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
1961surf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-03 5:35 pm   Permalink

Great pics and awesome colors on these birds.
Thanks for sharing Dan and Wendy.

View Profile of 1961surf Send a personal message to 1961surf  Email 1961surf Goto the website of 1961surf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-03 8:51 pm   Permalink

Wow, beautiful! I love that kind of direct contact with exotic species. Wonderful.

That kinda reminds me of me and Diego on Waikiki beach many moons ago:

A completely natural, un-posed situation!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rugbymatt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-03 9:10 pm   Permalink

How cool!

View Profile of rugbymatt Send a personal message to rugbymatt  Email rugbymatt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CheekyGirl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-03 9:42 pm   Permalink

I had a friend that used to breed exotic birds...I used to call that colorful Lorakeet a "watermelon" bird.

We still get a few parrots from the old Bush Gardens here in the San Fernando Valley.

View Profile of CheekyGirl Send a personal message to CheekyGirl  Email CheekyGirl Goto the website of CheekyGirl     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2010-06-03 11:30 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-06-03 17:19, danlovestikis wrote:

...Lucas where are you located, I don't know that garden...]

Wendy, Mickey Grove Park looks like a great place and Lorakeets are always fun. The Santa Barbara Zoo used to have some but recently got rid of them. Bad move on their part.

The Fullerton Arboretum that Lucas is referring to is located in Fullerton! (Southern California, Orange County)

In fact I was just there for the first time a few weeks ago and I have to concur that it's a great place.
Here's a photo of me in one of the incredible trees there.

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2010-06-04 8:40 pm   Permalink

Holy cow....that is some kind of a tree alright...wonder if they use "miracle grow"!!!

Wendy, I used to have a parrot similar to a Lorikeet same size and dramatic coloring. He was a black headed Caique. He had orange bloomers (plumage) so I called him Popeye. He made a sound just like my phone ringing, so I would get up to go answer it only to realize it was him. This is not a picture of him but he looked exactly like this. My husband was not really fond of him as he was pretty wild and would only sit on my lap. I ended up giving him to a Caique breeder.

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2010-06-05 4:51 pm   Permalink

Loved the stories and photos. I want to go to that garden and to see that tree. Hey Sven were we on the same vacation? Wendy

danlovestikis
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2010-06-26 08:54 am   Permalink

There's still time to go. Wendy

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-27 08:49 am   Permalink

Wendy, we ARE on the same vacation, all of us, all the time !

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation