FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Music Honolulu Rock-A Roll-A (aka the Hulabilly Thread ??)
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Honolulu Rock-A Roll-A (aka the Hulabilly Thread ??)
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-02 10:44 pm   Permalink

I came across this song "Honolulu Rock-A Roll-A".

by a country western singer Moon Mullican.

I'm assuming he wrote it. Is this a pretty obscure song?

I'm not familiar with it but then my Honky-Tonk listening only goes as far as Hank Williams.

Eartha Kitt also covered it.

It's classic !!

[ This Message was edited by: JOHN-O 2012-08-28 18:11 ]

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-03 08:19 am   Permalink

Hawaii in Country music is an interesting side-genre of Poly pop music. This is not the only song where country singers thematize it, usually in a humorous way. The slide guitar/Hawaiian cowboy connection and the white trash backround of Tiki and Country made that an easy choice. There's Hillbilly Hula Girl, Let's Talk Dirty in Hawaiian....does anyone remember other examples?

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
msteeln
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-03 1:04 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-06-03 08:19, bigbrotiki wrote:The slide guitar

Make that the STEEL guitar, originally known as the Hawaiian steel guitar, even during Moon's era.
Slide guitar is a whole 'nuther animule.
Sorry to be anal, butt steelers prefer the fret lines not to be blurred.

Mainland composers/groups used Hawaii and the steel to great advantage in country and other genres of music for decades back when the steel was huge. It's hardly thot of these days...

View Profile of msteeln Send a personal message to msteeln  Email msteeln     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-04 5:31 pm   Permalink

The musical island of Hulabilly !! ...

Honolulu Rock-A Roll-A by Moon Muligan (Here's a version by Eartha Kitt)

2. Everybody Does It In Hawaii by Jimmie Rodgers (Love that yodeling !!)

3. Hawaiian Cowboy by Roy Rogers (More yodeling !!)

4. Hula Rock by Bill Browning

5. Bop-A-Hula by Jimmy Newman

6. Hillbilly Hula by Jenks "Tex" Carman

7. Hula Boogie by Tommy Durden

8. Hawaiian Boogie by Elmore James

9. Hula Bop by Smokey Joe Baugh

10. Me Rock-A-Hula by Bill Haley & the Comets (I think this is a song that The Hula Girls are covering now)

11. Lula Rock-A-Hula by Teresa Brewer

12. Hawaiian Rock by Tommy Sands (Better than Elvis !!)

13. Hawaiian Rock & Roll by Morgan Clarke & The Hulawains

14. Chimpanzee Rock by the Hula Hawaiians (a 1957 Rockabilly tune by a Swiss group !!)

[ This Message was edited by: JOHN-O 2012-08-29 10:50 ]

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-10-18 1:17 pm   Permalink

Double bump...

I'm really fascinated by this stuff.

[ This Message was edited by: JOHN-O 2011-10-18 13:18 ]

Luckydesigns
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-10-18 3:10 pm   Permalink

Hank Snow did a different song called 'Hula Rock' too. The Hula Girls do both 'Hula Rock' songs when we play a three set show. I'm constantly digging for those kinds of songs to add to our set. I love that 1956 Honolulu Rock-a-roll-a song!

Of course in more modern times, Junior Brown has taken a note from those songs and crafted his own country/ hawaiian hybrids such as "Hillbilly Hula Gal" and "Coconut Island".
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfuRcSRMNCQ
Junior was a big influence in helping my band to find our sound. He has our album too!

I think you put it best in the Tiki Mag article about us, John-O. These country/ Hawaiian combinations as well as our own 'hulabilly' music make up *small* islands in the archipeligo of what constitues 'tiki music'. Fun stuff. And this is period stuff too... so while it probably wasn't ever played in a tiki bar, there ARE straight hawaiian/ tiki ties to hillbilly and rockabilly.

View Profile of Luckydesigns Send a personal message to Luckydesigns  Email Luckydesigns Goto the website of Luckydesigns     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chuck Tatum is Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-10-18 6:00 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-06-03 08:19, bigbrotiki wrote:
Hawaii in Country music is an interesting side-genre of Poly pop music. This is not the only song where country singers thematize it, usually in a humorous way. The slide guitar/Hawaiian cowboy connection and the white trash backround of Tiki and Country made that an easy choice. There's Hillbilly Hula Girl, Let's Talk Dirty in Hawaiian....does anyone remember other examples?

Who you calling White Trash?

View Profile of Chuck Tatum is Tiki Send a personal message to Chuck Tatum is Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Vonratnick
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-11-02 1:36 pm   Permalink

There's always this:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtF3Yifpows

View Profile of Vonratnick Send a personal message to Vonratnick      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
arriano
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-11-03 08:45 am   Permalink

Marty Robbins also did a few country-Hawaiian albums: "Song of the Islands," "Isle of Golden Dreams," and "Hawaii's Calling Me."

View Profile of arriano Send a personal message to arriano      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-19 1:09 pm   Permalink

Tiki Oasis 2013 is gonna be HULABILLY...

[ This Message was edited by: JOHN-O 2012-08-27 12:29 ]

Bill5925
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-08-21 4:49 pm   Permalink

I've dragged my mother to T.O. the past three years. Sorry for all the ankles I've clipped with her wheelchair! I really hope she's well enough to attend next year. She's played country steel guitar since the 1950's. And if you play steel, you gotta play some Hawaiian. One of her best groups was Wild Oats (http://www.ibiblio.org/hillwilliam/BGdiscography/?v=fullrecord&albumid=6645) but she also led a pretty wild all-girl group - The Farmer's Daughters - in the 1970's. The crowds, heat and hassle were getting to her a little this year, until she heard the theme for next year. Now she's looking forward to it! See you then!!

View Profile of Bill5925 Send a personal message to Bill5925      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-25 6:31 pm   Permalink

Edit - Consolidated the song list into one post above.

[ This Message was edited by: JOHN-O 2012-08-28 17:57 ]

lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-27 12:18 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-08-19 13:09, JOHN-O wrote:

Jethro approves !!

(Plus the whole Double Naught Spy thing wasn't working out).

I can't see any band other then the Hula Girls headlining this future event. That has to happen.

I AM A SOCIOPATH!

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Luckydesigns
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-27 4:37 pm   Permalink

Thanks, Lucas.
Remember when we played Tiki Oasis #2 or #3 as the Smokin' Menenhunes? I was even trying to lead that band into the hulabilly stuff way back then too! But the SM's are WAY better as the traditional hapa haole thing that you guys have going now.

I really appreciate Otto's validation of what I have created (or THOUGHT I created anyway). I hadn't yet heard any of those songs that John-O posted. Junior Brown was the only guy that even got close to what I had in mind with "Hillbilly Hula Gal" and "Coconut Isle". Oh, and Blazing Haley had one song that was super influential to me as well.

We DO cover that Bill Haley song, John-O! It is such a great one for our genre! Bill Haley had some AMAZING songs once you get past all of his cliche hits!

Anyway, I CAN'T wait to see what Otto puts together for next year's Oasis!!

View Profile of Luckydesigns Send a personal message to Luckydesigns  Email Luckydesigns Goto the website of Luckydesigns     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-27 4:56 pm   Permalink

In my opinion, Spike, your band is the first and only hulabilly band. While its true junior brown had a couple songs, nobody has taken it to the level you have. And it's true, you had the idea for it at least 8 years ago. It's amazing what you have built I also think it is safe to say you are the originator and creater of a new genre of music. For that, you can be proud!

[ This Message was edited by: lucas vigor 2012-08-27 16:57 ]

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation