FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Music Honolulu Rock-A Roll-A (aka the Hulabilly Thread ??)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Honolulu Rock-A Roll-A (aka the Hulabilly Thread ??)
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-27 7:24 pm   Permalink

For my money, your the man Spike.....get to shakin...you only have a year to gig time!

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-28 2:08 pm   Permalink

Spike's concept for hulabilly goes way back...here I found a very early picture of the original hula girls...though we probably did not have that name yet...

I AM A SOCIOPATH!

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-28 3:08 pm   Permalink

This one is for the Bigbro...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyqC_sEwAgs

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PolynesianPop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-28 5:46 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-08-27 16:56, lucas vigor wrote:
In my opinion, Spike, your band is the first and only hulabilly band. While its true junior brown had a couple songs, nobody has taken it to the level you have. And it's true, you had the idea for it at least 8 years ago. It's amazing what you have built I also think it is safe to say you are the originator and creater of a new genre of music. For that, you can be proud!

[ This Message was edited by: lucas vigor 2012-08-27 16:57 ]

I want to second this statement. It was actually more than 8 years ago. How do I know? Well, if you'll recall, the Smokin' Menehunes played at Sydney's 1st Birthday Luau back in 2003. That was 9 years ago and although a precursor to The Hula Girls, the SM's were already doing the Hulabilly stuff in their set.

Here's a pic from that party. Spike ain't singin' no Hapa Haole - I guarantee it!

Poly-Pop *

Bartender, make mine a glass of WATAHHH!!!!!

View Profile of PolynesianPop Send a personal message to PolynesianPop  Email PolynesianPop Goto the website of PolynesianPop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-28 8:46 pm   Permalink

Oh Man! I took so much crap for wearing those clothes to that gig! Both bong and Spike literally wanted to kill me!
But, I had met those guys shortly after quitting a semi-famous HB Punk/metal band (whose name I would rather not reveal) and did not quite get the tiki "image" yet!

Those were cool early gigs for us...yours, and I believe the bamboo ben gig were among the first we ever did as a group.

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-29 11:00 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-06-04 17:31, JOHN-O wrote:

The musical island of Hulabilly !! ...

1. Honolulu Rock-A Roll-A by Moon Muligan (Here's a version by Eartha Kitt)

2. Everybody Does It In Hawaii by Jimmie Rodgers (Love that yodeling !!)

3. Hawaiian Cowboy by Roy Rogers (More yodeling !!)

4. Hula Rock by Bill Browning

5. Bop-A-Hula by Jimmy Newman

6. Hillbilly Hula by Jenks "Tex" Carman

7. Hula Boogie by Tommy Durden

8. Hawaiian Boogie by Elmore James

9. Hula Bop by Smokey Joe Baugh

10. Me Rock-A-Hula by Bill Haley & the Comets (I think this is a song that The Hula Girls are covering now)

11. Lula Rock-A-Hula by Teresa Brewer

12. Hawaiian Rock by Tommy Sands (Better than Elvis !!)

13. Hawaiian Rock & Roll by Morgan Clarke & The Hulawains

14. Chimpanzee Rock by the Hula Hawaiians (a 1957 Rockabilly tune by a Swiss group !!)

Spike defined a genre before anyone realized it was a genre !!

He should have trademarked the term "Hulabilly" to get paid royalties on Tiki Oasis 2013.

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-29 11:09 am   Permalink

And also while the steel guitar was a mainstay of early Country and Western Swing, it appears to be the exception more than the rule by the time Rockabilly took off.

Perhaps the definition of "Hulabilly" is the consistent use of steel (in addition to the Poly Pop themes) as performed in the majority of The Hula Girls' songs.

Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-29 11:46 am   Permalink

Japanese culture is such an integral part of the Hawaiian melting pot
maybe we can squeeze in a little Wanda Jackson- Fujiyama Mama?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WvpSql26FY&feature=related

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-29 7:48 pm   Permalink

I know they are more strait ahead Happa Haole,
but I would love to see the Sweet Hollywaiians at TO.

and there are a few bands that mix surf and rockabilly,
can you say Surfabilly?

Jeff(btd)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-30 08:54 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-08-29 11:09, JOHN-O wrote:
And also while the steel guitar was a mainstay of early Country and Western Swing, it appears to be the exception more than the rule by the time Rockabilly took off.

Perhaps the definition of "Hulabilly" is the consistent use of steel (in addition to the Poly Pop themes) as performed in the majority of The Hula Girls' songs.

Actually here's Spike's take on the term from the Fall 2011 Tiki Magazine (vol. 7, no. 2)...

It looks like Tiki Oasis 2013 might be casting a broader definition of the term, I'm assuming based on the great influence of the steel guitar sound (from Hawaii !!) on early Country music and Western Swing.

I think there was a saying that went... "To get to Nashville, you've got to go through Honolulu".

lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-30 10:29 am   Permalink

There are only a limited number of steel guitar bands out there. besides the sweet hollywaiians, there are also the Smokin menehunes, who have not played tiki oasis since 2004, but would be glad to be back.

bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-30 9:35 pm   Permalink

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-30 9:53 pm   Permalink

and you know its always more fun, when the boundaries are pushed a little further.

lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-31 07:58 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-08-30 21:35, bigtikidude wrote:

Jeff, I am real sorry I missed your surf event. You see, we ended up leaving for a vacation during that time.

You are going to tell me that a band that plays every other tiki event, like the smoking menehunes, shouldn't play at tiki oasis? 2004 was the last time, bud. We are probably the only band around playing vintage hawaiian music, and oasis has had punk and ska bands playing but not us. What, do we suck that bad?

JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-31 10:26 am   Permalink

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation