FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Events » » Other Events » » MOANA (expo) Museo Nacional de Antropologia (Mexico City)
MOANA (expo) Museo Nacional de Antropologia (Mexico City)
Zeta
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2010-06-08 09:32 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-06-07 14:31, Zeta wrote:
MOANA Exhibit

Culturas de las islas del Pacifico
http://moana.cultura-inah.gob.mx/

Postcard

(trade or sell)

View Profile of Zeta Send a personal message to Zeta  Goto the website of Zeta     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Zeta
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2010-06-08 09:35 am   Permalink

Collection Exhibited
Lunes, 03 de Mayo de 2010 20:09

More than half of the pieces exhibited are part of the Oceanic Collection of the National Museum of Cultures (MNC), mostly integrated as a result of an important exchange with Field Museum in Chicago, negotiated by Miguel Covarrubias and the director of INAH, Daniel de la Borbolla, in 1951.

Oceanic items safeguarded at MNC are known as “South Seas Collection” and hold incredible curatorial and anthropological value.

Moana: Cultures of the Pacific Islands displays 150 objects from the National Museum of Cultures halls and warehouse, as well as 124 items part of Field Museum collections. Pieces from the de Young and Peabody Essex Museums are also exhibited.

ZETA EDIT:
This exhibit is probably the best Oceanic art temporary exhibit that I have ever seen. I hope it travels to other cities. It shows art that is not the "typical" oceanic art museum collection pieces. It's a very eclectic selection which makes it incredibly rich and contrasting to understand the anthropological aspect of the objects but also, many of the pieces where printed and published as ART in some of the all time classic Oceanic Art books and eventually became sources of inspiration that transformed into icons for tiki bars and Poly Pop establishments too!

There is a book about it now available. (sans the poly pop part)

P.S.

Open Question for the moderators: Where's the correct place to post a thread like this one(Museum exhibit)? In Tiki Travel, General Tiki or Other Events ?

[ This Message was edited by: Zeta 2010-06-08 10:33 ]

View Profile of Zeta Send a personal message to Zeta  Goto the website of Zeta     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-11 3:16 pm   Permalink

I am not a moderator here, but:
Museum exhibitions that are temporary (like art shows) usually get posted under "Tiki Events", since they are limited for a certain time only. What if it IS a traveling exhibit? Still temporary, so "Events". Permanent exhibits in museums usually get posted in "'Locating Tiki", like you did with the Peabody Museum.

How about some pics, from the show and of the book. Can the book be ordered via the museum shop?

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2010-06-11 4:07 pm   Permalink

BigBro's right. Moved to Other Events.

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Zeta
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2010-06-12 08:14 am   Permalink

I don't have the pictures with me right now... they are in my other camera...
Bigbro, I am not sure about the book being sold trough the museum store. I guess they do. If anyone is interested, I could buy a copy and ship it to you. You just have to contact:
Zeta's diplomatic bureau and public relationships office for foreign affairs. MEXICAN TIKI EMBASSY
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=36739&forum=16&18#fresh
after it's moved back to the Ohana Forum and Ambassador Zeta can get back to work in vital tiki matters like yours, Bigbro.
Meanwhile, All we can do is wait...

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-14 12:11 pm   Permalink

Zeta, waddaya say? The Bahooka mug and my Sound of Tiki CD perhaps?

quote]
On 2010-06-12 18:43, Zeta wrote:
Suave! I want one! How much?
[/quote]
Zeta, it will cost you a book from the Museo Nacional de Antropologia Expo!
(..if it is not unduly more money than the mug!...I'll throw something else in then)
[/quote]

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Zeta
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2010-06-15 11:38 pm   Permalink

Deal. But only if you sign them!

Zeta
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2010-06-25 4:14 pm   Permalink

Souvenir I bought today...

Last week of the MOANA exhibit.

Zeta
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2010-06-28 9:58 pm   Permalink

Magnetic Book Page markers

Exhibit's last week

Zeta
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2010-07-14 12:01 pm   Permalink

The exhibit's catalog book

Formikahini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-15 11:27 am   Permalink

BASTARDS!

NOW I know where all the beautiful Rapa Nui pieces were removed to from the Museum of Natural History (NYC) that I went to a few weeks ago!! Tons of oceanic arts items had that infuriating little tag on the stand where the piece usually sits!!

Glad I didn't plan another Field Museum (Chicago) trip too! I would have been more than a little miffed!
But good for Mexico that they appreciated this stuff and enabled so many MORE people to see it. I can never be mad at that.

View Profile of Formikahini Send a personal message to Formikahini  Email Formikahini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Zeta
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2010-07-15 12:04 pm   Permalink

Err... It wasn't us! (I hate when you go to an exhibit and not all the pieces are there)
The crime was perpetrated by these institutions:

New York is innocent

U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation