FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Music On the Eve of the Hukilau, an AMAZING Vinyl Score!
On the Eve of the Hukilau, an AMAZING Vinyl Score!
OnyaBirri
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-08 4:35 pm   Permalink

My exotica beatnik bongo combo Stolen Idols is playing the Hukilau, and the Gods have smiled upon me by giving me a GREAT haul of Hawaiian records, I have no idea what half of this stuff is, and I'm too beside myself to describe it.

First up is an album on Reprise by the Aliis who are like a Martin Denny combo with Hi-Los/Four Freshmen vocals - this is the most AMAZING ALBUM I HAVE FOUND IN A LONG TIME!!!

I can't type any more.

[ This Message was edited by: OnyaBirri 2010-06-08 16:35 ]

View Profile of OnyaBirri Send a personal message to OnyaBirri      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-08 7:18 pm   Permalink

I can only imagine how cool that must sound! Hawaiian music mixed with "four Freshmen" style vocals (a favorite group of mine!)!

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hibiscus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-09 06:40 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-06-08 16:35, OnyaBirri wrote:
My exotica beatnik bongo combo Stolen Idols is playing the Hukilau, and the Gods have smiled upon me by giving me a GREAT haul of Hawaiian records, I have no idea what half of this stuff is, and I'm too beside myself to describe it.

First up is an album on Reprise by the Aliis who are like a Martin Denny combo with Hi-Los/Four Freshmen vocals - this is the most AMAZING ALBUM I HAVE FOUND IN A LONG TIME!!!

I can't type any more.

[ This Message was edited by: OnyaBirri 2010-06-08 16:35 ]

If you're not familiar with them already and you like that sort of harmony, you might want to check out The Surfers. Their "Tahiti", "The Islands Call" and "The Hawaiian Surfers" albums show up on eBay pretty frequently. Nice stuff, and available on iTunes if you'd rather download.

Congrats on the score!

[ This Message was edited by: Hibiscus 2010-06-09 06:40 ]

View Profile of Hibiscus Send a personal message to Hibiscus      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Vince Martini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-09 07:08 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-06-08 19:18, lucas vigor wrote:
I can only imagine how cool that must sound! Hawaiian music mixed with "four Freshmen" style vocals (a favorite group of mine!)!

Sounds like something we may have to explore, LV! Hmmmmmmmmmmm

Hibiscus, thanks for the info...now I am searching categories OTHER than 'tiki' on ebay! Wocka-wocka!!!

[ This Message was edited by: Vince Martini 2010-06-09 07:10 ]

View Profile of Vince Martini Send a personal message to Vince Martini  Email Vince Martini Goto the website of Vince Martini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-09 08:55 am   Permalink

You might want to track down The Invitations LP on Liberty Records called R.S.V.P.

It's totally like the Hawaiian Four Freshman. It features Clem Low (of Hawaii Five-O fame) too!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

View Profile of Jeff Central Send a personal message to Jeff Central  Email Jeff Central Goto the website of Jeff Central     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hibiscus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-09 10:54 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-06-09 07:08, Vince Martini wrote:
Quote:

On 2010-06-08 19:18, lucas vigor wrote:

Sounds like something we may have to explore, LV! Hmmmmmmmmmmm

Hibiscus, thanks for the info...now I am searching categories OTHER than 'tiki' on ebay! Wocka-wocka!!!

[ This Message was edited by: Vince Martini 2010-06-09 07:10 ]

I'm happy to help you spend your money, Vince!

I find some great stuff when I search for music under "exotica" and "Hawaii/Hawaiian".

[ This Message was edited by: Hibiscus 2010-06-09 13:11 ]

View Profile of Hibiscus Send a personal message to Hibiscus      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
aquarj
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-06-09 10:50 pm   Permalink

Are you talking about the Aliis as in Don Ho's backup band, as in their album "Hawaii Right Now"?

If so, that's a fantastic record. Their version of Taboo is the most, like! I even like the Flower Drum Song and West Side Story medleys. And their version of Quiet Village with vocals! Just for kicks, I put up a shared mp3 of their West Side Story Medley
here if anyone wants to hear it.

Or, if that's not the one you're talking about, then nevermind! Hopefully not this revival incarnation from the 80s.

-Randy

View Profile of aquarj Send a personal message to aquarj  Goto the website of aquarj     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-10 09:46 am   Permalink

So are we talking a solo band album without the Ho-man? Because I just listened to this beaute (because I loved the shirts):

...and it pretty much sucks.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-10 10:29 am   Permalink

Don Ho is like Witco furniture, his iconic signficance overshadows classic artistic standards.

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kaiwaza
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-11 03:16 am   Permalink

The Aliis WERE the backup band to Don Ho and they recorded several solo LPs and had their own career here in the islands. Some of their LPs are more "Hawaiian" than others, but they were a great lounge act and even had charted pop hits in Hawaii into the 1980s with "Lady You're My Rainbow", "A Love So Right", "You Are The Best Of My Life"...kind of Air Supply pop-ish by the 1980s but WAY COOL in the 1960s LPs..

[ This Message was edited by: Kaiwaza 2010-06-11 03:17 ]

View Profile of Kaiwaza Send a personal message to Kaiwaza  Email Kaiwaza     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-11 5:17 pm   Permalink

And they had a strange but cool Marquesan mug out, unusual because it was glued together from two parts:

Now that typeface they used on some of their albums too. If someone could tell me the date of the first album they used it on, we could estimate the date of that mug. The logo looks very late 70s/80s to me.

I believe they are the only band that had their own mug -- until the Tikiyaki Orchestra, that is

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2010-06-12 09:19 ]

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation