[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Travel Going to the Mai Kai!! Need Advice
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Going to the Mai Kai!! Need Advice
CincyTikiCraig
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-09 10:09 pm   Permalink

I am really psyched! The Mrs & I are going to the Mai Kai during our Florida vacation. It's the first time I've been to the Mai Kai since I was 9 years old. We are going on a Saturday night, and we want to have dinner, see the floor show, and most importantly of all: WE WANT TO DRINK THE BEST COCKTAILS!!!

I understand that there are several different dining rooms and bars at the Mai Kai. Can some Mai Kai veterans chime in with some advice on what room we should make reservations at? Also, after dinner we will likely move to the bar-which is the best bar to drink at? For that matter, can you eat at the (good cocktail) bar and still see the show?

Mahalo,

Tiki Craig

View Profile of CincyTikiCraig Send a personal message to CincyTikiCraig      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
phinz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-10 12:05 am   Permalink

You can't eat at the bar and see the show. The bar is the Molokai Bar and it's on your left as you walk in the door. The dining room for the Polynesian Revue is straight ahead as you come in the door.

Ask to sit in Tonga, center, front row. You'll be slightly above the main floor with no obstructions. This is where we sat last year for The Hukilau and it was awesome. Best seats in the house, afaiac.

Get there at 5 for happy hour and you get 1/2 price appetizers and drinks in the Molokai Bar.

traderscotts.com

View Profile of phinz Send a personal message to phinz      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-10 05:36 am   Permalink

Here is a recipe for a truly enjoyable evening....

Arrive around 5 for Happy Hour 1/2 price drinks and appetizers in the Molokai (just inside the door to your left). Have a couple of drinks and an appetizer. I highly recommend the Jet Pilot and Chicken Wings Mai Kai.

Then go and have dinner and enjoy the show. If you can be seated in Tonga you'll have a great view of the show. Any of the dinning rooms are good, but you will get the best pictures if you sit in Tonga.

Or, if you just want to enjoy a quiet dinner, ask to be seated in Tahiti or outside in the gardens. You don't get the show, but it makes it easier to enjoy your dinner and date.

I like the duck dishes, but pretty much anything from the Chinese Ovens is spectacular. The Mai Kai is South Florida's best undiscovered Steak House because what those ovens due to steak is absolutely magical. If you enjoy a good steak I can highly recommend the NY Strip.

After dinner enjoy a nice Coffee Grog or Wahine's Delight. The Bananas Bengali is a spectacular presentation of sweet and fire!

Then stroll through the gardens and enjoy the sultry Florida evenings. Many of the orchids are in bloom and there are several new Tiki's to find.

Now, having said all that...... are you going 'this' saturday? This weekend is the Hukilau so getting seated for dinner will take a bit more effort because there are going to be three hundred or more people there at the same time. If you don't have reservations you need to call NOW.

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CincyTikiCraig
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-10 9:00 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the great replies guys! We aren't going until September, but I want to call and make reservations this week.

View Profile of CincyTikiCraig Send a personal message to CincyTikiCraig      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tripower
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-06-11 1:25 pm   Permalink

x 2 on the Jet Pilot

View Profile of tripower Send a personal message to tripower      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiyaki
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2010-06-11 1:46 pm   Permalink

Order a Black Magic !

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CincyTikiCraig
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-20 9:20 pm   Permalink

6 weeks from tonight the Mrs & I will be at the Mai Kai!

Hurricane Hayward
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2010-08-21 8:35 pm   Permalink

Craig,

Much discussion of the Mai-Kai drinks can be found here:
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=29713&forum=1&start=0

You can't go wrong with anything from the "strong" side of the menu, just be careful and don't over-do it. You'll want to savor every moment you're there.

Mahalo!

View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Formikahini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-22 12:54 pm   Permalink

I completely concur with every word of Chip's advice.
And I too will add the warning NOT to disrespect the tiki drink.
Doing too many too fast is the only way I can think that your evening could be imperfect at the Mai Kai.

Be warned: it is not an inexpensive evening. Valet parking, $25 for the dinner show (but not the dinner), no cheap drinks, etc. And if you collect, you will go nuts in the gift shop, making your evening even more costly! But you will not regret one cent. It is worth foregoing some little luxuries elsewhere in order to do it *all* on a night at the Mai Kai. But getting there for the HH half-price drinks is one way to keep your costs down a wee bit.

Oh - have a dollar ready to tip the restroom attendant. This is lovely old-school, all the way.

And now I'm wishing I were there......
Damnit.....

View Profile of Formikahini Send a personal message to Formikahini  Email Formikahini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-22 1:01 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-08-20 21:20, CincyTikiCraig wrote:

Math is hard...... if I am counting correctly that is the first week of October?

Would you like to make your trip to the Mai Kai a quiet date night with you and yours?

Or would you prefer I sound the drums and stir up the locals and make it party?

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2010-08-22 6:28 pm   Permalink

Another tip from a local: It's possible to get a $15 discount on dinner through this Web site ...

http://www.southfloridadines.com/view_rest.asp?source=search&view_id=775

You just need to pay in advance.

View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CincyTikiCraig
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-24 9:44 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-08-22 13:01, Chip and Andy wrote:
Quote:

On 2010-08-20 21:20, CincyTikiCraig wrote:

Math is hard...... if I am counting correctly that is the first week of October?

Would you like to make your trip to the Mai Kai a quiet date night with you and yours?

Or would you prefer I sound the drums and stir up the locals and make it party?

That's a very kind (and VERY tempting!) offer, but it's my wife's Birthday and I know that she'll want ot to be date night style.

Cheers,

Craig

Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-25 09:06 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-08-24 21:44, CincyTikiCraig wrote:

... it's my wife's Birthday and I know that she'll want ot to be date night style.

Cheers,

Craig

Date Night it is! The two of you all giggly and smiling at each other over cocktails and dinner. The Mai Kai will make for a romantic evening and if you play your cards just right you might get lucky when you get back to the hotel (wink wink, nudge nudge).

When you call to make your reservations, if you tell them it is for a birthday they'll include her in the announcements during the show. Its wonderfully cheesy and strangely romantic at the same time.

GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-26 2:52 pm   Permalink

There's nothing that tops the first time you walk into the Mai-Kai...

Have fun Craig. Everything Chip said was spot on (although my personal favorite spot to watch the show is from New Guinea at a table along the hand rail, but that's not necessarily the best photo angle). The only thing I can add is to pay attention to and appreciate the details. The shrunken head in Samoa, the cannibals in Tonga, the spears guarding the chinese oven windows (with much thanks to Will for their restoration). Notice the little things and you'll see how amazing the place is.

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CincyTikiCraig
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-30 8:17 pm   Permalink

1 day until our pilgrimage to the Mai Kai! We are stopping into the Wreck Bar while we're in Ft Lauderdale as well. We're going to do both Saturday & Sunday night at the Mai Kai. Can't wait!

[ This Message was edited by: CincyTikiCraig 2010-10-01 10:27 ]

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation