FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Collecting Tiki » » Cleaning a stubborn vintage mug?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Cleaning a stubborn vintage mug?
DemeraraDrinker
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-06-28 07:42 am   Permalink

Thanks for all your ideas. I have tried degreaser and paint thinner to no avail.

The inside of the mug is glazed, and the thinner did not take anything off. There is some gunk on the outside, too, but for now I am concentrating on the inside so I can drink something out of the mug (getting thirsty).

I will try Bar-Keepers friend (I've kind of been wanting to get that stuff anyway) and Goo-Gone.

Here is what the gunk looks like:

I think whatever it is might respond well to some abrasive cleaning. I'm thinking the Bar-Keepers friend has a shot here.

View Profile of DemeraraDrinker Send a personal message to DemeraraDrinker  Goto the website of DemeraraDrinker     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Doctor Z
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-28 08:56 am   Permalink

Looks like hard water stains (commonly called 'tide lines', made when a previous owner has kept a flower or plant in tap water in it). Have you tried the CLR? You should be able to just put some on a paper towel and wipe them away.
Ask for it by name!

View Profile of Doctor Z Send a personal message to Doctor Z  Email Doctor Z     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DemeraraDrinker
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-06-28 09:01 am   Permalink

OK, I might try Coke/Pepsi first (least chance of damage to the mug). Then Naval Jelly...then CLR.

View Profile of DemeraraDrinker Send a personal message to DemeraraDrinker  Goto the website of DemeraraDrinker     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DemeraraDrinker
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-07-11 09:23 am   Permalink

OK, the results are in.

First, I tried Coke. I got a glass bottle (the kind from Mexico with no corn syrup)--the third ingredient was phosporic acid. I soaked the mug in this Coke for 4 days. It got some of it off.

Then I went to get Naval Jelly--but a little bottle of the stuff was $6. Next to it was Barkeeper's Friend for $2. I will have a lot more future use for Barkeeper's Friend, so I got that. It took the rest of the stain off in two washing/scrubbings. And I've already used it to clean a steel flask I have.

So thank you all for your help. I know a lot more about cleaning vintage tiki mugs now.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation