FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Don the Beachcomber
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 Next Page )
Don the Beachcomber
Sunset Mike
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-10 10:23 pm   Permalink

Traditional Tiki's Old Fashioned Method

[ This Message was edited by: Sunset Mike 2013-05-26 16:29 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Sunset Mike 2013-05-26 16:31 ]

View Profile of Sunset Mike Send a personal message to Sunset Mike  Email Sunset Mike Goto the website of Sunset Mike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sunset Mike
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-10 10:28 pm   Permalink

Just a note to those with a passion for the Old Style. Chisels, saws rasps, and carving implements.

Nay would I fault machinery. My methods are slow and I may compromise yet, but it feels more like the creation takes on a spirit when you do it the time honored (and time consuming way.

If anyone's interested, speak up! Mahalo! Sunset Mike

[ This Message was edited by: Sunset Mike 2010-06-28 12:25 ]

View Profile of Sunset Mike Send a personal message to Sunset Mike  Email Sunset Mike Goto the website of Sunset Mike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigodz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-10 10:41 pm   Permalink

I used to think the same way But I heard a great man say
" if technology is available to you, you would be a fool not to take advantage of it"
Having siad that you made an incredible piece!!!
Much love and one big ass MAHALO!!

View Profile of tikigodz Send a personal message to tikigodz  Email tikigodz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-11 06:41 am   Permalink

Hey, who's that guy doing the carving in front of Don's ??

It's Sunset Mike !! Here he is with his latest work in progress...

Now I know a lot of people put a premium on owning a Tiki that was actually displayed at a Trader Vic's. How about owning a Tiki that was actually carved at Don the Beachcomber's ??

It's priceless !!

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SDshirtman
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-06-11 10:20 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-06-10 22:28, Sunset Mike wrote:
Just a note to those with a passion for the Old Style. Chisels, saws rasps, and carving implements.

Nay would I fault machinery. My methods are slow and I may compromise yet, but it feels more like the creation takes on a spirit when you it the time honored (and time consuming way.

If anyone's interested, speak up! Mahalo! Sunset Mike

I used to think that same way about using only hand tools. I agree there is some charm in it. I got half way through my first carve with that methodology before I too adopted the "if they had the technology they would have used it" theory.

Nice tiki by the way.

View Profile of SDshirtman Send a personal message to SDshirtman      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sunset Mike
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-11 7:52 pm   Permalink

My Gratitude To John O!
Great pics Brah, You're making me blush.

Hey Brett, Where are You? Your Tiki is waiting Dude!

Sunset Mike

Sunset Mike
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-11 7:55 pm   Permalink

Yeah, The Technology can't be beat in a lot ways.

Please convince me, the Chisels wear me out!

and thanks for the compliments! Mahalo!

Cap'n Pharaoh
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-06-12 06:30 am   Permalink

Hey Sunset mike , I dig what your doing.

I often wondered if anyone gave any merit to carvings that were done without the use of power tools?

I admit I use a chainsaw to do a rough cut especially after I found those bone spurs in my hand ....but there is definitely something to be said for spending the extra hours to do it by hand.

I think there is nothing better than spending a lazy afternoon chopping away chip by chip ...without the bbbzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz of some crappy electric motor.

Great stuff, Keep it up!

View Profile of Cap'n Pharaoh Send a personal message to Cap'n Pharaoh      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sunset Mike
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-12 11:20 am   Permalink

Thanks for the encouragement!

Yeah, It's Fun.

I'm not completely making my living this way (Yet)

If I did I'd need a spot way out and away where I could make a mess and a lot of noise.

The power tools are really hard on the wood too, they tend to tear it up. Come by, Say hi! Permission to come aboard.

Sunset Mike
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-18 12:48 pm   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: Sunset Mike 2010-06-18 12:49 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Sunset Mike 2010-06-18 20:57 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Sunset Mike 2010-06-22 10:19 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Sunset Mike 2010-06-22 10:21 ]

Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-18 3:43 pm   Permalink

Excellent works sunset Mike and I admire your persistence to stick with the power tools. I've carved a few tikis in my day and my motto was whatever tool removes the waste quicker and better, thats the tool for me, but it doesn
t always mean power tools because when you throw that "Better" into the equasion it rules a lot of tools out for some phases of the piece. I do/did use a chainsaw but I was never a chainsaw carver, it was just another tool to remove wood as is a chisel and grinder.. Then there are a few Power chisels that work wonders too.
If someone wanted to go completely traditional then they would have to be using stone and jade tools I would think???

Anyway Keep up the Incredible work and Welcome to Tiki Central.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sunset Mike
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-18 8:51 pm   Permalink

Gotta Agree!

Better? Not really. And yes. You'd have to use stone and jade to be really authentic. I can't find obsidian around here either. I could take up painting and stretch canvasses covered with sheepskin gesso, and maybe then try to find colorful stuff to make the paints. Yeah, who is a true purist? Well I'm guilty too!

I say again, I'm not trying to dis anybody, Just keeping it alive

Sometimes I have to admit it's for convenience sake. Needs no electricity, and I don't have to replace bits, minimal noise and not as much mess. Just sharpen and go. I'm getting faster as time goes by, but I'll do whatever it takes to be sure.

[ This Message was edited by: Sunset Mike 2010-06-18 20:55 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Sunset Mike 2010-06-20 01:27 ]

Sunset Mike
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-22 10:14 am   Permalink

Me again. Sabal Tiki

laojia
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-22 1:43 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-06-18 20:51, Sunset Mike wrote:

...minimal noise and not as much mess. Just sharpen and go.

A real philosophy! Even if I did not apply to the letter ... There is an other guy who is in this vision
here
And obsidian, I found there. I bought two beautiful pieces and I hope, that I've a little time, make some tools.
Welcome to TC and keep the good work... and the faith!

J.

View Profile of laojia Send a personal message to laojia      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
seeksurf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-22 10:14 pm   Permalink

Welcome sunset mike. Looks like you had fun on the big guy. Well done.
#2 has alot of detail on him very cool.

View Profile of seeksurf Send a personal message to seeksurf  Email seeksurf Goto the website of seeksurf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation