FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Don the Beachcomber
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 Next Page )
Don the Beachcomber
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-19 07:29 am   Permalink

Very nice.

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sunset Mike
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-20 10:56 pm   Permalink

The Mermaid beside her Sister 'The Island Girl'

Miss Mermaid, (I am calling Phygia) is nearly completed. I am sifting through minor things and allowing the finish to cure out.

Oh yes, I am proud of her.

[ This Message was edited by: Sunset Mike 2013-10-20 23:02 ]

View Profile of Sunset Mike Send a personal message to Sunset Mike  Email Sunset Mike Goto the website of Sunset Mike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-21 4:57 pm   Permalink

Beautiful work.

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
amate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-21 5:14 pm   Permalink

ditto. Well done!

View Profile of amate Send a personal message to amate  Email amate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sunset Mike
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-21 11:58 pm   Permalink

Thanks guys!

An Artist mentor listened to me as I spoke about how much time has gone into this piece. He reminded me that many works have taken quite a while. (Michelangelo's David, 4 years)

Yes, these undertakings are worth it in the end, especially when I get all the positive feedback!

[ This Message was edited by: Sunset Mike 2013-10-22 10:10 ]

View Profile of Sunset Mike Send a personal message to Sunset Mike  Email Sunset Mike Goto the website of Sunset Mike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sunset Mike
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-22 6:03 pm   Permalink

Working on lot's of little, hard to see refinements today. The Manzanita Burl must be finished separately then both are sealed with Museum Earthquake putty.

The greater the effort, the better they become, the more I love them!

Sunset Mike
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-22 6:08 pm   Permalink

One more Butt Shot!

Sunset Mike
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-29 10:49 pm   Permalink

This is really the Honeymoon Phase. Showing it off, taking snaps, getting compliments and accepting praise for a job well done.

I hesitate briefly, Rest and bask in viewing her. Praising God and thanking him for the gifts he has given me and the opportunity to share them. My small imitation of him. Out of dust he made us, out of wood I made her. I enjoy. And then we move on to the next.

There are small things yet that I must correct, adjust, improve. Nothing apparent to the untrained eye but visible to my Artist Mentors who will judge my work and direct me in my progress.
The young Lady in this image is "Haley", she works at Don the Beachcomber and was nice enough to pose and smile.

pjc5150
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-31 6:11 pm   Permalink

Very nice Mike....

View Profile of pjc5150 Send a personal message to pjc5150      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sunset Mike
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-11-01 11:01 pm   Permalink

The whole family together. Sons and Daughters of a common Dad. Below Phyrgia the Mermaid after a few minor refinements. Still not ready to baptize her as being 'Done'

Sunset Mike
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-11-03 9:47 pm   Permalink

[quote]
On 2013-10-31 18:11, pjc5150 wrote:
Very nice Mike....
Oh yes, Haley's a cutie, And the Mermaid is not bad either! Thanks, It's been a while since I've heard from you

[ This Message was edited by: Sunset Mike 2013-11-03 21:53 ]

Sunset Mike
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-11-17 10:23 pm   Permalink

Here's Vinnie at DTB givng tiki central 'The Bird"

This piece of Arizona Cypress came from the Vedante Monastary up in Trabuco. I used to make a very nice incense out of the resins of this tree and gathered them up at the monastary where a friend of mine was a monk. Very fragrant wood, solid, long lasting and beautiful. Used for making musical instruments, paneling and in the distant past coffins. It resists rot, chemicals, insects and fungus's real well. Carves good too!

The knots on this piece were placed in such a way that I could not resist building a bird around them and using them for eyes. I'll post again after some more finish has been applied.

[ This Message was edited by: Sunset Mike 2013-11-17 22:27 ]

Sunset Mike
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-11-20 6:21 pm   Permalink

Eucalyptus, golden Mahogany stain, teak oil finish.

Sunset Mike
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-11-22 3:09 pm   Permalink

AMATE
If I never thanked you personally, I appreciate your work equally!

[ This Message was edited by: Sunset Mike 2013-11-22 15:12 ]

Sunset Mike
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-11-24 11:14 pm   Permalink

Progression of a wood scrap. A burl-type section like this makes for a grotesque little tiki!

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation