FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Don the Beachcomber
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 Next Page )
Don the Beachcomber
Sunset Mike
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-11-28 10:31 pm   Permalink

Remembering this is a day for Thanksgiving!

Blessing and graces to all!

Sunset Mike

View Profile of Sunset Mike Send a personal message to Sunset Mike  Email Sunset Mike Goto the website of Sunset Mike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sunset Mike
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-11-29 9:38 pm   Permalink

The Black friday Rainbow over "Don The Beachcomber'

View Profile of Sunset Mike Send a personal message to Sunset Mike  Email Sunset Mike Goto the website of Sunset Mike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sunset Mike
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-11-29 9:42 pm   Permalink

2 finished pieces, both 10-12 inches tall. Carved from California sycamore. The grotesque burl head is golden mahogany with teak oil finish. The other has burned in manta ray symbol (graceful strength) and diamond. light staining and shellac finish.

Sunset Mike
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-12-02 6:53 pm   Permalink

The 2 news table tops (10`12 inches)

The Sycamore wood is very absorbent and stain tends toward being blotchy. The interior wood has different hues as well. Suitable for the more grotesque works such as these 2. The others may get bows on them for the holidays but I haven't quite decided. They would look good under a Christmas tree!

[ This Message was edited by: Sunset Mike 2013-12-02 18:54 ]

Sunset Mike
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-12-04 9:51 pm   Permalink

This is Lemon Gum and proving to be interesting. The unique and suggestive shape of this section did tempt me to do something worthy of the Tiki Erotica link, but well, I work in public so... Rated 'G'

This little piece of Sycamore made a nice little fella. Burnt oil and shellac finish.

Sunset Mike
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-12-18 2:17 pm   Permalink

Not that anyone on Tiki Central would do it. But the image below is of a really quality piece of Camphor tree I had stashed out back at Don The Beachcomber.

Unfortunately, someone helped themselves to it which has me, of course, irritated to say the least.

Dear Person or Persons concerned,

The things you do will always comeback to you one way or another. I will of course say a prayer that you are spared the Karma in this matter. But please do not help yourself to things without asking. It is common courtesy and a commandment of the first order and if you're a Tikidom person you've got a way to go before you'll be one of us.

[ This Message was edited by: Sunset Mike 2013-12-18 14:27 ]

Sunset Mike
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-12-18 2:24 pm   Permalink

Well, I still have the Lemon Gum. And he turned out pretty well. The unique growths of the tree made for the oversize tongue and Durante Nose. It reminds me of a Jim Henson Character for whatever reason.

Sunset Mike
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-12-24 5:14 pm   Permalink

"For unto us a Child is born,
Unto us a Son is given;"

Sunset Mike
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-04 06:52 am   Permalink

Sunset Mike Loves The Hula Girls! They called me up last minute to Don my Chef's Coat and Carve the meat on the buffet for the New Years Eve Bash.

Lucky Me!
The Hula Girls were there and I love their Hulabilly stuff. A Great group that I hope you get the chance to see live. They Really Rock!

[ This Message was edited by: Sunset Mike 2014-01-04 06:53 ]

Sunset Mike
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-04 07:02 am   Permalink

The Red Head is Judy Luck. I didn't get a chance to speak with the Dark haired Hulatress, but they both can really wiggle out the Hula stuff.

Not much chance to socialize with the girls as they're burning calories on the bandstand.

Having studied Ballet myself for over 20 years, I can appreciate the demands of performing on dancers. It's physically demanding,
It's a workout!
and you have to make it look effortless for your audience. These two are absolute pro's!

You gotta love'em!

[ This Message was edited by: Sunset Mike 2014-01-04 07:04 ]

Sunset Mike
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-04 07:16 am   Permalink

If there's a Tiki in here, I'm gonna find it! Ponderosa pine, (like all varieties of fresh pine) is resin filled and gums up the tools as you work. But can, with some patience and persuasion, yield the being within. This is wet stuff and we'll see how it goes. The burl atop this piece is too beautiful of it's own to be messed with and will make a great head ornament, The work of the ultimate artist being complimented by the work of the human artist. With requests to the Ultimate Artist by the the human imitator to guide well his hands.

[ This Message was edited by: Sunset Mike 2014-01-04 07:17 ]

Sunset Mike
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-04 07:18 am   Permalink

Watch the progress here!

https://www.facebook.com/SunsetTikiWorks?ref=hl

[ This Message was edited by: Sunset Mike 2014-01-04 07:20 ]

pjc5150
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-06 08:32 am   Permalink

^ that one is killer Mike...

View Profile of pjc5150 Send a personal message to pjc5150      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
amate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-07 04:08 am   Permalink

First you inspired me to attempt a mermaid.
Now, you've got me thinking Hula Girl...
Nice photos!

View Profile of amate Send a personal message to amate  Email amate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sunset Mike
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-10 5:51 pm   Permalink

Hula girls really are within the realm of encounter more so than Mermaids. But for Artworks, everything is available! Very flattered to hear I have inspired you Bro!

[ This Message was edited by: Sunset Mike 2014-01-10 17:58 ]

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation