FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Creating Tiki » » Tiki Carving » » Don the Beachcomber
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 )
Don the Beachcomber
Sunset Mike
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-04-10 4:01 pm   Permalink

April, 2016: Steve from New York gets his new guys had some issues getting them through Airport security. "?" Now whoever hijacked a plane with a Tiki? A section of Indian Laurel Wood gives me my latest Handsy guy. Light Golden Mahogany stain, marine varnish. He came out nicely, especially next to Jennifer (lucky guy)

And one for which I though in the towel. Despite great effort the Manzanita was eaten through by Longhorn beetle larvae and had to be dispositioned to the fireplace. Not often that I give up, but I know when I'm licked. Rest in Peace little fella!

[ This Message was edited by: Sunset Mike 2016-04-10 16:08 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Sunset Mike 2016-04-10 16:09 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Sunset Mike 2016-04-10 16:10 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Sunset Mike 2016-04-10 16:12 ]

View Profile of Sunset Mike Send a personal message to Sunset Mike  Email Sunset Mike Goto the website of Sunset Mike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TheBigT
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-04-11 09:20 am   Permalink

Mike, i had problems just last month trying to get through TSA security with a tiki. After scanning it, they decided it would be ok.

View Profile of TheBigT Send a personal message to TheBigT      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sunset Mike
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-04-23 11:31 pm   Permalink

[quote]
On 2016-04-11 09:20, TheBigT wrote:
Mike, i had problems just last month trying to get through TSA security with a tiki. After scanning it, they decided it would be ok.
Crazy world. I guess you can't blame them can you?

[ This Message was edited by: Sunset Mike 2016-05-28 23:08 ]

View Profile of Sunset Mike Send a personal message to Sunset Mike  Email Sunset Mike Goto the website of Sunset Mike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sunset Mike
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-04-23 11:35 pm   Permalink

The Beachcomber "Jenns" and my two latest. Both of these guys were not easy! Manzanita is both hard and brittle and occasionally there must be compromise. The Gnarly branches with a great deal of sanding with ascending grits can yield a presentable work. I'm thinking of these as Organic style (No, not like from Mothers Market) because it's really a dance with the wood, where you let it lead and try not to force it. The "Organic" Beauty of the burl comes out and if complimented by a little shape.

Of course we don;t need to talk about the The Jennifers shapes now do we?

[ This Message was edited by: Sunset Mike 2016-04-23 23:42 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Sunset Mike 2016-04-23 23:43 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Sunset Mike 2016-04-23 23:47 ]

Sunset Mike
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-05-28 11:06 pm   Permalink

Another done in Black Locust wood. Hard stuff, great effort, tedious tung oil finishing but beautiful when done.This one is a Primitiva Mod (that is Atomic Age Mod) style as explained in his docier. The screamin Surf shack guy is mystery wood that might be juniper, and has marine varnish for the finish.

Either way they look good next to Jennifer!

[ This Message was edited by: Sunset Mike 2016-05-28 23:07 ]

Sunset Mike
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-05-28 11:17 pm   Permalink

Tiki
Primitiva Mod

Height: 16 Inches
Material: Black Locust Wood
Mount: Freestanding
Method: Old style non-machine hand fashioning.
Influence: Tiki Mod
Colors: Natural Tones
Finish: Hand rubbed Tung Oil,

“The Concept of using so-called ‘Primitive Art’ to contrast the smooth lines of modern design has its Origin in the inspiration the founding fathers of modern art found in the seemingly naïve and savage aesthetic”-Sven A. Kirsten; The Book of Tiki
At the beginning of the 20th century African, Polynesian and other examples of Primitiva that began finding their way to galleries of the european collectors and inspired a generation of rebellious Artists, Gaugin, Picasso, Miro, Klee and Ernst among them, to seek escape the from rigidity of the established standards. The ‘Avante Garde art that would eventually become the hallmark of the Bohemian lifestyle of the last century.
Later as a post second World war generation sought escape to Eden in flowered shirts, rum cocktails and exotica instrumentals accompanying dreams of half naked native women and bamboo huts in a steamy tropical paradise, tribal art began to break the monotony of the contemporary living room as the avante garde spread it’s influence into the culture of the atomic age. The Tiki’s time had come.
This work is a work of the simple primitive refined in the contemporary method. Familiarly classic, it is Native American Black Locust wood laborously sanded into symphony of brown, amber and black hues in organic patterns deepened by a hand rubbed tung oil finish. A distinctively beautiful and durable hardwood, black locust is both a challenging and rewarding medium to the Artist. Who, when the painstaking work is finished, can bask in the sense of accomplishment equal to the effort.
I see in this work the spirit of sentiment the forefathers of modern art might have had in the desire to capture the pre-civilized innocence that exists in somewhere in all of us and wish it to bring a little bit of paradise wherever it goes
Sunset Mike

cy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-05-30 2:41 pm   Permalink

Cool carve Sunset Mike, really like the wood, finish, and research involved in making your tiki mod piece.

View Profile of cy Send a personal message to cy  Goto the website of cy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sunset Mike
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-05-30 7:15 pm   Permalink

[quote]
On 2016-05-30 14:41, cy wrote:
Cool carve Sunset Mike, really like the wood, finish, and research involved in making your tiki mod piece.
Maholo CV!

Sunset Mike
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-05-30 7:25 pm   Permalink

My latest guy. Not the first dug out style Ive done. but was directly inspired by the "Lucky Guy Tiki" from the Tiki Erotica thread. Where we see he keeps showing up.
I have to agree with Atomic Tiki Punk, the thread has been ruined by postings of non-tiki stuff snd some of which is not even vintage.

But these qualify! I hope he gets as lucky.

hottiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-05-30 10:26 pm   Permalink

Do keep us posted if by chance the Pin-Ups start getting photoed on and around it !!!

View Profile of hottiki Send a personal message to hottiki  Email hottiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sunset Mike
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-05-31 1:29 pm   Permalink

Will do!

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2016 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation