Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki The $30 limit
The $30 limit
Trader Woody
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-05-07 12:58 pm   Permalink

A while back, a whole bunch of us realised that we might go up to $30 when buying a mug - http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=1280&forum=1 - but in these days of sudden mug price inflation, does the $30 limit still apply?

Trader Woody

View Profile of Trader Woody Send a personal message to Trader Woody  Email Trader Woody     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Luckydesigns
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-05-07 1:46 pm   Permalink

For me it does. I can't rationalize spending more than $30 on something that won't help me make money. Three grand on a new computer makes sense for me but $150 on a Trader Vic's mug doesn't.

Just me. In actuality, I have spent a bunch on carvings though. Screw that 'tikisintexas' guy too, I can't keep up with him.

View Profile of Luckydesigns Send a personal message to Luckydesigns  Email Luckydesigns Goto the website of Luckydesigns     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Traderpup
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-05-07 1:50 pm   Permalink

By now, there's probably quite a few of us that have accumulated an impressive mug collection. It makes it hard to add to our collections, especially since anything vaguely Tiki is a hot commodity right now. We either have to continue on many fruitless searches of thrift stores & flea markets, hoping to come across that rare find, or resort to online auctions and hyped up dealer prices.

Since thrift store prowling hasn't been too successful for me lately, I've ventured into collecting in other areas of Polynesian Pop... LPs, idols, aloha shirts, etc.

Another route to take is collecting the contemporary mugs, but that often would exceed the $30 limit. Some of these mugs are really worth it though. Munktiki, for example. I consider their mugs works of art.

I still look for mug bargains, and very rarely like to pay more than $30 to a dealer for some of the more rare mugs. I'd be willing to pay a pretty penny for a small handful of the rare mugs out there, but there is no way I can compete with people on ebay like that Dan guy, or the dude from Texas.

So, generally speaking, I still hold to the $30 limit, unless it is something I just gotta have, then its all up to what my budget will allow!

View Profile of Traderpup Send a personal message to Traderpup  Email Traderpup Goto the website of Traderpup     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TheTikiGuy
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-05-09 09:42 am   Permalink

I would have to agree. $30.00 seems to be the benchmark for me as well.

View Profile of TheTikiGuy Send a personal message to TheTikiGuy  Email TheTikiGuy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
midnite
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-05-09 12:31 pm   Permalink

Well, ahem, there were certainly a lot of bargains to be had at certain Ebay auctions from a well-known and much loved Tiki Centralite. Why, there still are some nice deals available. Tiki mugs, collectibles, animal husbandry memorabilia.

Just about everything was had for less than this $30 limit. Some lucky bidder got a Steve Crane Kon-Tiki Ports for $19. Nineteen dollars? No way!

Cough cough...where was everybody, eh?...cough, hack...cough.

Dogs and Cats, Living Together!

View Profile of midnite Send a personal message to midnite      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JTD
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-05-11 09:35 am   Permalink

Midnite,
I just did my part, but was outbid (as usual). Good luck.

- JTD

View Profile of JTD Send a personal message to JTD      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
midnite
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-05-11 11:56 am   Permalink

JTD,

Appreciate the bid. I may have one more of that mug for the next auction set. Keep an eye out. Things not going for as much as they were a few months ago, good for our purchases, not so good for a sales.

midnite

View Profile of midnite Send a personal message to midnite      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation