FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Music Dark Exotica / Lounge finds?
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Dark Exotica / Lounge finds?
carlosrossi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-14 2:44 pm   Permalink

I'm currently compiling a compilation for my blog 'Dark & Tiki', which a twist on the whole subculture/sub genre in which I am looking at the dark side of the Tiki.

I have a few bands going such as;

Bohren & der Club of Gore: a Dark Jazz/Lounge ensemble from Germany
The Kilimanjaro Dark Jazz Ensemble: a sort of Exotica/Lounge/Jazz group from Europe
Heroin and Your Veins: a total lounge act ala Twin Peaks/Bohren style
Dale Cooper Quartet & the Dictaphones: a dark jazz/lounge/twin peaks styled group from France

There is ALOT more out there, and I'm open to NEW & OLD records!

Thanks for looking and I appreciate the help!!!

[ This Message was edited by: carlosrossi 2010-06-14 14:51 ]

View Profile of carlosrossi Send a personal message to carlosrossi  Goto the website of carlosrossi     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
OnyaBirri
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-14 3:08 pm   Permalink

The group Walk the Plank may fit your criteria. There is currently an active thread about them. I just saw them at Hukilau 2010 and really dug them.

View Profile of OnyaBirri Send a personal message to OnyaBirri      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-15 11:15 am   Permalink

Kava Kon would definitely fit the bill!

View Profile of Jeff Central Send a personal message to Jeff Central  Email Jeff Central Goto the website of Jeff Central     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-15 11:17 am   Permalink

Shit, even my side projects would work!

Resonance, 10-Speed Guillotine, Weird Lovemakers!

Let me know where to upload/send some tracks.

Good luck with the project, sounds intriguing!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

View Profile of Jeff Central Send a personal message to Jeff Central  Email Jeff Central Goto the website of Jeff Central     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
carlosrossi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-15 11:19 am   Permalink

http://darkandtiki.blogspot.com/

I JUST posted my FIRST podcast up!

Have a listen to get an idea where this is all going!

DARK&TIKI

View Profile of carlosrossi Send a personal message to carlosrossi  Goto the website of carlosrossi     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
virani
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-15 11:44 am   Permalink

Awesome, I like the link between those styles. Wow, new bands to listen too.

Blue Hawaiians kind of fit too.
In a more electronic way, I like Andrew Pekler's latest album. :
http://www.youtube.com/user/andrewpekler#p/u/2/vI_TWdVTP3g
Tipsy too.
John Zorn's "Gift", "Taboo and Exile" and The Dreamers" and "O'o"

Or Garbarek and others at ECM did some ambiant jazz.

But I think I'm out of what you're looking for...

View Profile of virani Send a personal message to virani  Goto the website of virani     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
carlosrossi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-15 11:51 am   Permalink

It's a really tight rift in the Exotica/Lounge sub-genre. I'm convinced there's some older recordings that were more on the darker side. Like Les Baxter's early work with Samuel Hoffman, extremely fascinating to hear such early orchestral songs accompanied by Theremin!

All those early recordings are my favorites, but I'm sifting through tons of old records in search for the Dark & Tiki!

I like the thrill of the hunt in case you haven't noticed!

DARK&TIKI

tabuzak
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-15 12:01 pm   Permalink

The Passions - Les Baxter with Bas Sheva

can get pretty dark and nasty!

-Jack

[ This Message was edited by: tabuzak 2010-06-15 12:02 ]

View Profile of tabuzak Send a personal message to tabuzak  Email tabuzak Goto the website of tabuzak     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
carlosrossi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-15 12:04 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-06-15 12:01, tabuzak wrote:
The Passions - Les Baxter with Bas Sheva

can get pretty dark and nasty!

-Jack

[ This Message was edited by: tabuzak 2010-06-15 12:02 ]

I want to say I just SAW that record recently! I need to pick that one up! I loved the Ritual of the Savage album, but I'll go back and see if it's still there! Thanks!!

DARK&TIKI

bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-15 7:21 pm   Permalink

Not Exotica really,
but the Vanduras have some very dark songs.
http://www.myspace.com/thevanduras

Jeff(btd)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
carlosrossi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-16 11:27 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-06-15 19:21, bigtikidude wrote:
Not Exotica really,
but the Vanduras have some very dark songs.
http://www.myspace.com/thevanduras

Jeff(btd)

The Vanduras are pretty awesome! Good find, and thanks for sharing. I like the smooth surf textures.. Another band to spotlight in the future!

DARK&TIKI

professahhummingflowah
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-16 2:07 pm   Permalink

In terms of tiki noir, you might be interested in my group's work... particularly the songs "Totem Pole," "Octopus Menagerie," and/or "Left Arm of Buddha" off of Adventures in Paradise; "Tiki," "Similau," and/or "When First I Love," off of New Sounds of Exotica; "Hana, Maui" from Paradise Lost and Found, "Wadada" from Rendezvous in Okonkuluku, and "Bwana, Bwana A", "Cave of Uldo," "Plamingo Flagoda," "Fuzzy Mammoth Breath," and "Satyritar" off of Charred Mammal Flesh: Exotic Music for BBQ.

All are available from iTunes or
http://WAITIKI.com/Shop. Just search for "WAITIKI" or "WAITIKI 7".

View Profile of professahhummingflowah Send a personal message to professahhummingflowah  Email professahhummingflowah Goto the website of professahhummingflowah     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
professahhummingflowah
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-16 2:10 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-06-16 14:07, professahhummingflowah wrote:
In terms of tiki noir, you might be interested in my group's work... particularly the songs "Totem Pole," "Octopus Menagerie," and/or "Left Arm of Buddha" off of Adventures in Paradise; "Tiki," "Similau," and/or "When First I Love," off of New Sounds of Exotica; "Hana, Maui" from Paradise Lost and Found, "Wadada" from Rendezvous in Okonkuluku, and "Bwana, Bwana A", "Cave of Uldo," "Plamingo Flagoda," "Fuzzy Mammoth Breath," and "Satyritar" off of Charred Mammal Flesh: Exotic Music for BBQ.

All are available from iTunes or http://WAITIKI.com/Shop. Just search for "WAITIKI" or "WAITIKI 7".

I should mention though that we do not approve of our tracks being used for free download from blog websites. If you decide to include us, please link to iTunes, Amazon, or our website. Thanks for your understanding!

View Profile of professahhummingflowah Send a personal message to professahhummingflowah  Email professahhummingflowah Goto the website of professahhummingflowah     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
carlosrossi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-16 2:36 pm   Permalink

no worries! It's mostly to be played in the background of my Podcasts really. As far as my compilation goes, I'm going through proper channels to include artists and their tracks with proper production and credit.

Thanks!! I'm going to have a listen now..

DARK&TIKI

carlosrossi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-16 8:12 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-06-16 14:10, professahhummingflowah wrote:
Quote:

On 2010-06-16 14:07, professahhummingflowah wrote:

All are available from iTunes or http://WAITIKI.com/Shop. Just search for "WAITIKI" or "WAITIKI 7".

I should mention though that we do not approve of our tracks being used for free download from blog websites. If you decide to include us, please link to iTunes, Amazon, or our website. Thanks for your understanding!

LOVED the sounds on your page! Very traditional styled yet modern and original! I better get to downloading some of this later tonight!

DARK&TIKI

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation