FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Music Dark Exotica / Lounge finds?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
Dark Exotica / Lounge finds?
carlosrossi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-26 4:32 pm   Permalink

Another cool and bizarre band I found was the Mount Fuji Doomjazz Corporation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1SbYeD1ZyM&feature=related

not too exotica esque, but definitely a strange form of Jazz and Lounge..

DARK&TIKI

View Profile of carlosrossi Send a personal message to carlosrossi  Goto the website of carlosrossi     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Thunderlips
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-28 10:13 am   Permalink

Hope this fits the criteria. Listening to it in my home bar with the lights turned low always gives me an eerie feeling.

ALICE ARMAND "To Hawaii's Shore"

View Profile of Thunderlips Send a personal message to Thunderlips  Goto the website of Thunderlips     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
carlosrossi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-02 12:03 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-07-28 10:13, Thunderlips wrote:
Hope this fits the criteria. Listening to it in my home bar with the lights turned low always gives me an eerie feeling.

ALICE ARMAND "To Hawaii's Shore"

I like it because it's SLOW, and definitely eerie! Is this an old track? It's hard to tell these days what's new, and what's old!

DARK&TIKI

View Profile of carlosrossi Send a personal message to carlosrossi  Goto the website of carlosrossi     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Luckydesigns
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-02 1:00 pm   Permalink

The Hula Girls' new album has a super cool exotica song on it. Stright from Lex Baster-land... It features the master of haunting steel guitar, Blue Hawaiian, Gary Brandin, on it. It also features the drummer of punk legends, X, DJ Bonebrake, on vibes... Crazy Al is on there too, playing coconuts and performing bird calls and other jungle sounds...

Anyway, we called it 'The Hidden Village' in tribute to the back room at Don the Beachcombers... The album art was shot at Don's too.... You'll be able to preview the song on iTunes, shortly, but as of now, you can order the album here:
www.thehulagirlsband.com

It's seriously one of my favorite tracks on the album!!

View Profile of Luckydesigns Send a personal message to Luckydesigns  Email Luckydesigns Goto the website of Luckydesigns     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Thunderlips
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-02 4:54 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-08-02 12:03, carlosrossi wrote:

I like it because it's SLOW, and definitely eerie! Is this an old track? It's hard to tell these days what's new, and what's old!

Agreed.

It was originally posted on
WAXIDERMY and according to them it's old (1940s?) although they don't seem to know much more about it than that.

Subsequent internet searches for Ms.Armand have turned up very little besides bit parts ("Clerk, "Secretary," "Model," etc.) in several movies circa 1940.

Scant biographical information often enhances a weird record's appeal.

View Profile of Thunderlips Send a personal message to Thunderlips  Goto the website of Thunderlips     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
carlosrossi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-11 09:53 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-08-02 13:00, Luckydesigns wrote:
The Hula Girls' new album has a super cool exotica song on it. Stright from Lex Baster-land... It features the master of haunting steel guitar, Blue Hawaiian, Gary Brandin, on it. It also features the drummer of punk legends, X, DJ Bonebrake, on vibes... Crazy Al is on there too, playing coconuts and performing bird calls and other jungle sounds...

Anyway, we called it 'The Hidden Village' in tribute to the back room at Don the Beachcombers... The album art was shot at Don's too.... You'll be able to preview the song on iTunes, shortly, but as of now, you can order the album here:
http://www.thehulagirlsband.com

It's seriously one of my favorite tracks on the album!!

Thanks! I'll be sure to check it out! I'm diggin' the influences!

DARK&TIKI

carlosrossi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-28 2:08 pm   Permalink

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiYabLhIEmM

great song. very modern exotica sounding..

DARK&TIKI

Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-29 06:31 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-09-28 14:08, carlosrossi wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiYabLhIEmM

great song. very modern exotica sounding..

This is incredible!!

View Profile of Jeff Central Send a personal message to Jeff Central  Email Jeff Central Goto the website of Jeff Central     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr. NoNaMe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-29 11:26 am   Permalink

How about Truus de Groot? I only have Muzotica & Rancho Exotica. Both albums shoult fit in well with your sets. www.truus.net Also, her Salton Sea project music would work.

And then there's Sex Mob's Sexotica album and his other jazzy stuff as well. www.stevenbernstein.net

Erik the Red

View Profile of Mr. NoNaMe Send a personal message to Mr. NoNaMe      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
carlosrossi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-08 10:18 pm   Permalink

been working on my own sounds as of late!

http://soundcloud.com/carlosrossi

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation