FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums ╗ ╗ Bilge ╗ ╗ The Artist : Why sometimes they are A**holes?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 Next Page )
The Artist : Why sometimes they are A**holes?
Zeta
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2010-06-15 12:23 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-06-15 12:15, bigbrotiki wrote:
But what inspired that question right now?

Bigbro, don't be an artist.

View Profile of Zeta Send a personal message to Zeta  Goto the website of Zeta     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
little lost tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-15 12:23 pm   Permalink

and don't get me started about carvers....

View Profile of little lost tiki Send a personal message to little lost tiki  Email little lost tiki Goto the website of little lost tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ron-tiki
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-06-15 12:37 pm   Permalink

who buys big toes art any ways?

View Profile of ron-tiki Send a personal message to ron-tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
little lost tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-15 1:27 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-06-15 12:37, ron-tiki wrote:
who buys big toes art any ways?

People who support the punching of kids,i imagine..

View Profile of little lost tiki Send a personal message to little lost tiki  Email little lost tiki Goto the website of little lost tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Zeta
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2010-06-15 1:45 pm   Permalink

Also, artists can be and act childish... They are used to do things their own way in their canvas (creations) Like little tyrants. So when they have to cope with the world, the suck at it. They can't white-out on their real life. No such thing as perfection in this world.

Example:

Covarrubias let himself die of diabetes at 53. He choose to die because he couldn't stand his ex-wife Rose not letting him live with his young new lover dancer Rocio.
Stubborn to death.

View Profile of Zeta Send a personal message to Zeta  Goto the website of Zeta     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
woofmutt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-15 3:00 pm   Permalink

Successful artists (or anyone) can get away with being assholes. People will tolerate it because of their greatness.

Ordinary schmoes who are assholes often end up deadbeats and friendless. Or so I'd love to think. Just as often they seem to get away with being assholes even though they have nothing to offer the anyone (money, looks, good company) other than their nasty personalities.

Maybe people emit chemical signals and if you emit the signal other people like they'll tolerate anything. If you emit a signal other people hate you'll constantly get screwed over in life no matter how nice and helpful you are.

View Profile of woofmutt Send a personal message to woofmutt  Email woofmutt Goto the website of woofmutt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
little lost tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-15 3:26 pm   Permalink

OH! I FORGET TO MENTION!
BIGTOE IS A LIAR!
A DIRTY LIAR!
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING HE SPEAKS OR WRITES!

www.KENRUZIC.COM is Open to the Public!
(Which i update every so often)
I'm on FaceBook too-Go cheggitout!)

BigToe
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2010-06-15 3:27 pm   Permalink

sigh...i dont punch kids...i EAT them yes, but punch them, no.

my theory is that artists are anti-social and/or anti-authority by nature. that is why they go into art...because for whatever reason, they are not suited for the regular work-a-day world.

Combine that with the fact that the successful ones have had to be doggedly determined not to let others deter them in their pursuit of their 'vision', and u get anti-social sonsabitches!

Take Kinny Ruzick for example. Look in the dick-tionary under sociopath, and there's a shot of the Ruzic. Not a psychopath, mind you, but textbook sociopath...and that has allowed him to become a great artist.

I think the same is true for visual artists, actors musicians...hell even the lowest form of artists, carvers.

View Profile of BigToe Send a personal message to BigToe  Email BigToe Goto the website of BigToe     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
little lost tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-15 3:29 pm   Permalink

AT LEAST SOCIOPATHS DON'T PUNCH KIDS...
KIDPUNCHER!

woofmutt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-15 3:51 pm   Permalink

"Take Kinny Ruzick for example. Look in the dick-tionary under sociopath, and there's a shot of the Ruzic. Not a psychopath, mind you, but textbook sociopath...and that has allowed him to become a great artist."

Yeah, well, no. If anything Liloti is irritatingly outgoing bouncy bouncy bouncy bouncy fun fun fun fun fun. The only sociopathological thing about Liloti is that he will actually stick to personal goals of studio time and make his "Goodnights!" brisk and final not worrying if he appears rude and dismissive.

"my theory is that artists are anti-social and/or anti-authority by nature. that is why they go into art...because for whatever reason, they are not suited for the regular work-a-day world."

That's a fairly popular theory but one that I've not seen much evidence of in real life. The artists I've met and known have generally been outgoing, friendly, people who love exchanging ideas and opinions. Sure, many of them are raving alcoholic chain smokers but they're usually the good kind of alcoholic. The less fun side: Some of them suffer from crippling depression and when that hits them they're usually definitely antisocial.

In my experience craftspeople usually tend to be the antisocial ones. This includes clocksmiths, gunsmiths, and the regular kind of smiths. These people generally prefer to be left alone with their craft. They answer questions grudgingly and could care less if you think they do incredible work. The only reason most of them even have a shop is because they need to make a living. With craftspeople it seems to be them and the object of their craft and they see people as something that just messes up the object.

View Profile of woofmutt Send a personal message to woofmutt  Email woofmutt Goto the website of woofmutt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-06-15 3:55 pm   Permalink

GROG miss Tiki-Kate

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
little lost tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-15 3:56 pm   Permalink

Quote:
In my experience craftspeople usually tend to be the antisocial ones. This includes clocksmiths, gunsmiths, and the regular kind of smiths.

These kind?

Cause if that's what you're saying
then i'm confused....
really confused!

and don't forget that BigToe punches Kids!

Zeta
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2010-06-15 4:03 pm   Permalink

Interesting...<----(Said with thick German accent)

Well, well, well... let's see... (puts on his eyeglasses)

Observe Hermes being anti-social, then creative and then rewarded for it. And he is some kind of hermit too!

Hermes
by Ron Leadbetter

Hermes, the herald of the Olympian gods, is the son of Zeus and the nymph Maia, daughter of Atlas and one of the Pleiades. Hermes is the god of shepherds, land travel, merchants, weights and measures, oratory, literature, athletics and thieves, and known for his cunning and shrewdness. Most importantly, he is the messenger of the gods. Besides that he was also a minor patron of poetry. He was worshiped throughout Greece -- especially in Arcadia -- and festivals in his honor were called Hermoea.

According to legend, Hermes was born in a cave on Mount Cyllene in Arcadia. Zeus had impregnated Maia at the dead of night while all other gods slept. When dawn broke amazingly he was born. Maia wrapped him in swaddling bands, then resting herself, fell fast asleep. Hermes, however, squirmed free and ran off to Thessaly. This is where Apollo, his brother, grazed his cattle. Hermes stole a number of the herd and drove them back to Greece. He hid them in a small grotto near to the city of Pylos and covered their tracks. Before returning to the cave he caught a tortoise, killed it and removed its entrails. Using the intestines from a cow stolen from Apollo and the hollow tortoise shell, he made the first lyre. When he reached the cave he wrapped himself back into the swaddling bands. When Apollo realized he had been robbed he protested to Maia that it had been Hermes who had taken his cattle. Maia looked to Hermes and said it could not be, as he is still wrapped in swaddling bands. Zeus the all powerful intervened saying he had been watching and Hermes should return the cattle to Apollo. As the argument went on, Hermes began to play his lyre. The sweet music enchanted Apollo, and he offered Hermes to keep the cattle in exchange for the lyre. Apollo later became the grand master of the instrument, and it also became one of his symbols. Later while Hermes watched over his herd he invented the pipes known as a syrinx (pan-pipes), which he made from reeds. Hermes was also credited with inventing the flute. Apollo, also desired this instrument, so Hermes bartered with Apollo and received his golden wand which Hermes later used as his heralds staff. (In other versions Zeus gave Hermes his heralds staff).

I am using Hermes as an example because he is very mysterious for me and believe it or not, find some similarities with our beloved tiki god... A prankster. Some kind of an early outsider artist. Loved by the gods. An accidental artist. A damned artist. He is not trying, he just is.
I don't know... Also, using Greek mythology makes me sound like a serious scholar.
I think when you paint (or carve or play bongos to, or write books about...) a (tiki) god. you become a messenger. Every tiki inspired artist is a Hermes. Like a witchdoctor... but a witchpainter. Possessed by the tiki spirit. The God of Creativity!!! And we know tiki is a mischievous entity! Beware! The invocation of the Aku might turn you into a wild and dangerous crazy artist!
I read somewhere sometime ago a short story about a Polynesian idol that possessed an artist that ends up killing his model. This is what I am talking about, too. The possessed artist, The artist as a catalyst for the gods. The "artistic trance" What's up with that? In the end, all tiki art is religious art.
The devil made me post this.
Enough coffee for tonight.

WJHScrimshaw
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-06-15 4:13 pm   Permalink

Off to make more work...

[ This Message was edited by: WJHScrimshaw 2010-06-16 19:05 ]

View Profile of WJHScrimshaw Send a personal message to WJHScrimshaw      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
WJHScrimshaw
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-06-15 4:30 pm   Permalink

Off to make more work...

[ This Message was edited by: WJHScrimshaw 2010-06-16 19:05 ]

View Profile of WJHScrimshaw Send a personal message to WJHScrimshaw      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation