FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Drinks and Food » » Which coconut rum is the best?
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Which coconut rum is the best?
SuperEight
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-15 11:14 pm   Permalink

I have grown fond of the Lei Lei Volcano recipe I got from the Bum's book, but now I can't find Cruzan Coconut Rum since Bevmo stopped selling the big bottles. Has anyone tried Tortuga Coconut and how does it compare to Cruzan? Malibu is out of the question and someday I will probably just start adding Coco Lopez to a light rum, but until then I am wondering if anyone has an opinion on Tortuga?

View Profile of SuperEight Send a personal message to SuperEight  Email SuperEight     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
carlosrossi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-15 11:17 pm   Permalink

I'm quite a fan of Don Q's Coconut Rum, in fact I just made an Aloha Screwdriver with it! Yumm

View Profile of carlosrossi Send a personal message to carlosrossi  Goto the website of carlosrossi     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
marcus_at
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-06-15 11:47 pm   Permalink

Go for Belmont Estate Gold Coconut Rum - St Kitts & Nevis

View Profile of marcus_at Send a personal message to marcus_at      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TIKIVILLE
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-16 2:39 pm   Permalink

Cruzan.....so far

View Profile of TIKIVILLE Send a personal message to TIKIVILLE  Email TIKIVILLE     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Brandomoai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-18 9:13 pm   Permalink

I like Cruzan's and keep a bottle of it on hand, but I kind of like the taste of Whaler's Killer Coconut better. Anyone try this stuff? Am I out to lunch?

View Profile of Brandomoai Send a personal message to Brandomoai  Goto the website of Brandomoai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Beach Bum Scott
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-19 07:40 am   Permalink

I prefer to make my own!!!

I find the premade to be syurpy/sweet tasting, I wish Cruzan sold the 80 proof Coconut on the main land that I would get while living in the VI.

Using Cruzan Light and Coconut extract I put 4 drops from an eye dropper to 1 oz rum(ymmv)into an old Pyrat Pistol bottle, makes a great 80 proof Coconut Rum.

edit: revised measure

[ This Message was edited by: Beach Bum Scott 2010-06-23 21:24 ]

View Profile of Beach Bum Scott Send a personal message to Beach Bum Scott      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CucamongaChango
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-19 09:24 am   Permalink

Man, that sounds like a great idea.
I think I see a mini-project on the horizon this weekend.

View Profile of CucamongaChango Send a personal message to CucamongaChango      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SuperEight
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-20 8:12 pm   Permalink

Has anyone tried the Tortuga Coconut?

View Profile of SuperEight Send a personal message to SuperEight  Email SuperEight     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SuperEight
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-24 12:32 am   Permalink

Wow, I made a few drinks using the Cruzan Coconut Rum mini bottles and was more than a little disappointed with the artificial aftertaste. The mini bottles were the only Cruzan Coconut Bevmo had butI found a full size bottle in a dirty liquor store last night and man, what a difference. I made the Lei Lei Volcano and had none of the artificial aftertaste using the rum from the full size bottle. Like night and day. A really tasty, light drink. Has anyone else had a bad experience using plastic mini bottles?

[ This Message was edited by: SuperEight 2010-06-24 00:33 ]

aquaorama
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-02 3:49 pm   Permalink

I had a bit of Tortuga Coconut while in Grand Cayman and liked enough to bring some home. It's still 80 proof and didn't have the overly sweet taste of Malibu.

View Profile of aquaorama Send a personal message to aquaorama      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jokeiii
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-03 3:07 pm   Permalink

Super 8 - I think it's the plastic, not the contents.

View Profile of jokeiii Send a personal message to jokeiii  Goto the website of jokeiii     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ErkNoLikeFire
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-12 12:30 am   Permalink

It is indeed the plastic. Liquor in plastic bottles do have a problem with picking up chemicals from the bottles. The effect is not readily noticeable if the liquid has not been in the bottle for long, but if it's something that has been sitting in a warehouse or on a shelf for a while the taste difference will be apparent. Most package liquors in plastic are consumed pretty fast and are usually of the cheaper brands like Popov, Captain Morgan or Smirnoff. Popular items that move a lot of stock fast. But 50mls can get pushed aside on the shelf or bought by the store in large quantities so that there is the chance of it going unpurchased for many months. There is less of a chance with purchasing the larger bottles in plastic but the taste issue is still common. As for Tortuga, I haven't had a chance to sample it yet.

“The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass.” Martin Mull

"Rum is not drinking, it's surviving" Robert Shaw THE DEEP

View Profile of ErkNoLikeFire Send a personal message to ErkNoLikeFire  Email ErkNoLikeFire     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chuck Tatum is Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-14 5:27 pm   Permalink

I Like the Cruzan Coconut Rum

View Profile of Chuck Tatum is Tiki Send a personal message to Chuck Tatum is Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chuck Tatum is Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-14 5:28 pm   Permalink

I Like the Cruzan Coconut Rum

View Profile of Chuck Tatum is Tiki Send a personal message to Chuck Tatum is Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chuck Tatum is Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-14 5:29 pm   Permalink

Not again! sorry

[ This Message was edited by: Chuck Tatum is Tiki 2011-05-14 18:07 ]

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation