Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving This Old Tiki
This Old Tiki
Brice
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-06-18 11:19 am   Permalink

I can't afford to have the This Old House crew come see me on Hawaii so I thought I'd consult with you carvers/woodworkers here. I was lucky enough to have rescued some tikis from the Hawaiian Hut, but the day before shipping they dropped one of them and now I have a decapitated tiki. He is old and in need of some real TLC. I want to refinish him too, but first I gotta get his head on right. I will attach photos to show you what the break is like. I really want to restore him the right way; I am sure with antiques like this there is a right and a wrong way to do the repair. I thought of drilling both body and head & reinforcing with a rod/dowel but to do it free hand scares me a little; I'm afraid he'd end up looking at me all half cocked while I mix drinks. I really would love some good advice as I want a long-term solution. Mahalo for any information!

View Profile of Brice Send a personal message to Brice      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Badd Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-18 11:36 am   Permalink

Honestly I'm not an expert but that's an ugly break. He's nice, shame it broke.

Drilling cleanly is probably next to impossible.

Probably the best alignment would just happen with what's there. I say pour a gallon of wood glue on both sides and stick it back together best you can. Then treat him nice.

View Profile of Badd Tiki Send a personal message to Badd Tiki  Goto the website of Badd Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AlohaStation
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-18 12:29 pm   Permalink

Drill two holes and insert dowels (loosely to accomodate positioning) - then spread a gallon of glue!

View Profile of AlohaStation Send a personal message to AlohaStation  Goto the website of AlohaStation     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-18 3:45 pm   Permalink

What Aloha said works for me!

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Brice

Posted: 2010-06-19 11:23 pm   Permalink

Well If I were you all I'd buy stock in wood glue now....LOL Mahalo for the advice it really means a lot that you chimed in and led me in the right direction.

View Profile of Brice Send a personal message to Brice      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2010-06-20 09:00 am   Permalink

That would be an ugly break if it were your femur. But in wood, it gives lots of interlocking knooks and crannies - lots of surface area for the glue to adhere.

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Meheadhunter

Posted: 2010-06-20 10:19 am   Permalink

Oh No...
I really dont think there is any way to save this Guy...
I would be happy to save you the grief and heartache...
Send him to me at once and I'll discard him for you!!

Actually I believe there is definately enough texture and surface area to glue him without any dowels.
It will align itself nicely the way it is.
I would use West Systems Epoxy to glue it back together!!
I make didgeridoos and epoxy them together...they will last forever!!
The glue joint will be stronger than any other part of it.

View Profile of Meheadhunter Send a personal message to Meheadhunter      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation