Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food The Hukilau Drink @ The Mai Kai
The Hukilau Drink @ The Mai Kai
Hearn
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-06-19 11:41 am   Permalink

I'm fresh back from my first Hukilau (what a fantastic event...Mahalo to Tiki Kiliki!)

The Mai Kai was all that it was hyped up to be (although I'd love to spend more time at the Molokai Bar when it wasn't wall to wall people).

My favorite drink was, by far, the Hukilau.

Does anyone know if the recipe has been published anywhere? I've already consulted Mr. Berry's books to no avail.

Thanks!
Hearn

View Profile of Hearn Send a personal message to Hearn      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-21 09:14 am   Permalink

As I understand, it is a tweaked version of another drink. Not sure which one off hand. I have never tried The Hukilau oddly enough.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiken

Posted: 2010-06-21 10:39 am   Permalink

Hearn, Saturday night was very busy at the molokai, friday night not so much, try thusday or fri next year. yea shoulda tried the hukilu drink a , i had the 7 tiki mai tai , among others... it was great sat even with all the people...

Ken

View Profile of tikiken Send a personal message to tikiken      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
phinz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-21 11:06 am   Permalink

I had the Seven Tiki Jet Pilot last night. Yummy. Have to decide what I'm having tonight...

traderscotts.com

View Profile of phinz Send a personal message to phinz      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hearn
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-06-23 06:40 am   Permalink

Definitely going to try and make it to Mai Kai on Thurs/Fri next time around....

View Profile of Hearn Send a personal message to Hearn      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-28 12:08 am   Permalink

Hearn,

The Hukilau is one-third of the Mai-Kai's holy trinity of coffee-laced, over-sized strong drinks along with The Mutiny (photo below) and Black Magic. Each has its own distinct flavor but they're very similar. If you like The Hukilau I'm sure you'll like the others as well.

Recipes for the above three drinks, like most of those at the Mai-Kai, are closely guarded secrets. I don't know of any of them being published. However, Jeff Berry has graciously created a nice tribute to The Mutiny called "Kiliki Cooler" that was published in the 2010 Hukilau program as well as his latest book, "Beachbum Berry Remixed."

You might also want to check out this ongoing thread on our favorite Mai-Kai drinks:

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=29713&forum=1

View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-17 01:04 am   Permalink

Just in time for this year's Hukilau event, here's a tribute recipe that closely approximates The Hukilau drink:

http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2012/04/17/mai-kai-cocktail-review-the-hukilau-is-worthy-of-its-famous-company/

Featuring The Mai-Kai Cocktail Guide

View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation