FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Music Obscure CD Recommendations?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Obscure CD Recommendations?
OnyaBirri
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-04 11:24 am   Permalink

I agree that there are some things mastered from vinyl that sound great. It's not always easy sorting out the good from the bad, though, when you're dealing with snippets of lo-fi samples on the internet. That is why it's good to get opinions from people who have actually heard the CD.

View Profile of OnyaBirri Send a personal message to OnyaBirri      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lukeulele
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-04 3:58 pm   Permalink

Quote:

My suggestion to you are Nelson Riddle's Sea of Drreams and Love Tide on a two-fer by Capitol Records. Kind of "easy listening" exotica but lovely nonetheless. Cheers, Jeff

I agree! Great disc! It reminds me a lot of the Jackie Gleason Orchestra recordings. Not really Exotica, but great "mood music". It's perfect if you throw it into a multi disc changer along with other Exotica/Hawaiian music and hit the random button.

View Profile of Lukeulele Send a personal message to Lukeulele  Email Lukeulele Goto the website of Lukeulele     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Quince_at_Dannys
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-07 10:35 am   Permalink

Here's some of my suggestions for things you can get on CD or MP3. They are all excellent!

The Versatile Henry Mancini
Kapu - Milt Raskin
Savage & Sensuous Bongos - Don Ralke
Tropical Fantasy - Michael Magne (included on CD release of Orienta by Markko Polo Adventurers)
Passions - Bas Sheva
Jazz Heat Bongo Beat - Buddy Collette

View Profile of Quince_at_Dannys Send a personal message to Quince_at_Dannys      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
horsdumonde
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-07-07 4:08 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-07-07 10:35, Quince_at_Dannys wrote:
Here's some of my suggestions for things you can get on CD...
Tropical Fantasy - Michael Magne (included on CD release of Orienta by Markko Polo Adventurers)

Wow...I didn't realize there was a CD release with both Orienta and Tropical Fantasy. Many thanks!

View Profile of horsdumonde Send a personal message to horsdumonde      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dr. Zarkov
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-12 2:33 pm   Permalink

Well, I stumbled upon this CD while doing a search on Amazon.com and ordered it yesterday: http://www.dutchexotica.nl/index.htm

If you click on the link to "music" at the top of the home page you can hear some samples. I'm really looking forward to getting it.

I love the cover art, too -- a great takeoff on the classic Martin Denny "Exotica" LP cover design.

July 13 Additional Comment --

I just remembered these two CDs: Incredibly Strange Music, Volumes 1 and 2. See here: http://www.amazon.com/Re-Search-Incredibly-Strange-Music/dp/B000000HX9/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1279037226&sr=1-1

and here: http://www.amazon.com/Vol-2-Incredibly-Strange-Music-Incredibly/dp/B000001PAF/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1279037226&sr=1-2

Not all of the selections would necessarily be classified as exotica, and the people who produced the CDs weren't too careful about the sound quality, but they are well worth listening to and owning.

[ This Message was edited by: Dr. Zarkov 2010-07-13 09:13 ]

View Profile of Dr. Zarkov Send a personal message to Dr. Zarkov      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation