[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Scrimshawing Tiki
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Scrimshawing Tiki
WJHScrimshaw
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-06-21 12:33 pm   Permalink

Hello everyone in Tiki land...
Time to scrimshaw a Mammoth tusk...here is a photo of the "kick-off" of the project.

Cleaning the material, all mud, moss, loose pieces removed.

Clearing a window through the stain and arranging a composition.
This will be an 18th century ship arriving in a fantasy island based on Easter island.
(Inventing the scene gives freedom to design a composition and add elements of interest, free from the restrictions of representing actual places. The elements are based on real things, but arranged in a way to display the Tiki theme in a creative way.)

This tusk weighs several pounds, is from about 20,000 - 50,000 years ago.

Here is a tusk section representing mermaids, currently on display at the Mai Kai.
This one was on display at this years Hukilau in the Bahia Mar. Tons of time, months on and off went into it's creation. This next tusk is Tikis all the way.

View Profile of WJHScrimshaw Send a personal message to WJHScrimshaw      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2010-06-21 1:23 pm   Permalink

YEAH!!!!! Tiki scrimshaw!!!

Is that a nice looking section of tusk or are you just happy to see me?

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-21 4:46 pm   Permalink

Sweet! Looking forward to seeing more.

View Profile of Jungle Trader Send a personal message to Jungle Trader  Goto the website of Jungle Trader     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiG
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-21 6:07 pm   Permalink

William -

Great to meet you at Hukilau as well as our conversation at the Mai Kai gift shop...Can't wait to see the tiki tusk when its finished. Keep up the great work and hopefully we'll see your work again someday - in California!

Take care, Thanks for posting. G

tiki since '67!

View Profile of TikiG Send a personal message to TikiG  Email TikiG     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-06-21 10:57 pm   Permalink

That tusk might have belong to one of GROG'pet Mammoth back in the day.

Nice art. GROG look forward to seeing the progress on this one.

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kingstiedye
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-22 12:28 am   Permalink

wow, i dig the mermaid piece. it's cool seeing another type of art on here. please keep posting your progress on the moai piece.

bangin' my slit gong drum until the cops come!

View Profile of kingstiedye Send a personal message to kingstiedye  Goto the website of kingstiedye     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
zerostreet
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2010-06-22 05:39 am   Permalink

Beautiful work! Those mermaids are awesome!

View Profile of zerostreet Send a personal message to zerostreet  Email zerostreet Goto the website of zerostreet     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Robb Hamel
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-22 08:20 am   Permalink

The scrimshaw idea is UTTER MADNESS.

Which means I love it. Excellent work.

www.robbhamel.com

View Profile of Robb Hamel Send a personal message to Robb Hamel  Goto the website of Robb Hamel     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikilizard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-22 10:58 am   Permalink

Beautiful intricate and visually stunning work! I think that is the first scrimshaw I have seen on TC. Would love to see a little lesson, from you, on scrimshawing along with some progress photo's would be great? That is some serious talent. I find the mermaid with the heads on view is rather humorous. In a good way of course.

Facebook
If you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything

[ This Message was edited by: Tikilizard 2010-06-22 11:02 ]

View Profile of Tikilizard Send a personal message to Tikilizard  Email Tikilizard Goto the website of Tikilizard     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
WJHScrimshaw
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-06-25 2:38 pm   Permalink

been busy creating a website....more scrimshaw project pictures and a link coming soon.

View Profile of WJHScrimshaw Send a personal message to WJHScrimshaw      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
WJHScrimshaw
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-06-27 12:55 am   Permalink

Web site under construction...simple but effective
www.whscrimshaw.com

Have a visit...more added all the time.
Thanks, William

Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2010-06-27 02:57 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-06-27 00:55, WJHScrimshaw wrote:
Web site under construction...simple but effective

Simple yes but not effective. You need better close up photos! I'd love to see your work on this website but can't.

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2010-06-27 08:17 am   Permalink

I didn't know a scrimshaw artist was known as a "scrimshander" - interesting. The Tuscan Brown coloring looks good.

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
WJHScrimshaw
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-06-27 08:53 am   Permalink

Many of these pictures were sent to me by other people willing to help me who did not have professional macro lenses on their cameras. I feel fortunate to have any record of these works.

The web site has only been up for about 8 hours, in due time better pictures will be added of new projects.

The new ones of the mermaid tusk will be up today, a current project for sale in Florida.

TikiMango
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-28 6:18 pm   Permalink

William, good to meet you and see your work in person at Hukilau. Simply amazing detail and skill in all your pieces. Keep it going, and post more images!

View Profile of TikiMango Send a personal message to TikiMango  Email TikiMango     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation