FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events Other Events Jungle Fever 2010 July 30th, 31st, Sarasota
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Jungle Fever 2010 July 30th, 31st, Sarasota
robotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-22 07:15 am   Permalink

A heads up to locals that need an excuse to sip Mai Tais. We will be having our second annual Jungle Fever event the last weekend of July in Sarasota, FL. Last year we started the tradition as a way to celebrate some old Florida attractions that are still with us, in this case, the Bahi Hut and Sarasota Jungle Gardens, both places mentioned in The Tiki Roadtrip. This year we also have Trader Vics, so we can do a spot on comparison between a TV Mai Tai and the ones the Bahi Hut serves (actually, they are totally different drinks for totally different purposes....).

Last year featured a trip to Mr. Bones, a voodoo themed barbecue joint, The pilgrimage to the Bahi Hut and Jungle Gardens and their tiki garden, as well as movie night in the old Roth Cigar factory featuring jungle girl movies. The Roth building was shuttered in December to make way for future development, but I've secured a 1956 pavilion built by architect Victor Lundy (who went on to design several iconic populuxe structures for the New York Worlds Fair) to show movies in, and we can either do that inside in the A/C, or outside in the pool. Movie selection will be from a collection of jungle movies spanning from the 30's through the 60's.
Friday night might be more mai tais in a private tiki garden, or alcohol fueled bowling action after the Bahi Hut.

This is something I'd like to develop into a bigger event, to support an intact late 50's tiki bar and one of Florida's few remaining roadside attractions. Anyone is welcome, please RSVP so we know how many to plan for.
See pictures of last year here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/miramarleague/sets/72157624165787903/

Robotiki
Mira Mar League of Extraordinary Gentlemen

View Profile of robotiki Send a personal message to robotiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Rick
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-06-22 08:40 am   Permalink

This will be a modest event with an eye to developing it into something bigger. The Ohana's suggestions will be appreciated.

All Hail Floyd!! (Mira Mar League of Extraordinary Gentlemen)

View Profile of Trader Rick Send a personal message to Trader Rick  Email Trader Rick     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiHardBop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-22 09:29 am   Permalink

The last weekend as in July 31/Aug 1 or the last full weekend in July as in July 24/25? The 24/25th is the weekend of Tales of the Cocktail in New Orleans and a bunch of us are headed over for that. We could get some of the Brevard tiki people to come over (especially since I have family in Sarasota) if if is the July 31 weekend.

View Profile of TikiHardBop Send a personal message to TikiHardBop  Goto the website of TikiHardBop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
e33
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-06-22 10:15 am   Permalink

If the wallet survives Ohana, I hope we'll come over. Thanks for putting it together.

View Profile of e33 Send a personal message to e33  Goto the website of e33     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Rick
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-06-22 1:03 pm   Permalink

One thing I was mildly disappointed in with the Hukilau was the dropping of the Bowling venue. I am sure there is keen interest with some of the Tiki Ohana in this vital aspect of late 1950's through the 1960's popular culture. Along with Aloha shirts, Hot Rods, Surf tunes and Rockabilly, what makes a stronger statement in your love of Populuxe as a bowling bag and the bowling shirt? Remember some of the strongest Tiki power places were bowling alleys (sadly no more). Don't let the fans of the 'Big Lebowski' hog all the fun! Friday night at this event can be a 'Cosmic' bowling adventure for us all and a switch from the kerosene Mai Tais to White Russians!

All Hail Floyd!! (Mira Mar League of Extraordinary Gentlemen)

View Profile of Trader Rick Send a personal message to Trader Rick  Email Trader Rick     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki_kiliki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-22 1:12 pm   Permalink

Trader Rick,

Just wanted to make sure that you knew that The Hukilau didn't drop the bowling event. We actually addressed this in one of our news eblasts and a thread here on TC but what happened was that the complex in which the bowling alley was located decided to cancel all maintenance to the alley, therefore, we didn't know what type of shape it would be in when The Hukilau rolled around. They were trying to save money in this economy. I offerred to pay for the maintenance up until the end of June 2010 so that we could enjoy this. Then the complex informed me that their insurance would not cover the liability of so many on their property - the complex is actually a private condo residence now, therefore, everything must be approved by their board.

It sure would have been a blast - that's why I was trying so hard to make it happen. Take Care!

The Hukilau

View Profile of tiki_kiliki Send a personal message to tiki_kiliki  Email tiki_kiliki Goto the website of tiki_kiliki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
robotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-22 1:59 pm   Permalink

Trader Rick was just wanting to wear the outrageous bowling shirt he bought just for tiki bowling. The patches we made were originally supposed to be for our bowling attire. Being involved in a homeowners association myself, I can see how things might have occurred at the Hawaiian Gardens condos to prevent it.

In Sarasota, we have an older facility that does Cosmic Bowling at night, it has a space theme and is all lit up with blacklights. My own game gets way better after the two allowed Bahi Hut mai tais. (Folks coming to swig these need to make sure they bring a designated driver!)

Robotiki

View Profile of robotiki Send a personal message to robotiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Rick
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-06-22 2:49 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-06-22 13:12, tiki_kiliki wrote:
Trader Rick,

Just wanted to make sure that you knew that The Hukilau didn't drop the bowling event. We actually addressed this in one of our news eblasts and a thread here on TC but what happened was that the complex in which the bowling alley was located decided to cancel all maintenance to the alley, therefore, we didn't know what type of shape it would be in when The Hukilau rolled around. They were trying to save money in this economy. I offerred to pay for the maintenance up until the end of June 2010 so that we could enjoy this. Then the complex informed me that their insurance would not cover the liability of so many on their property - the complex is actually a private condo residence now, therefore, everything must be approved by their board.

It sure would have been a blast - that's why I was trying so hard to make it happen. Take Care!

I emphasize MILDLY disappointed. I know it wasn't lack of effort on your part. I've run events myself (reenactments) and I know that not everything happens the way you want it too. Please don't take my post as criticism of the Hukilau in any way! Actually I was having so much fun at the Hukilau that I didn't even think about this until Robotiki brought it up. Please understand I was just trying to test the waters with my post and see if there was any interest. If there is, maybe I could help organize something for the Hukilau. I just think bowling and Tiki make a great match up Like El SANTO and the BOLO!!!

tiki_kiliki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-22 9:41 pm   Permalink

I didn't take it that way at all, actually felt good to explain it again. I wish I could attend this event!

And if a bowling event should work out, I'd love to have your help!

The Hukilau

View Profile of tiki_kiliki Send a personal message to tiki_kiliki  Email tiki_kiliki Goto the website of tiki_kiliki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiHardBop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-23 09:14 am   Permalink

Anybody still want to clue me in on which weekend this is going to be held?

View Profile of TikiHardBop Send a personal message to TikiHardBop  Goto the website of TikiHardBop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
robotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-23 09:58 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-06-23 09:14, TikiHardBop wrote:
Anybody still want to clue me in on which weekend this is going to be held?

Check out the title for the thread.......

Otherwise, it's the 30th,31st...

Robotiki

JETSETTER
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-23 10:05 am   Permalink

Maybe I'll take a ride over. Are toddlers welcome?

View Profile of JETSETTER Send a personal message to JETSETTER  Email JETSETTER Goto the website of JETSETTER     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
robotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-23 10:21 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-06-23 10:05, JETSETTER wrote:
Maybe I'll take a ride over. Are toddlers welcome?

The only non-kid friendly venue would be Bahi Hut. It's a true bar, 21 and older. Jungle Gardens and Trader Vic's (Island Bar & Grill) are both very family establishments, and if we have a toddler at the bowling alley, we'll have an excuse to ask for the bumpers to be up! My 11 year old can babysit if needed.

Robotiki

Trader Rick
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-06-30 1:11 pm   Permalink

My copies of Sheena, Queen of the Jungle arrived today and I have a copy of the latest Trailer Park Boys movie "Countdown to Liquor Day." for viewing under the influence.

robotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-02 12:00 pm   Permalink

An exciting day. I met with the owners of the Bahi Hut today and they are totally on board with growing the event, starting this year, and the idea of making the Bahi Hut more in keeping with a true tiki bar vibe. Built in 1956, the Bahi Hut has been famous amongst locals for it's mai tais, very strong mai tais. It is also famous for it's napkin art, which I am happy to say, I will be helping them to replicate and soon they will be using again. Yours truly has been asked to help spiffy the place up and I am happy to say the owner is taking a historical approach to his next step for the bar. Expect to see some more outside tikis, some more tikis inside, but the majority will be freshly repaired, but unchanged.

Lodging at the Golden Host, a retro 50's hotel adjoining the Bahi Hut, is 15% off if you mention Jungle Fever. You will also be presented with drink coupons for extra discounts.

www.goldenhostresort.com 941-355-5141

It's a pleasant place with a nice pool, with room for entertainment.

Stay tuned for news of Bahi Hut exclusive items........

Robotiki

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation