FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums ╗ ╗ Collecting Tiki ╗ ╗ spoons and fork?
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
spoons and fork?
twowheelin'tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-05-07 11:53 pm   Permalink

what is the tiki connection with those huge wooden spoons and forks????.

[ This Message was edited by: twowheelin'tiki on 2003-06-26 21:04 ]

View Profile of twowheelin'tiki Send a personal message to twowheelin'tiki  Email twowheelin'tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-05-08 02:46 am   Permalink

Ya got me. I know they're everywhere, like Herb Alpert's "Whipped Cream And Other Delights".

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mattio
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-05-08 06:31 am   Permalink

the ancient Polynesians were much larger than people today, so they needed bigger forks and spoons

View Profile of Mattio Send a personal message to Mattio  Goto the website of Mattio     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
laney
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-05-08 11:10 am   Permalink

Check out this ancient thread. I thought door handles were a brilliant idea for these things. Before this thread I always saw these at thrift stores, now that I could use them for something, I don't even run across them anymore. What ever happened to Erich Troudt anyway?

http://tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=1012&forum=1

View Profile of laney Send a personal message to laney  Email laney     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Luckydesigns
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-05-08 12:39 pm   Permalink

Basement, that record must have been huge in its day. That thing is everywhere!

I thought the door handle idea was great too. Now I just need to build a tiki hut to put 'em on. I've been gathering those spoons and forks just for that reason.

View Profile of Luckydesigns Send a personal message to Luckydesigns  Email Luckydesigns Goto the website of Luckydesigns     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiGoddess
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-05-09 08:08 am   Permalink

I do see the fork and spoon sets at all the thrifts and flea markets but they are always in very poor condition. They always look like someone backed a car over them.

View Profile of TikiGoddess Send a personal message to TikiGoddess      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Erika
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-05-09 2:32 pm   Permalink

Hmmm. I had never thought of using those big utensils as decorative small "lumber" before! (Before reading about the door handle idea, that is.) Now I can see using those same sections as uprights for a small wall shelf unit.

I've passed over lots of those forks and spoons at thrift shops . . . I hate to think what the odds are now of finding some--now that I'd like to.

View Profile of Erika Send a personal message to Erika      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DEBAGOGO
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-05-09 9:52 pm   Permalink

we've got a spoon & fork set for sale in our webstore. for all those interested...check out www.debagogo.com
mahalo,
deb & gogo

View Profile of DEBAGOGO Send a personal message to DEBAGOGO  Email DEBAGOGO     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
twowheelin'tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-05-11 12:47 am   Permalink

WHAT IS THE TIKI CONNECTION??????????????

View Profile of twowheelin'tiki Send a personal message to twowheelin'tiki  Email twowheelin'tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
annalulu
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-05-11 10:52 am   Permalink

Don't know the connection, although many of them are carved in the Philippines. My husband and I collect them, we have about 15 sets...the thought of chopping them up for door handles upsets me!!

We have several with obvious tikis carved on them, but also some with birds, elephants, or pineapples. They cover all the walls of our kitchen, people who visit seem to love them.

I've noticed that when people get drunk, they like to take them down and do various things like "spooning" people's asses, or saying "fork you" while holding a 3 foot fork high in the air.

All in good fun.

View Profile of annalulu Send a personal message to annalulu  Email annalulu Goto the website of annalulu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
laney
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-05-11 5:03 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-05-11 10:52, annalulu wrote:
We have several with obvious tikis carved on them, but also some with birds, elephants, or pineapples. They cover all the walls of our kitchen, people who visit seem to love them.

That sound like a really cool idea but to pull it off, you must have a lot of them. You can tell people to "Fork off" if they don't like it!

View Profile of laney Send a personal message to laney  Email laney     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ErichTroudt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-05-11 8:31 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-05-08 11:10, laney wrote:
Check out this ancient thread. I thought door handles were a brilliant idea for these things. Before this thread I always saw these at thrift stores, now that I could use them for something, I don't even run across them anymore. What ever happened to Erich Troudt anyway?
http://tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=1012&forum=1

I'm still here. Thanks for remembering me. I lurk around the board, read the topics that look interesting. Haven't really done anything new with the tiki hut or bought anything cool lately. here is a link to the door handles pic.
http://www.geocities.com/erichtroudt/tikihut2.html

As far as the connection between Tiki and giant untensils, I have no idea. I have seen those giant Forks and Spoons in all shapes, sizes, and styles for years. I heard people just hung them in the kitchen in the 70's. Why? People did alot of wierd stuff in the seventies, afros, disco, platforms, etc. Giant forks don't seem so wierd compared to bell bottoms.
Anyway, I have seen so many of these tikis forks and spoons. I have seen about three different styles of tikis, and one with African style people on them.

Erich Troudt

View Profile of ErichTroudt Send a personal message to ErichTroudt  Email ErichTroudt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Luckydesigns
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-05-11 11:58 pm   Permalink

If you weren't there, you missed CB Howlie playing the spoon and fork while sitting in during APE's set at the Oasis.

Not a great picture but you get the point. This is right before the fork snapped in half. That's rock n' roll! ....kinda

View Profile of Luckydesigns Send a personal message to Luckydesigns  Email Luckydesigns Goto the website of Luckydesigns     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Angry Tiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-05-12 1:53 pm   Permalink

My girlfriend- soon to be fiancÚ- is Filipino. Growing up in L.A. (Valley Girl in every sense of the word) her parents had the Fork and Spoon on the wall of their home (as well as a lot of other handcarved wooden items). She told me that for the longest time she thought that the Fork and Spoon indicated that you were in a Filipino home because those were the only homes that had them on the walls.

Now we have her parent's Fork and Spoon on our wall on either side of a Bosko mask.

So my guess is that the Tiki connection is associated with the Philippines.

Chris

View Profile of Angry Tiki Send a personal message to Angry Tiki  Goto the website of Angry Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
twowheelin'tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-05-12 2:25 pm   Permalink

now were getting somewhere!."the pinoy connection".....it just was bugging me cuz i have seen them in many tiki eateries and they could not explain.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation