Joined: Mar 07, 2008
|Posted: 2010-06-23 4:33 pm  Permalink|
More variations on a Summer theme. Be sure to listen to Dr. Zarkov's Tiki Lounge next Wednesday, 5-6 P.M. Eastern Time, on Fairfax Public Access/WEBR Radio, which can be heard on the Internet at: http://www.fcac.org/webr/live.htm
Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge Playlist: June 23, 2010
1) “On the Beach at Waikiki” by Nani Wolfgramm & His Islanders From the CD: 20 Golden Hits of Hawaii
2) “You're at a Luau Now” by Mel Peterson With Alvin Kaleolani Isaacs & His Royal Hawaiians from the collection: Vintage Hawaiian Treasures, Vol. 6: Night Club Hula Hawaiian Style – The Bell Records Recordings
3) “Le Hali’a” by Keali’i Reichel from the Two-CD Set: Kamahiwa – Collection One
4) “On the Beach at Bali-Bali” by Tommy Dorsey with Edythe Wright, on vocals from the CD anthology: Broadway’s Gone Hawaii
5) “At the Clambake Carnival” from the CD Box Set: Cab Calloway & His Orchestra, Volume 2 –1937-1938
6) “It’s a Lazy Afternoon” by June Christy from the CD: Gone for the Day & Fair and Warmer, Arranged and Conducted by Pete Rugolo/1957
7) Ella Fitzgerald’s 1951 recording, “Hot Canary” with Sy Oliver’s Orchestra, from the Ella Fitzgerald Supreme Jazz SACD
“Come Rain or Come Shine” by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers, from the 1958 recording : Moanin’ with Lee Morgan on Trumpet, Benny Golson on Tenor Sax, Bobby Timmons on Piano, Jymie Merritt on Bass, Art Blakey on Drums.
9) “Summer Serenade” the Benny Carter song performed by Jackie Ryan on her Two-CD Set: Doozy, with Jeremy Pelt on Flugelhorn
10) “Bella Ciao” by the Tiki Tiki Bamboooos from their CD: Where Is Your Secret Spot?
11) “Heat” from the CD: Skinny Dip With Don Tiki
12) “Beachbound” by The Cornells from the collection: Lost Legends of Surf Guitar, Volume 4, Shockwave!
13) “Makaha” by The Tikiyaki Orchestra from their latest CD: Swingin’ Sounds for the Jungle Jetset!
14) “Surfing on the East Side” by Troy Fernandez from the CD: Ride Time
15) “The Lonely Surfer” by Jack Nitzsche from the anthology: Big Waves – Five Decades of Surf Rock
16) “Hui Nalu (Wave Club)” from the LP: Duke Kahanamoku Presents a Beachboy Party With Waltah Clarke, recorded live on the beach on Waikiki in 1963. This is the only known recording of Duke Kahanamoku, the famed Olympic champion and ambassador for the sport of surfing throughout the world from the early 20th Century, and also is the only known recording of the Wave Club surf club song.
[ This Message was edited by: Dr. Zarkov 2010-06-23 16:40 ]