FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums ╗ ╗ Locating Tiki ╗ ╗ Hotel Taharaa, Papeete, Tahiti (hotel)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Hotel Taharaa, Papeete, Tahiti (hotel)
virani
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-30 02:37 am   Permalink

wow, awesome research. Yes, I wish I could go back there too, and kiss that tiki.
I didn't know the great Moritz painting that I have loved for so long was inspired by the hotel. Thanks.

View Profile of virani Send a personal message to virani  Goto the website of virani     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Zeta
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2010-06-30 09:00 am   Permalink

Virani, you been there? Please show some pictures.

View Profile of Zeta Send a personal message to Zeta  Goto the website of Zeta     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-30 6:36 pm   Permalink

Martian Tiki just posted this video link on the 1964 Miami Beach Luau thread that shows some great shots of the inside and outside of the Hotel Taharaa!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFwzMvFJYik&NR=1#t=19m27s

Gotta love Tiki Central for the dynamic flow of info.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Babalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-01 08:08 am   Permalink

Man, what a place!

Interesting tiki by the pool there too...

It's like an imagined paradise in paradise...how cool is that!

Also interesting are those mugs shown...doesn't that one green mug (19:52ish) look like the Cobra Fang mug that is sitting on the shelf over there at OA? It would make since I guess...

View Profile of Babalu Send a personal message to Babalu  Email Babalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Tiki Central Poet Laureate

Posted: 2010-07-02 10:51 pm   Permalink

Some more images of the hotel:

Unfortunately, I don't own this brochure, so can't post a larger or clearer image.

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martian-tiki
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-07-07 10:16 pm   Permalink

ancient newspaper archives
http://news.google.com/archivesearch?q=Hotel+Taharaa&btnG=Search+Archives&hl=en&ned=us&scoring=a

Edit this should filter out the pay per view articles leaving the free links
http://news.google.com/archivesearch?as_q=hotel+taharaa&num=100&hl=en&btnG=Search+Archives&as_epq=&as_oq=&as_eq=&ned=us&as_user_ldate=&as_user_hdate=&lr=&as_src=&as_price=p1&as_scoring=a

[ This Message was edited by: martian-tiki 2010-07-07 22:17 ]

View Profile of martian-tiki Send a personal message to martian-tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Zeta
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2010-07-07 10:27 pm   Permalink

Congrats Martian-tiki! One more post and you will become a tiki socialite. I really admire your sources. You are king at posting Hi-res links and obscure connections. Great research! Respect! Sabu and Dusty too, but that's not new.

View Profile of Zeta Send a personal message to Zeta  Goto the website of Zeta     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-07 10:43 pm   Permalink

Wow....hotel employees on the rampage, forcing guests to leave their rooms...if that doesn't spell the deathblow to a hotel, I don't know what does.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bay Park Buzzy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-07 11:09 pm   Permalink

I just found a matchbook from that hotel last weekend:

Buzzy Out!

View Profile of Bay Park Buzzy Send a personal message to Bay Park Buzzy  Email Bay Park Buzzy Goto the website of Bay Park Buzzy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martian-tiki
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-07-11 4:21 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-07-07 22:27, Zeta wrote:
Congrats Martian-tiki! One more post and you will become a tiki socialite. I really admire your sources. You are king at posting Hi-res links and obscure connections. Great research! Respect! Sabu and Dusty too, but that's not new.

Thanks Zeta - I missed the post where it turned over but thanks for alerting me. You are, I'm sure, the Rey of all spanish tiki-dom.

View Profile of martian-tiki Send a personal message to martian-tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sophista-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-27 2:00 pm   Permalink

once again this is my favorite thread

View Profile of Sophista-tiki Send a personal message to Sophista-tiki  Email Sophista-tiki Goto the website of Sophista-tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-16 3:29 pm   Permalink

I just got this really nice old news wire photo of the A-Frame and the Tiki at the Taharaa Hotel during the pre-opening phase of the project.

Here is the description on the back of the photo.

It is so cool that this Tiki still survives (even if a little shorter). Maybe we can send Hakalugi over to Tahiti to get it rescued (like the Redondo Beach Barney West)!

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-16 4:47 pm   Permalink

Cool pic. Did they trace the outlines for some graphic lay out, you think?

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JONPAUL
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-16 4:58 pm   Permalink

Aaaarrrrghhh!!
Damn DC!!! ( I'm just upset out of jealousy! ; - ) )
I was watching that!
It's a fine specimen, indeed.
Congrats, man!
FIBERGLASS JUNGLE on Luxuria

View Profile of JONPAUL Send a personal message to JONPAUL  Goto the website of JONPAUL     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-16 5:59 pm   Permalink

Bigbro,

The photo has some blue/purple hi-lights around the A-Frame and Tiki, not sure what the heck it was for but it looks really cool in person.

JonPaul,

Thanks, having started this thread I was especially stoked to have grabbed this beauty. The old photos are the bomb.

DC

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation