Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Home Tiki Bars » » JnK's Tiki Bar - Perth, Australia
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
JnK's Tiki Bar - Perth, Australia
KTiki

Posted: 2010-06-24 12:27 am   Permalink

Hi there …. another couple of TC lurkers here putting their hands up and confessing to having a Home Tiki Bar … well a Tiki Bar of sorts. Although not a traditional Tiki Bar, the same sentiment has gone into it. We like to think our bar reflects a little of the surf scene, some retro style, lots of tiki art and as many Tiki statues & mugs that we could get our hands on. We live and breathe “all things tiki” and yes the word “obsessed” has been mentioned to us by all our friends here in Western Australia… just the sight of a new tiki mug or statue, sets our hearts pumping. It is so difficult to find “Tiki” over here … most folks in Australia don’t even know what a tiki is … but we love welcoming people into our bar and giving them an education and a “mai tai” to wash the lesson down! So without further adieu … here’s a couple of pics … what do you fellow TC’ers think …. can it put in the Tiki category or just totally tikified? Mahalo to Pua @ House of Tiki for pointing us in the direction of TC and for filling us with much aloha

In the beginning ... a steel shed!

Blank canvas

Many years later ... ta da

Mai Tai anyone?

But you know what? The Tiki Bar will never be finished until we cover up those white walls ... and that damn white fridge!

[ This Message was edited by: KTiki 2010-06-24 00:33 ]

[ This Message was edited by: KTiki 2010-06-24 00:36 ]

View Profile of KTiki Send a personal message to KTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Iokona Ki'i
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-24 12:45 am   Permalink

Aloha and welcome! I think your place looks great.
Nice attention to details. I do agree about the white
walls. Once you cover them it will have a better tiki atmosphere.
A little more mystery. Nice pool too!

View Profile of Iokona Ki'i Send a personal message to Iokona Ki'i  Email Iokona Ki'i Goto the website of Iokona Ki'i     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bongo Bungalow
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-24 03:15 am   Permalink

Ktiki, I really really like your tiki bar! Because of the white walls and the metallic ceiling and the lighting and the organization of the wall decor, it definitely has more of a mid-century home feel... and that's fantastic! Many do the cluttered-tiki-shack-look, but you've got something else that's very appealing!

View Profile of Bongo Bungalow Send a personal message to Bongo Bungalow  Email Bongo Bungalow Goto the website of Bongo Bungalow     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LiddleLola
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-24 05:26 am   Permalink

I love you Tikified room. It's very inviting. Thanks for bringing Tiki to Australia.

Darilyn

View Profile of LiddleLola Send a personal message to LiddleLola      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kamaina Kraig
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-24 05:32 am   Permalink

OMFG....I love it...and the way it opens out to the pool is way cool.

KK

View Profile of Kamaina Kraig Send a personal message to Kamaina Kraig  Email Kamaina Kraig     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiShopPua
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-24 07:33 am   Permalink

WOW! That is off-the-hook BEAUTIFUL! What a great look and feel and you can really sense the care you've taken to make this little tiki heaven of yours..well, just that...a tiki heaven. Good on ya. If the hubby and I ever make it over to NZ and Australia to visit his 'ohana, I'm hoping to be invited to the KTiki Tiki Bar. Tradition? Eh, it's what you make it. And you folks have truly made it something spectacular. I told ya the TC 'ohana would love it..no worries. Besides, if they didn't, it's just 'cuz everyone wishes they could have an awesome tiki space like that right in their own home! Oh da jealous!!!! Mahalos for sharing guys, and bigger mahalos for your aloha and support.

Malama Pono, Pua

View Profile of TikiShopPua Send a personal message to TikiShopPua  Email TikiShopPua Goto the website of TikiShopPua     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
WestADad
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2010-06-24 07:47 am   Permalink

WOW!

Chris

View Profile of WestADad Send a personal message to WestADad  Email WestADad     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
swizzle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-24 08:07 am   Permalink

Welcome to TC KTiki. What an AWESOME pad. Whilst I don't have my own space to turn into a Tiki room-shed-shack per se, I know that when I do it would probably end up looking very similiar to yours. That's because I love a room to be filled with things to look at wherever you turn, but I also love the clean mid-century feel as well.
I do agree with not having the white walls though, although I personally think that if you have a space with so much interesting stuff to look at, the room should be bright enough to see everything. I know that,that is not what most Tiki bars look like, but that is what I prefer.
I also noticed your menus from Hula-Bula bar. I flew over to Perth last year specifically to check out that bar and must say I wasn't disappointed. It's a shame you didn't post earlier. I might have been able to check out your place when I was there. If you are ever in Melbourne, let me know and i'll show you where to get a good Mai Tai.

P.S. Great photography as well.

[ This Message was edited by: swizzle 2010-06-24 08:09 ]

[ This Message was edited by: swizzle 2010-06-24 08:18 ]

View Profile of swizzle Send a personal message to swizzle  Email swizzle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTres
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-24 08:38 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-06-24 00:27, KTiki wrote:
what do you fellow TC’ers think …. can it put in the Tiki category or just totally tikified?

Well I think it looks fantastic! It definitely is not "traditional tiki" in that it doesn't have the "organized clutter" look and doesn't have much in the way of "authentic" tiki decor (hanging tapa lamps, puffer fish, glass floats, Witco, etc.) But the cool thing about tiki is that it's spinning off in some new creative directions and yours is a great example of how that can be pulled off effectively. Well done, and thanks for sharing the photos!

View Profile of TikiTres Send a personal message to TikiTres  Email TikiTres     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JackLord
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-24 11:32 am   Permalink

Wow. Aussie got good taste! I agree its more Mid Century-SoCal than Tiki. Whatever it is, its very well done. Gets my highest ranking- I could get drunk there.

View Profile of JackLord Send a personal message to JackLord      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TabooDan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-24 4:18 pm   Permalink

Now that's a great job!! Your place looks awesome and is very inviting!
Everyone is right by saying it is not the "traditional style Tiki Bar" but that's what I like about it. And believe me, I love the traditional full to the rafters Tiki Bar look! What you have done really works and all ties nicely together.
The ceiling is awesome as well as the the floor and the cool bar. You got any close ups of that bar? It's a little hard to tell the details of it but it looks cool.

Your photos are done very well and they sure make me wish I had a better camera to take shots of my little Lounge. Now nobody tell Bamboo Ben I said this but I like the white walls and trim. It really gives it a clean modern look and with all the art work it look like a little gallery where you just want to sit back and enjoy the surroundings.

I like seeing the items you have in your collection and decor you have chosen as you have probably collected what you like and available to where you are. It's nice to see something done a little different. Your red couches are cool and look good in your space. It all looks great!

Thanks for sharing and welcome to TC!!
Mahalo, TabooDan

View Profile of TabooDan Send a personal message to TabooDan  Goto the website of TabooDan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KTiki

Posted: 2010-06-25 12:18 am   Permalink

ALOHA … mahalo to everyone for their kind comments .. must admit we were a little nervous putting it out there with all the other “authentic” and super cool Tiki Bars on this site. Just wanted you all to know what an inspiration TC has been to us and we hope to make our bar a little more tiki and a little less white … but the shipping costs are adding up! We will continue to spread the word of “tiki” down under, one Mai Tai at a time, and hope to meet some of you next year when we will do our best to make it to Hukilau (will definitely need a shipping container to take home all the “tiki goodies” that we will buy!) Pua … not only are you and your hubby very welcome, it would be an honour to have you at our bar. Swizzle … you’re on for that Mai Tai when we’re next in Melbourne. And lastly … can’t take credit for the photography – we had a professional do it

View Profile of KTiki Send a personal message to KTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Bob
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-06-25 9:11 pm   Permalink

Hey Ktiki
Good to see another fellow countryman here. The Tiki movement is starting to grow on our shores at last. Great bar!! keep up the passion and post updates so we can see.
Trader Bob...

View Profile of Trader Bob Send a personal message to Trader Bob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiReno
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-06-26 07:43 am   Permalink

Sweetness! You have some fun stuff that I'd love to incorporate into my tiki place - such as the musical instruments, albums, etc - but mine is outdoors. Ah, for an indoor tiki bar...

View Profile of TikiReno Send a personal message to TikiReno      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pennjones
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-06-27 12:31 am   Permalink

The tiki room of yours looks great! Like others have said, I like that it's not "traditional tiki," but the fact that it fits very nicely and has a very difinite theme to it. Very, very nice!

View Profile of pennjones Send a personal message to pennjones      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation