Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Travel Cook Islands 2010 - Rarotonga
Cook Islands 2010 - Rarotonga
bongofury
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2010-06-29 7:38 pm   Permalink

We booked our trip in February 2 days before 5 cyclones hit the islands. Rarotonga had some damage but Aitutaki took the biggest hit (more pix on that island later). We returned to the Rarotonga Beach Bungalows with friends...highly recommended. New Zealand Air is great. They do not charge for baggage (unless over 50lbs-2 each allowed) or the free flowing booze. Personal screens on each seat for veiwing movies, tv, and music. I think they just raised the $750.00 rt to $835.00.....still a great deal.

There is a new terminal for arrivals with a duty free liquor shop that had Havana Club silver for $20.00 NZ (about $15.00 U.S.) and Havana Club Anejo for $22.00. I recommend buying it there before customs as I only saw Bacardi, Captain Morgan's, etc in the markets in town. We also brought a couple bottles of Zaya from the States.

Again the fish,fruits, and vegetables were excellent. This was a roadside stand 5 minute walk down the road

There is great art to be seen in galleries and hotels around the island

Lots of life in the lagoon

Noni fruit....lots of healing power. I rubbed some of this on a very bad rash/infection. Was completely gone in 5 days. We were told that the plant has 122 beneficial substances that when pasturized for import to the states leaves only 20% of them.

More to come...

View Profile of bongofury Send a personal message to bongofury  Email bongofury     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-29 11:13 pm   Permalink

Very Nice,
thanks for posting Ron.

Jeff(btd)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-06-29 11:33 pm   Permalink

Dammit! You forgot to take GROG!

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hibiscus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-30 06:43 am   Permalink

Great photos - thanks for posting! I went in '97 and really enjoyed it. The Aitutaki lagoon is one of the most beautiful, pristine lagoons I've ever seen.

Looking forward to seeing more!

View Profile of Hibiscus Send a personal message to Hibiscus      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sophista-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-03 7:52 pm   Permalink

More please its making me feel at home and peaceful

View Profile of Sophista-tiki Send a personal message to Sophista-tiki  Email Sophista-tiki Goto the website of Sophista-tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bongofury
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2010-07-05 09:42 am   Permalink

We were able to find more rum....

Winter in the South Pacific brought big waves to the outer reef . Daytime temp 82... night 72

Favorite dinner was the swordfish at the Windjammer....lunch at Pa's house after the nature walk, smoked tuna with loacl veggies

That was from the nature walk with 70 year old Pa....he also does the cross island trek... both recommended

Next stop Aitutaki....

View Profile of bongofury Send a personal message to bongofury  Email bongofury     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
4WDtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-05 10:13 am   Permalink

Damn, that all looks exactly like the paradise in my head!

View Profile of 4WDtiki Send a personal message to 4WDtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hibiscus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-05 7:13 pm   Permalink

So glad to see Pa is still doing his thing! He's a cool guy.

Your pictures are fantastic - they bring back some lovely memories.

View Profile of Hibiscus Send a personal message to Hibiscus      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-05 7:27 pm   Permalink

Wow!

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cheekytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-06 12:56 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-07-05 19:13, Hibiscus wrote:
So glad to see Pa is still doing his thing! He's a cool guy.

I thought the same thing when I saw that photo.
Did any of you get to meet Piri "The Coconut King"?

View Profile of cheekytiki Send a personal message to cheekytiki  Email cheekytiki Goto the website of cheekytiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
virani
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-06 01:33 am   Permalink

awesome pictures. Thanks for sharing. That's one of the place I'd love to visit...

View Profile of virani Send a personal message to virani  Goto the website of virani     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bongofury
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2010-07-09 1:45 pm   Permalink

Thanks all.....did not meet the coconut king......

Aitutaki

The lagoon here is huge! Will add some more next week.

1961surf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-09 2:01 pm   Permalink

Awesome pics Ron , looks like a dream trip .Thanks for sharing .

View Profile of 1961surf Send a personal message to 1961surf  Email 1961surf Goto the website of 1961surf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
theharry

Posted: 2010-07-26 08:35 am   Permalink

Thanks for posting these great pictures. Unfortunately I have never been there but I would love to visit this wonderful island. Hopefully I can realize this journey soon. I absolutely like the last picture with the tortoise on it. I would love to see such an animal in real life.

View Profile of theharry Send a personal message to theharry      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hibiscus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-26 1:19 pm   Permalink

Whoa, fantastic shots! The Aitutaki lagoon is second only to Bora Bora's in my opinion. Gorgeous! Thanks for posting.

U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation