FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events California Events Tropics Restaurant & Congo Room Bar Opening Celebration
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Tropics Restaurant & Congo Room Bar Opening Celebration
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-04 12:01 pm   Permalink

Great post, Kreepy Tiki, and congrats to John. This is what the Motel really needed, a modern and hip running bar and restaurant. I love that place, despite the original owner's indifference to the Tiki community. Mahalo forever to Casey Jones and his partner for saving its Tiki-ness in the first place, to Otto for making it a legendary event venue, to Bamboo Ben and Crazy Al to putting all this work in for free, and to Bosko and CC for their art, and to Rory for keeping that spirit alive. I don't understand why some folks are bent on alienating the Tiki Central community by posting such weird posts as this tikiliki1 person. Granted, TC is a small group compared to the "un-incorporated" Tiki lovers out there, but what we might lack in numbers, we bring forth in pure love and enthusiasm for the culture, so why be divisive?

In any case, the Caliente Tropics is, together with the Tiki Resort at Lake George on the East Coast, the last well preserved example of Tiki MOTEL architecture, and deserves all the love, appreciation and patronage it can get!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TIKI-RAY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-04 1:20 pm   Permalink

And as long as we are clearing things up , Cindy and I were the ones informing the Tropics to trim the the bushes so that everyone could see the tikis . No one there seemed to care until I went into the office and had them cut the bushes back at Tiki Caliente 2. It even took a while of explaining how important these pieces were and that everyone loves to pose with these tikis . Cindy was even asking to give her the lopping shears so she could do it herself . I know you are trying to promote things for the new restaraunt but let give credit to the people who REALLY found and exposed the tikis .

View Profile of TIKI-RAY Send a personal message to TIKI-RAY  Email TIKI-RAY Goto the website of TIKI-RAY     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiG
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-04 1:24 pm   Permalink

Right-On, Ray & Cindy!

View Profile of TikiG Send a personal message to TikiG  Email TikiG     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-04 5:05 pm   Permalink

Ray, what a good example of the fact that architectural preservation is an ongoing effort. Just because a location got saved once does not mean it will last forever. Two, three years down the line, and new owner (who is ignorant of the intrinsic value of a place) takes over, and -Bam- there goes the neighborhood. It takes constant education, reminding, and steady patronage to protect a place.

When I gave my first Lounge Tour of the Palm Springs Tropics in 1994, it was owned by the classic Asian Motel owner family who invested little and did not care about the Tikis (like everybody else didn't, back then) -- BUT there were three more Tikis around, which since then have been stolen or have fallen apart.

Then in 2001, when the new manager/owners Casey Jones and his partner took over the Motel, they named it CALIENTE Tropics because they were going to renovate it in the Californian Mediterranean theme. Luckily, P.S.Modcom founder Pete Moruzzi brought them a copy of the Book of Tiki, and they GOT it, and saw that they had a unique property not like all the other Motels, and so they kept the Tikis, and embraced Tiki Oasis. Unfortunately their high-priced "Boutique" Motel concept did not fly, and they lost their shirt and got booted out by the majority owner (who now owns it). The saving grace since then is that very little has been invested into the place since. That's why Ben and Al put in all their work to decorate the bar and patio for free.

But as the bush overgrowth-story shows: The Tikis are not on the forefront of the owner's mind, they might even be viewed as "dating" the place --just like the lawn huts which amazingly still have the original 60s ceramic lamps. Luckily John Sofio has had the good sense to keep the original wormwood paneling and other outside features of the Reef bar --but there is no guarantee they will always be there. So enjoy the place as long as its there.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KreepyTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-04 5:35 pm   Permalink

Hey there Ray!

Good goin' man! I wasn't at all trying to take away any credit there. All I knew was that when I was there some weeks ago I pointed out to John Sofio that the tiki-in-question was completely hidden by bushes -- as my pics posted on the "R.I.P. Reef Bar" thread show -- and he said he would have something done about it. And then when I returned just recently the bushes had been nicely trimmed and there was LeRoy's lovely tiki once again, exposed to the world as it should be!

So I'm afraid i just assumed that my having pointed it out the previous time must have led to the uncovering. But, we all know hat happens when one proceeds to "assume"...

So my apologies, Ray. Yer a kool dude, and I honestly had no clue.

And thanks for those GREAT posts, Bigbro! Your words and observations are always welcome!

Cheers & Mahalo

[ This Message was edited by: KreepyTiki 2010-07-04 17:42 ]

View Profile of KreepyTiki Send a personal message to KreepyTiki  Email KreepyTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TIKI-RAY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-04 6:16 pm   Permalink

Not a problem , it just bothers some of us that the Tropics owners just dont seem to give a hoot about why some of us keep coming back there . We were at the Tropics during Modernism week and noticed this problem. My personal favorite tiki there is the parking lot tiki. But when I went to see my old friend , all I could find was an overgrown Bougainvillea bush with a malibu light glowing behind it . I pulled the bush open like Indiana Jones only to find the tiki sneering at me like it had been forgotten . I mentioned this to the manager at the office and made a polite request to have the bush trimmed around all the tikis . All I got back was a dumb look and a question as to "WHY , whats the big deal "?
We got there to Tiki Caliente 2 early on Thursday before it all started and the bush was twice as overgrown . Thats when we really sorted of demanded attention to it before the rest of the gang showed up . They were still confused . After all, the poster for the event was inspired by this tiki, my pendants were inspired by this tiki and still they asked me" Whats the big deal with you guys and tikis "? You would think that if you worked there you might want to know a little about the place, at least enough to bullshit a tourist . Anyways, I love this resort and the restaraunt even through all the changes over the years . If I remember right, My Dad used to take us to that restaraunt as a kid when they used to call it "Sambo's ".

View Profile of TIKI-RAY Send a personal message to TIKI-RAY  Email TIKI-RAY Goto the website of TIKI-RAY     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ron-tiki
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-07-04 6:28 pm   Permalink

sambos it was!!

View Profile of ron-tiki Send a personal message to ron-tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Shaker
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2010-07-04 7:22 pm   Permalink

Here's the link to a great site that has tons of original Sambos photos.... including the one from Caliente Tropics.

http://www.sambosphotos.com/photocart/catalog/California-8-4.html

View Profile of Tiki Shaker Send a personal message to Tiki Shaker  Email Tiki Shaker     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-04 7:58 pm   Permalink

I think its great that the place is still there,
and that people should go there if they are going to Palm springs for other events, or just a weekend in the sun.

But for me, the only reason/time to go there would be for Tiki Caliente 3.
But being that its probably not going to be there next year.
I will have to walk over there from where Rory will be doing TC3 and walk around the grounds and remember the good times.

Jeff(btd)

[ This Message was edited by: bigtikidude 2010-07-04 19:59 ]

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-04 8:55 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-07-04 19:58, bigtikidude wrote:
But for me, the only reason/time to go there would be for Tiki Caliente 3.

Exactly.

I AM A SOCIOPATH!

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jetson
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-05 12:34 am   Permalink

Ray, you and Cindy are my heroes!
Maybe someone else should buy the hotel

View Profile of Jetson Send a personal message to Jetson  Email Jetson Goto the website of Jetson     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiyaki
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2010-07-05 11:43 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-07-05 00:34, Jetson wrote:
Ray, you and Cindy are my heroes!
Maybe someone else should buy the hotel

Exactly.
Kudos to you Ray for saying something. You would think that they would have figured out that they have a core following based on what they already have, and look into this "tiki thing" a little bit to see if there is any money making potential in it. If they had a clue, they'd go to tiki oasis and see how big it all really is. perhaps that would help them see the light.
Well, they HAVE been beat over the head with this and they still don't get it.
Their loss.

[ This Message was edited by: tikiyaki 2010-07-05 11:44 ]

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-05 4:25 pm   Permalink

Yes, folks, it is good to speak up!

But in all honesty, I believe what I said...
Quote:

On 2010-07-04 12:01, bigbrotiki wrote:
Granted, TC is a small group compared to the "un-incorporated" Tiki lovers out there, but what we might lack in numbers, we bring forth in pure love and enthusiasm for the culture...

...in that I don't think that one packed weekend a year, however big, will make or break the Motel. They just don't care because we don't carry that much weight in the big Palm Springs holiday scheme of things. But regular over the year customers do (like Matt and his family), so everybody has to speak up and say "I am staying here because i love the Tikis and A-Frames here!" whenever they go.

Jetson
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-06 02:02 am   Permalink

Agreed. And it's hard to even think of asking them if they'd be interested in multiple events when they can't even agree to a Tiki Caliente 3.

View Profile of Jetson Send a personal message to Jetson  Email Jetson Goto the website of Jetson     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation