FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Can lightning strike twice??? The next chapter in the 8FT Tiki saga....
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Can lightning strike twice??? The next chapter in the 8FT Tiki saga....
8FT Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-02 4:45 pm   Permalink

I've got a great story to share with everyone. It does require a little bit of background. I'm called 8FT Tiki because of the vintage Oceanic Arts palm tiki we found, acquired and restored back in 2003. We learned it had originally been in the Kona Kai which was inside the Hilton Plaza Inn in Kansas City, MO.
The story as recorded in a 2003 thread is found here:
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=6515&forum=1&start=last&23

We had exchanged emails with Bob & LeRoy at Oceanic Arts at that time and they informed us that there was also another 8 foot tall palm tiki in the other Kona Kai location at the Hilton Airport Plaza Inn. For almost 6 years we had not been
sure which location our tiki was from. We suspected it was the Plaza location and that was confirmed when in August of 2009 Bob sent us another email containing an interior photo of the Airport Kona Kai location found in a brochure from their files. That photo has a partial view of the tiki made by them (#139 Marquesan in their old catalog). Bob thought it might be the one we had but as I looked at the details of the carving I was quite sure it was not the one we had but the other 8 footer. It was nice to see the photo and we left it at that.

Flash forward to June 24, 2010. I get a message from Mrs. 8FT saying my good buddy
"Silverline" is trying to reach me about a tiki on Craigslist. I tried to call him back but the ringer on his phone was not working and he had no idea I was calling back and getting his voicemail. So we checked out the local Craigslist ads and BINGO! Here's what we see:

WOW, it sure looks like my big tiki. Could it possibly be the other Kona Kai locations 8 Footer? What else could it be? This thing just surfaces out of nowhere after all these years?! Of course we've been interested in tracking it down but where do you start? I mean it literally could be anywhere or nowhere if it had been destroyed somehow. Your imagination just doesn't allow you to believe that it could just appear on its own and say "hey 8 Ft, over here, come get me!"
Well, I got on the phone and managed to work out a deal with the owner. Unreal.
Still I couldn't reach Silverline to tell him or thank him. Finally the next day we talked and made quick plans to head over and make the purchase. We needed his pickup and a special no-shift device he had to keep the tiki from rolling around in the truck bed. Well secured, we took off to transport him back to my house.
We stayed off major highways because of the rush hour traffic. We got more than a few stares and fingers pointed at us as we made the journey.
Here's the new guy in truck with myself (left) and Silverlines neighbor (right) where we stopped to pick up my car.

Finally we arrive at the home of the 8 Foot family. Since neither Silverline nor myself are from muscle beach, I had to call in the big guns to assist us getting the tiki up the steps and into the house. It's nice to have a brother in law in the moving business!!!!

Yeah, this isn't gonna work, trade me ends!

That's better, lets go.

You know this thing is not as big around as the one I already had but it is heavier because it is not hollowed out from sitting outdoors. It has been inside since Oceanic Arts shipped it from California in the 70's.

Im' pretty confident it will pass through the doors without a problem.

Whew, stairs are done, now this tight corner turn.

The tiki inspector is here again (on the table) to check out the new arrival.

The moment is here!....8 Foot, meet your LONG LOST brother!!!

Me and my new family member

Now I'm sure you have noticed the red eyes on the big guy. Unfortunately sometime in the past somebody decided to add some glow in the dark paints to make him look more imposing. I couldn't wait to remove it. Lots of cleaning with water and brushes did the trick.

I also toned down the bright whites that were "updated" by a former owner by wiping on a light coat of walnut stain over the paint. Sure does look better now.

So my friends, there is the amazing true story of another adoption here in good old K.C. I'm so proud to own these vintage Oceanic Arts beauties and to see that they are now both together in the same room. Just considering the odds of that EVER happening is mind blowing. I guess it was meant to be.

Eternal thanks and appreciation to my best tiki buddy ever, Silverline you are a true friend if ever there was one.

View Profile of 8FT Tiki Send a personal message to 8FT Tiki  Email 8FT Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
murphdog
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-07-02 5:11 pm   Permalink

Wow, good story! They look great in your place!

View Profile of murphdog Send a personal message to murphdog      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-02 5:18 pm   Permalink

Absolutely and unbelievably awesome! Congrats on the matched set. One in a million odds on that.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
4WDtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-02 5:26 pm   Permalink

SCORE!!! Good for you!
That guy looks to be in great shape!

View Profile of 4WDtiki Send a personal message to 4WDtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-02 5:32 pm   Permalink

Believe in it and they will come! ...with a little help from your friends

8-Ft, your single-minded pursuit of all Kansas Kona Kai ephemera put such a strong mana out there, it could not be ignored!

Congrats, what a happy convergence.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kingstiedye
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-02 5:55 pm   Permalink

what an amazing re-union! congrats and i hope silverline is getting a nice bottle of rum for his help.

bangin' my slit gong drum until the cops come!

View Profile of kingstiedye Send a personal message to kingstiedye  Goto the website of kingstiedye     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Mr. Unreasonable

Posted: 2010-07-02 6:41 pm   Permalink

Excellent news and story, congratulations!

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
twitch
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2010-07-02 6:51 pm   Permalink

Freakin' amazing. Congrats!

View Profile of twitch Send a personal message to twitch      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
littlegiles
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-02 6:57 pm   Permalink

Awesome story! They sure look happy to be together.

View Profile of littlegiles Send a personal message to littlegiles  Email littlegiles     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Beachbumz

Posted: 2010-07-02 7:12 pm   Permalink

Great story 8Ft, How stoked you must be!! They look great there in your tiki room.. Very Cool...
So I can't wait to read what the next chapter brings...
Silverline ~ Way to stoke out a friend...

View Profile of Beachbumz Send a personal message to Beachbumz  Email Beachbumz Goto the website of Beachbumz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Pittsburgh pauly
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-02 7:26 pm   Permalink

Unbelievable! Congrats!

View Profile of Pittsburgh pauly Send a personal message to Pittsburgh pauly  Goto the website of Pittsburgh pauly     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Haole Jim
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-02 10:45 pm   Permalink

Cool story. Thaks for sharing and the piccies.

View Profile of Haole Jim Send a personal message to Haole Jim      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Polynesiac

Posted: 2010-07-03 07:53 am   Permalink

Great story 8 foot! Congratulations on bringing the two tiki brothers together after so many years. Your tiki room looks sooooooo cool with those guys flanking the fireplace!

OMG! I'm on Instagram!

View Profile of Polynesiac Send a personal message to Polynesiac  Email Polynesiac Goto the website of Polynesiac     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Beach Bum Scott
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-03 08:34 am   Permalink

That is awesome!!!!

I used to work at the Airport Hilton back in 82-84 and loved it when I got to go into the Kona Kai to set up lunch meeting's, I worked banquet set up.
Gave me an excuse to be in there.

The Mgt. was VERY strict about NO ONE going in there unless you were Kona Kai staff.

I'm glad someone that loves Tiki got that one and it is amazing you end up with both!!!

View Profile of Beach Bum Scott Send a personal message to Beach Bum Scott      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2010-07-03 08:55 am   Permalink

Now will you change your name to 8FT TikiS?

Congratulations!

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation