FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Travel Iorana Rapa Nui!
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Iorana Rapa Nui!
PiPhiRho
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-07-07 04:06 am   Permalink

I am at the Santiago Chile airport waiting to board the plane for Rapa Nui! The hotel is supposed to have wifi, so hopefully I can make a post or two from there. I should be there around mid-day today.

View Profile of PiPhiRho Send a personal message to PiPhiRho  Email PiPhiRho Goto the website of PiPhiRho     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Mr. Unreasonable

Posted: 2010-07-07 07:37 am   Permalink

Awesome!!

Have fun Paul, looking forward to your posts.

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiG
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-07 07:40 am   Permalink

Wow Paul!

Please keep notes for us, man!

My plan is to follow in your footsteps next year, so any info and tips you may share is greatly welcomed.

Have a great time...

Thanks for posting. G

View Profile of TikiG Send a personal message to TikiG  Email TikiG     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
leisure master
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-07 12:18 pm   Permalink

Very cool! You will have a great time.

Remember to get your passport stamped, check out one of the rapa nui shows downtown, have more than a few pisco sours and maybe go see a moai or two.

A couple of things to remember:

moai love to sunbathe, feel free to join them:

you should not touch the moai, but they don't mind a kiss from a pretty girl (not to worry, it's camera trickery):

...and the moai are VERY good at keeping secrets..

Enjoy!

[ This Message was edited by: leisure master 2010-07-07 12:44 ]

[ This Message was edited by: leisure master 2010-07-07 12:52 ]

View Profile of leisure master Send a personal message to leisure master  Email leisure master     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PiPhiRho

Posted: 2010-07-07 6:08 pm   Permalink

I am sitting right now in the bar at the Taha Tai hotel in Hango Roa, drinking a Mahina, the local Rapa Nui beer, which is a very nice brew. It is hard for me to describe the wave of emotion I felt as I landed at Mataveri airport and stepped off the plane into a light rain. I have already seen and photographed Ahu Riata, the nearest to the hotel, and Ana Kai Tangata, the "cannibal" cave with many birdman petroglyphs. I spent time waling around Hango Roa, looking at the lokal establishments and the myriad of souveniers available. What a magical place this is! Tonight we eat at Te Moana in town and tomorrow we go to Rano Kau, Orongo, Ahu Vinapu and Ahu Akivi.The weather is not looking good for observing the southern hemisphere sky, and not prmising for the eclipse on Sunday. Send me all of your mana and wishes for clear skies on Sunday afternoon.

View Profile of PiPhiRho Send a personal message to PiPhiRho  Email PiPhiRho Goto the website of PiPhiRho     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
WooHooWahine
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2010-07-07 6:42 pm   Permalink

Have a Tiki-rrific Trip!!! I can't wait to see the pics and hear all about your adventures.

View Profile of WooHooWahine Send a personal message to WooHooWahine  Email WooHooWahine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
zerostreet
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2010-07-08 06:48 am   Permalink

Sounds amazing! Have fun and can't wait to see some pics!

View Profile of zerostreet Send a personal message to zerostreet  Email zerostreet Goto the website of zerostreet     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
leisure master
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-08 10:12 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-07-07 18:08, PiPhiRho wrote:
I am sitting right now in the bar at the Taha Tai hotel in Hango Roa, drinking a Mahina, the local Rapa Nui beer, which is a very nice brew. It is hard for me to describe the wave of emotion I felt as I landed at Mataveri airport and stepped off the plane into a light rain. I have already seen and photographed Ahu Riata, the nearest to the hotel, and Ana Kai Tangata, the "cannibal" cave with many birdman petroglyphs. I spent time waling around Hango Roa, looking at the lokal establishments and the myriad of souveniers available. What a magical place this is! Tonight we eat at Te Moana in town and tomorrow we go to Rano Kau, Orongo, Ahu Vinapu and Ahu Akivi.The weather is not looking good for observing the southern hemisphere sky, and not prmising for the eclipse on Sunday. Send me all of your mana and wishes for clear skies on Sunday afternoon.

Well said - I remember those same "I am finally here" feelings.

Tons O Mana headed your way for a nice view of the eclipse - I forgot it was this week.

I was there in Feb 2009 and they were talking about it back then! Are there a ton of people visiting for the eclipse?

View Profile of leisure master Send a personal message to leisure master  Email leisure master     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiG
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-08 11:08 am   Permalink

<<<<mana>>>>

<<<<maNA>>>>

<<<<MANAMANAMANAMANA!!>>>>>

Here you go!

Enjoy a perfect eclipse viewing session...wish I was there to witness it too. G

View Profile of TikiG Send a personal message to TikiG  Email TikiG     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PiPhiRho

Posted: 2010-07-08 5:56 pm   Permalink

The population of the island is going to more than double this week.

Last night we had a patch of clear sky and I saw the southern cross for the first time{props to Crosby Stills and Nash). Didn't last long, though, and it clouded over and started raining before we could get the telescopes set up. Dinner in town was awesome at a place called Te Moana where I had my first "tiki" style cocktail (and got a picture).

Today I was at Rano Kau, Orongo, Ahu Vinapu, Ahu Akivi, The Pukao stone quarry and a lava tube cave. Lots of pictures and video, but don't have a way to process and upload it, so that will happen after I get back. The day was clear and sunny, but it is raining right now as I am drinking a pisco sour in the lounge.

Tomorrow: Rano Raraku, Ahu Tangariki, and Anakena Beach, among other things.

GROG

Posted: 2010-07-08 9:34 pm   Permalink

This is the first total eclipse on Easter island in 1400 years. Do you think the aliens will return?

GROG miss Tiki-Kate

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-08 10:37 pm   Permalink

one can only hope

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-09 09:45 am   Permalink

Amazing that you made it out there for the eclipse.

When I was there with Jen (DangerGirl) in 2004, people were already talking about the eclipse. Jen, me, a Dutch guy named Wouter, and a couple from the UK all vowed to return for the eclipse, six years later.
Alas, the plan feel apart.

Hope you're able to get an amazing view of it.... and if not you're on RAPA NUI, so your trip will not be a loss, by any stretch!

See www.tydirium.net for Tiki Road Trip, global travelogues, and more!

View Profile of tikibars Send a personal message to tikibars  Email tikibars Goto the website of tikibars     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
stentiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-09 2:20 pm   Permalink

I just saw the notice about the pending eclipse over Rapa Nui and wondered about the buzz on this. What a pleasant surprise to find that Paul will be there to experience it. What a dream come true! And that fact that you are unable to send pictures at the moment makes it even more exciting and suspenseful. You're back to the primitive and somehow it seems that's the way it should be. Looking forward to seeing them when you get back.

Have a great time!

Sending good mana your way.

Arty

View Profile of stentiki Send a personal message to stentiki  Email stentiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PiPhiRho

Posted: 2010-07-09 6:41 pm   Permalink

What an awesome day today. Rano Raraku! The birthplace of the Moai! I touched the Navel of the World and got soaked at Anakena Beach. Unfortunately, I got soaked by rain and not by swimming at the beach. It was a strenuous day that included hauling my fat old ass up to the Rano Raraku crater. It was worth every step! There are even Moai in the crater. tomorrow we explore Hanga Roa and go to the museum here. The rest of the day is rehearsal for the ecliplse.

Last night after coming out of the restaurant it suddenly turned clear and Iwas able to observe some of the southern sky, including the Jewel Box, Eta Carina, Omega Centauri and, eventually, the small Aagellanic Cloud anf 47 Takane. This is not the best observing place for astronomy, but this place the place is lousy with astronomers right now and we even have a netional geopraphic film crew hanging with us.

I am slso on my second anejo rum, so typing is getting difficult. Here at the bar I just met poeple who know tiki central, Tiki ti and are building their own tiki bar from Oceanic Arts. Small world, and this island makes it feel even smaller. I cannot describe how wonderful this place is. Even if the eclipse is a bust, this will still be one of the best vacations of my life.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation