FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Music The Beachcomber Trio Live at the Kahiki
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
The Beachcomber Trio Live at the Kahiki
heylownine
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-08-24 11:06 pm   Permalink

My copy was indeed waiting for me at home after Tiki Oasis (facepalm as I realized on Saturday I could have bought it *at* Tiki Oasis). It's even better than I hoped for. It feels like owning and listening to a brand-new piece of the past. Which I guess is exactly what it is. So good.

kevin
http://twitter.com/heylownine

View Profile of heylownine Send a personal message to heylownine  Email heylownine Goto the website of heylownine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2010-08-26 2:54 pm   Permalink

Ok Jeff this ones for you.
3/4s of the way down on this link is the Marinba that was played on this record.
Enjoy!

http://choppypercussion.com/default.aspx

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-26 3:32 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-08-26 14:54, tikiskip wrote:
Ok Jeff this ones for you.
3/4s of the way down on this link is the Marinba that was played on this record.
Enjoy!

http://choppypercussion.com/default.aspx

That would be the one!!

Thanks mucho tikiskip, you rock!!!!!!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

View Profile of Jeff Central Send a personal message to Jeff Central  Email Jeff Central Goto the website of Jeff Central     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kq4ym

Posted: 2010-08-28 05:37 am   Permalink

A friend from Columbus sent me the Dispatch article and through it I found the tikiroom and Jeff's great tiki info.

I was a member of the Beachcomber's Trio at the Kahiki around 1968 with Marsh Padilla and guitarist Leroy Plymale. It turns out that band is on the back cover of Jeff's new record. How cool!

I'm loving the great tiki info here and meeting up with old friends of the Kahiki in Columbus, Ohio!

Don Browne
LaBelle, Florida

View Profile of kq4ym Send a personal message to kq4ym  Email kq4ym Goto the website of kq4ym     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-30 07:28 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-08-28 05:37, kq4ym wrote:
A friend from Columbus sent me the Dispatch article and through it I found the tikiroom and Jeff's great tiki info.

I was a member of the Beachcomber's Trio at the Kahiki around 1968 with Marsh Padilla and guitarist Leroy Plymale. It turns out that band is on the back cover of Jeff's new record. How cool!

I'm loving the great tiki info here and meeting up with old friends of the Kahiki in Columbus, Ohio!

Don Browne
LaBelle, Florida

Welcome to Tiki Central Don.

Thanks for sharing your incredible information and thanks for emailing me too! The picture on the back is indeed a later version of the Beachcomber Trio taken in 1968.

Much appreciated.

This place is full of Kahiki nuts!!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

View Profile of Jeff Central Send a personal message to Jeff Central  Email Jeff Central Goto the website of Jeff Central     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-30 12:04 pm   Permalink

Check out these photos from my visit yesterday with Gerline Lude, the cover girl on the Beachcomber Trio LP.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/album.php?aid=11985&id=100001191781514

It is the most spectacular garden I have EVER seen in my lifetime.

Their garden has been featured in multiple magazines including the National Geographic, Better Homes and Gardens and Columbus Monthly.

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

[ This Message was edited by: Jeff Central 2010-08-30 12:05 ]

tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2010-08-30 3:50 pm   Permalink

You are just trying to pull me into the evil world of Facebook.
Just post the dam photos.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-31 06:02 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-08-30 15:50, tikiskip wrote:
You are just trying to pull me into the evil world of Facebook.
Just post the dam photos.

Facebook is where I found all these people!

Tiki Joe's Pop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-03 5:27 pm   Permalink

What a JEWEL!
As a fan of "live" exotica performances, few & far between as they are,
Jeff put together one helluvan entertaining LP. (Love that new "clean" LP sound off my needle, Jeff!!)
The musicians that make up this trio echoes the "feel" that Arthur Lyman & co. was putting out.
To take you back and make you FEEL that you're barside at the Kahiki in the mid-60s comprises a wholly complete and holy felt experience, no doubt. An almost 8 minute version of Quiet Village is an Exotica religious experience!
Cheers & Mahalo to Jeff & the Dionysus people for putting this all together.
-Andy
ps. The free download included & "bar chatter" is the icing on the cake!
BUY YOURS TODAY!!!!

[ This Message was edited by: Tiki Joe's Pop 2010-09-03 17:31 ]

View Profile of Tiki Joe's Pop Send a personal message to Tiki Joe's Pop  Goto the website of Tiki Joe's Pop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-04 12:06 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-08-30 12:04, Jeff Central wrote:
Check out these photos from my visit yesterday with Gerline Lude, the cover girl on the Beachcomber Trio LP.

Wow, what a Shangri-La! It looks like you could just sit there and record jungle sounds...the water, the birds....
THIS is the tropical paradise I picture when I listen to Gene Rains or Martin Denny!

And it's in OHIO!!? Her name sounds German. Did you have any idea what you were gonna stumble on?

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-05 03:47 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-09-04 00:06, bigbrotiki wrote:
Quote:

On 2010-08-30 12:04, Jeff Central wrote:

Wow, what a Shangri-La! It looks like you could just sit there and record jungle sounds...the water, the birds....
THIS is the tropical paradise I picture when I listen to Gene Rains or Martin Denny!

And it's in OHIO!!? Her name sounds German. Did you have any idea what you were gonna stumble on?

I had no idea whatsover. Her garden is truly amazing. Like something from a tropical movie set! She wants to add more tikis too! The best part is at night. EVERYTHING lights up! We hope to have a Tiki Luau party sometime soon before the weather cools down. There is even a sound system hooked up that pumps music throughout the garden. It's like they took the gardens from the Kahiki and placed it in her back yard!!

The Columbus Dispatch recently published an article on the 10 year anniversary of the Kahiki's closing. God, has it really been 10 years? This has generated a lot of interest locally and I have been in contact with not only Geri but another member of the Beachcomber Trio who was in the band from 1968-1969. His name is Don Browne and he was the one who sold Marsh the 1933 Concert Grand Marimba that now belongs to me.

It is truly amazing how things seem to snowball once something like this comes out.

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

OnyaBirri
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-07 3:41 pm   Permalink

Just ordered this. Can't wait. Thanks Jeff!

View Profile of OnyaBirri Send a personal message to OnyaBirri      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-Tim
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-13 5:08 pm   Permalink

Hey Jeff....Just got my LP and downloaded the digital copy.Absolutely Fantastic I must say.Makes me feel like I'm back in time at The Kahiki.It's framed and on the wall surrounded by Baxter & Denny..Thanks again

View Profile of Tiki-Tim Send a personal message to Tiki-Tim  Email Tiki-Tim     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-14 09:26 am   Permalink

WOW!!!!!

Looks great Tim. Thanks for the kind words!!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-11 1:34 pm   Permalink

Well, that lines up perfectly with the vintage covers! I just got my record, and it's a wonderful time warp, right in line with the legendary Tiki Gardens LP and the Royal Tahitian album that A-Frame just gave me a CD of. Keep up the good work, guys!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation