FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Music » » The Beachcomber Trio Live at the Kahiki
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
The Beachcomber Trio Live at the Kahiki
Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-12 07:24 am   Permalink

In case people here at TC didn't know Marsh Padilla, musician extraordinaire, leader of the Beachcomber Trio, and friend passed away on December 24th 2010. He was 92.

Please visit my original post on Facebook..........

http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?fbid=151761458206913&set=a.101338609915865.589.100001191781514

Rest in Peace Marsh.

Jeff

View Profile of Jeff Central Send a personal message to Jeff Central  Email Jeff Central Goto the website of Jeff Central     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-18 08:54 am   Permalink

How great that he saw the Beachcomber LP published. It is most rewarding to see these veterans of Poly pop experience the fact that their work is still appreciated.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-18 09:32 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-01-18 08:54, bigbrotiki wrote:
How great that he saw the Beachcomber LP published. It is most rewarding to see these veterans of Poly pop experience the fact that their work is still appreciated.

Amen!

View Profile of Jeff Central Send a personal message to Jeff Central  Email Jeff Central Goto the website of Jeff Central     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DejaVoodoo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-19 8:25 pm   Permalink

I just ordered my copy of this LP last night. How great that it comes with a digital download option in addition to the vinyl? I'm typically anti-digital download, but since I'll have the analogue LP, I'm thrilled to also have the MP3s for on-the-go iPod listening. I can't wait to hear this album!

There are less than 10 songs on it, though, right? Here's hoping they're extended renditions otherwise the LP is painfully short on running time. It should still be a great listen. I'm sure it'll make me wish I could have visited the Kahiki way back when.

Did any pictures of the Kahiki interior survive the turn of the century? Aside from the famous fireplace, I've only ever seen artists renderings of the floorplan layout, not actual photographs of the different seating areas, waterfall, etc.

View Profile of DejaVoodoo Send a personal message to DejaVoodoo      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
peacefrogman
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-01-20 05:31 am   Permalink

Just ordered my copy this morning .

View Profile of peacefrogman Send a personal message to peacefrogman  Email peacefrogman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Noillid2

Posted: 2011-01-22 08:18 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-07-12 06:58, Jeff Central wrote:
Well, I have "officially" produced my first vinyl LP; The Beachcomber Trio "live" at the Kahiki.

It is a vintage recording recorded in 1965 at the Kahiki Supper Club.

It was released by my friends at Dionysus Records in a strict Limited Edition of 500 copies. Inside is a download coupon so you can download the album as well.

Here is the link with more info..............

http://www.dionysusrecords.com/home/?p=1136

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

[ This Message was edited by: Jeff Central 2010-07-12 11:55 ]

After being a guest around here for about 2 years, and finding this post, I finally decided it was time to join TC. So yes, this would be my first posting...

Many thanks Jeff!!! I ordered my copy today. I can't believe there are some left. I have lived in the Columbus, Ohio area my entire life and went to the Kahiki many times with my parents, wife, children and in-laws. I have often wished the Kahiki would reopen somewhere in Columbus. Having a recording of the Beachcomer Trio will be an absolute treasure and take my mind back to great experiences at the Kahiki. So again, many thanks Jeff for making this available!!!

Tom...

View Profile of Noillid2 Send a personal message to Noillid2      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-22 3:55 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the kind words everyone!

Welcome to Tiki Central Tom. Lots of archived information here that is truly amazing.

This is what I truly love doing. I'm an Audio Archeologist/Music Historian by heart. I love searching for rare and unreleased recordings and making them available for people to listen to and enjoy. I especially love meeting the people that made this music as well. They are some of the most interesting and inspirational people I have ever met!

Thanks again!!

Look for rare Exotica album later this year by Jerry Sun!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

peacefrogman
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-01-25 7:05 pm   Permalink

I got mine today,#480, and I am loving it.

View Profile of peacefrogman Send a personal message to peacefrogman  Email peacefrogman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DejaVoodoo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-26 11:02 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-01-25 19:05, peacefrogman wrote:

I got mine today,#480, and I am loving it.

Wow! Dionysus Records must be nearing the end of their 500 copies run, unless they're plucking stock at random. Fantastic! So glad this album is SELLING!

We ordered around the same time (within days of each other), and I'm still waiting for mine, but it'll be interesting to see how our numbered editions compare.

View Profile of DejaVoodoo Send a personal message to DejaVoodoo      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DejaVoodoo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-26 3:21 pm   Permalink

Well, my The Beachcomber Trio "Live From Kahiki" LP arrived today. It was well packed but beneath the shrink wrapping, the cardboard jacket has a bumped top spine and two creases along the top of the front cover.

These discrepancies are minor and I'm telling myself that it makes the LP look even MORE vintage. Still, . Oh well.

Also, the hand numbering on the back of my LP jacket says: #981500. I'm not sure what that means. I thought this album was limited to 500 copies? Is it possible "981" is on ALL the LPs and "500" means I got the last copy?

To everyone who purchased this album, what does the numbering on yours look like?

Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-26 7:18 pm   Permalink

Deja Voodoo,

If you are not happy with it I'm sure Lee at Dionysus Records will exchange it for you. He is really good about taking care of the customer. The number sounds like its 98/500. This is the way Lee hand-numbered them with a slash between numbers. He must be picking them at random. That is a pretty low one.

Thanks for purchasing the LP. I hope you enjoy it. If unhappy though, Lee will be glad to exchange it for you.

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

[ This Message was edited by: Jeff Central 2011-01-26 19:18 ]

DejaVoodoo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-26 8:34 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-01-26 19:18, Jeff Central wrote:
Deja Voodoo,

If you are not happy with it I'm sure Lee at Dionysus Records will exchange it for you. He is really good about taking care of the customer. The number sounds like its 98/500. This is the way Lee hand-numbered them with a slash between numbers. He must be picking them at random. That is a pretty low one.

Thanks for purchasing the LP. I hope you enjoy it. If unhappy though, Lee will be glad to exchange it for you.

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

[ This Message was edited by: Jeff Central 2011-01-26 19:18 ]

Jeff,

Thanks for the reply. That explains the peculiar numbering on the back of my LP. On second look, it IS 98/500. Wow. That also explains why the jacket is a bit "beat up" - it's been kicking around for awhile.

The imperfections I described are really quite livable and the vinyl is pristine - that's what matters, right? Knowing that the numbered edition I received is quite low, I'll most likely hang on to what I've got. I'll learn to love it, dings and all!

Mr. Ho
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-28 10:49 am   Permalink

tiki tock, tiki tock....

Bart: "is the mail here yet?" Homer: "no!"

Shipping waits = yuck!

Mr. Ho
http://orchestrotica.com/ ••• New album Nov. 2013

View Profile of Mr. Ho Send a personal message to Mr. Ho  Email Mr. Ho Goto the website of Mr. Ho     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Noillid2

Posted: 2011-02-01 12:05 pm   Permalink

Jeff,

My Beachcomber Trio Live at the Kahiki LP arrived yesterday. It is numbered 70/500. I really wish the digital download coupon would have been contained in an envelope within the box instead of inside the album. I had to remove the plastic shrink wrap, which I really didn't want to do, but hey, that's the way it goes. I downloaded the digital mp3 files and have already played them to death. They're fantastic! They bring back such great memories. Since the shrink wrap is off my album, I'm going to put the LP on the turntable, crank it up, and listen to music the pre-digital way. I know they will sound just as fantastic. Many thanks Jeff for getting the LP produced!!! I'm curious how many songs did not make the cut? Would they potentially be put on a second live LP?

As a result of this LP, I am now searching through all my boxes of photos to find any we took at the Kahiki. If any of them are good enough, I'll post them here.

Again Thanks!

Tom...

View Profile of Noillid2 Send a personal message to Noillid2      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-04 10:27 am   Permalink

Hi Tom,

I think 6 songs didn't make the cut off the first reel. I have two other reels as well but by far the best stuff came from reel #1 and that's what appears on the album. I'm going to make the extended version of Yellow Bird available here on Sunday so check back!

I may make the extra tracks available as a download at some point but right now I am concentrating all my energy on the Jerry Sun record which should be out hopefully by Summer 2011.

Thanks for the interest.

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation