FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving New guy looking for some assistance.
New guy looking for some assistance.
medicbear

Posted: 2010-07-13 07:07 am   Permalink

I did a search for how tos and help for the new guy but not much came up. I am new and always thought tiki art was entrancing. Something about the rawness of it. Anyway i wanted to start doing smaller tiki statues mainly sizes you would use a dremel on. Anyone got any advice a new guy, dremel tips, designing, step by step for the first time kinda things.. Thanks alot.

View Profile of medicbear Send a personal message to medicbear      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pjc5150
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-13 09:39 am   Permalink

My process is pretty simple.

Strip the bark, draw out the design, cut it, torch it, sand it.

And spend a few bucks on a couple of good quality chisels. Cheap Chinese crap isn't worth messing with (been there - done that).

Best thing to do: get a few simple tools, find some ideas here to try out, get some wood to work with, and have at it.

In my opinion the draw out is one of the most important steps, as it is essentially your template, so take your time and do that part right & everything else should fall into place.

Trial and error...don't be afraid to make some mistakes, then just grind 'em off and start over!

Best of luck.

View Profile of pjc5150 Send a personal message to pjc5150      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
seeksurf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-13 4:59 pm   Permalink

Trial and error big one. Keep looking and reading posts here you will get some ideas.
Dremel is good for the finish work. (tight areas hard to get at and or areas your chisel's dont do what you want them to do.

Buy a nice set of small chisels and practice.

View Profile of seeksurf Send a personal message to seeksurf  Email seeksurf Goto the website of seeksurf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pjc5150
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-15 06:55 am   Permalink

Hey also, there are a lot of videos on youtube if you enter "carving tikis", "making tikis", etc., that can be very helpful.

One of the first things I did when I started messing around with tikis was to watch every youtube instructional video I could find. Free is free!

View Profile of pjc5150 Send a personal message to pjc5150      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation