FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Creating Tiki » » Other Crafts » » "Mai Tide" painting by THOR DONE!!! Mermaid's and rum!!...Mmmmm
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
"Mai Tide" painting by THOR DONE!!! Mermaid's and rum!!...Mmmmm
THOR's
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-13 5:02 pm   Permalink

Aloha!! UPDATE as of 7/31/10...DONE! See Page 2 for finished piece!! Hold your breath..make a wish...TAKE A SIP and count to three..... Read below for story on this painting is desired, posted when it was in process.... See You at OASIS!

I have been working on a bunch of new art...but not posted much, so thought I would set down my brushes and share. Here is an in progress peek at a new adition to the Mermaid series...featuring Marina called "Mai Tide".

It's about 75% done...the top is just blocked in and the floats roughed in without any detailing or lighting and rendering. There will also be a fish net sagging into the water at upper left....the old dock will be rendered and it will be a subtle night sky with Diamondhead in the background.

My idea here was to show a mermaid enjoying a Mai Tai that she concocted, with help from the rum toting Octopus, inside a corked fish float ball...she sips from a straw that is wedged just right into a hole in the cork...there will be tiny bubbles (excuse the pun) emerging from the top of the ball she sips from. She has somehow found her faorite little spot, where a "Tiki" has been chunked out of the base of one of the docks old pylons. It is happy to be company to this "finned femme fatale".(hey I like that!...I am a poet and didn't know it!).
Anyway, The warm light source comes from a living puffer fish that SOMEHOW..can glow without being dead and hanging in a dusty Tiki bar (..this is fantasy, remember!). I still have a lot more flesh tone variations to add to the base forms on the mermaid and warmer glazes to add to balance color and such. This piece is in oils..and on a smooth surface(was experimenting with media). More shimmer and detailing will happen on the scales and her shell top and hair...which will have a few little shells and things woven into her lockes. It should turn out to be a very enchanting image...and I bet yah many would gladly drown in the depths under this old dock sharing a sip or two till all troubles faded into the blue...
I will have the original at Tiki Oasis...prints should be available then too. I will post the final result in a week or so. ENJOY!
~~~THOR

[ This Message was edited by: THOR's 2010-07-31 09:13 ]

View Profile of THOR's Send a personal message to THOR's  Email THOR's Goto the website of THOR's     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-07-13 7:35 pm   Permalink

Looking good. You make GROG proud.

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Babalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-14 12:10 pm   Permalink

Great stuff Thor - Marina must be thrilled!

View Profile of Babalu Send a personal message to Babalu  Email Babalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tobor64

Posted: 2010-07-14 12:42 pm   Permalink

That's looking great, Thor. Looking forward to seeing the finished piece.

View Profile of Tobor64 Send a personal message to Tobor64      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Meheadhunter

Posted: 2010-07-14 5:16 pm   Permalink

Awesome!!

View Profile of Meheadhunter Send a personal message to Meheadhunter      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
THOR's
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-14 6:08 pm   Permalink

THANKS!! I am enjoying the mermaid series.... Working on the stage Banners for Tiki Oasis at the same time....you guys will get a kick outta those!!

View Profile of THOR's Send a personal message to THOR's  Email THOR's Goto the website of THOR's     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Shark Art
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-14 8:57 pm   Permalink

BEEE-utiful! Ah, the light source and colors ...so wonderful as always. Inspiration! Just what I needed to before picking up the brush for tonight's work...

View Profile of Tiki Shark Art Send a personal message to Tiki Shark Art  Email Tiki Shark Art Goto the website of Tiki Shark Art     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Otto
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2010-07-17 11:36 pm   Permalink

Thor, that is awesome, can't wait to see it in person. You gotta bring that to Tiki Oasis 10!!!

View Profile of Otto Send a personal message to Otto  Email Otto Goto the website of Otto     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
THOR's
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-18 10:26 am   Permalink

Thanks Brad and Otto,

I will have this at Oasis..I have two interested buyers for this original and plan to price it very reasonably...doing some direct publishing this year on mainland. I am also showing the originals for all four new mermaid paintings I finished a few months back with Kika and Kami with Marina's pod, and "TRADER HIC's" painting will be there too!! Anyway, the "Medusirena" pod will all be at Oasis too so please come say hello at our usual vending suite by the pool. Otto knows all about this part! After finishing the banners for Oasis stage, I am finishing the "Mai Tide" piece here and then plan to knock out a lot of velvets to bring to oasis..which I REALLY enjoy doing. The two shrunken head velvets I did a few weeks back are sold already, but I will do more of those too.

Brad!..U GOTTA get out here to Oasis one year! I wanna talk about Monsters and Tiki's!! Dennis Mathewson and Steve Matson are flying in to vend and hang...Dennis will be doing some AWESOME body painting and I have a sneakin' suspicion that Kami and Kika and if she can stay outta the water long enough, Marina might be volunteering their beautiful bods as fine living canvas'! We just need to keep throwing them Mai Tai's and anchovies!

little lost tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-18 10:32 am   Permalink

Gorgeous painting so far,Tom!
and one of my favorite mermaids....
You're batting 10,000 my firend!

View Profile of little lost tiki Send a personal message to little lost tiki  Email little lost tiki Goto the website of little lost tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sirginn
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-18 10:36 am   Permalink

Incredible, looking forward to seeing the finished product.

View Profile of sirginn Send a personal message to sirginn      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
THOR's
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-18 10:40 am   Permalink

Ken! It's gunna be GREAT to see you!! I hae been such a recluse this year and REALLY looking forward to seeing you and familiar faces. Thanks for your thumbs up. As usual, your work ALWAYS inspires me...BUT, I think your secret is in your glasses, buster...SOOooo I plan to snag those puppies when you aren't looking so I can see the world through KINNY's EYES TOO!

Thank You sirginn!

[ This Message was edited by: THOR's 2010-07-18 10:43 ]

THOR's
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-31 09:15 am   Permalink

Finished "MAI TIDE" Acrylic on canvas.... By THOR

little lost tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-31 6:07 pm   Permalink

ZOING!

nailed it!

Marina immortalized yet again...
hi-caliber,Tom!
as always!

Always a delight and joy to view your art!

View Profile of little lost tiki Send a personal message to little lost tiki  Email little lost tiki Goto the website of little lost tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
leleliz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-31 6:33 pm   Permalink

This is a fantastic painting! Marina looks just as beautiful on canvas as she does in person!

View Profile of leleliz Send a personal message to leleliz      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation