FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Events » » California Events » » JOHN-O's Koreatown Mid-century Bar Crawl
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
JOHN-O's Koreatown Mid-century Bar Crawl
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-15 09:51 am   Permalink

OK, TC member PolynesianPop is a big nautical bar fan just like me. He's asked me to introduce him to some of my LA nautical hangs. The problem is that most are spaced out too far for one night of drinking. What I've proposed is a K-Town bar crawl that will highlight one of my favorites, the HMS Bounty. We'll also be visiting some other nearby mid-century dive bars and maybe some Korean bars to experience the local flavor.

It starts at 7:30pm. Just PM me for the starting point, there is secure valet parking at stop #1. Bring cash as this might require a couple of short cab rides (unless you're up for a drunken 1 mile walk).

Please don't inquire about the exact itinerary, where's the surprise in that ?? Don't worry, I promise to safely get you back to our point of origin.

[ This Message was edited by: JOHN-O 2012-03-01 18:15 ]

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-17 3:08 pm   Permalink

The HMS Bounty is a great nautical bar.

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Coco Joe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-17 3:59 pm   Permalink

This is a great idea John-O...only if I had the funds to join you

View Profile of Coco Joe Send a personal message to Coco Joe  Email Coco Joe Goto the website of Coco Joe     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-26 08:39 am   Permalink

What do Robert Kennedy, Charles Bukowski, Kim Jong-il, Don Draper, and Blackbeard all have in common ??

They each map to a stop on my upcoming bar crawl in Aug !!

Also did you ever see the 1982 Cyber-punk classic "Blade Runner" ? That film portrays an "Asian-ized" future Los Angeles based on the aging remnants of Mid-century LA Noir. To me that's not Science Fiction, but rather current day Koreatown.

K-Town is historic. It's exotic. It's sinister.

I've put together an eclectic mix of destinations, 3 LA Mid-century gems + 2 Korean “mondo bizzaro” bars. Everything is in reasonable walking distance + 1 very short RTD bus ride (forget the cabs).

We can cap off the night with some Korean drunk food. Yes there is Korean BBQ but nothing will sober you up faster than silkworm larvae soup or freshly-cut squiggling octopus tentacles. Trust me, Tikiphiles ain't got nothing on those crazy Koreans when it comes to "drunk culture".

So will there be any Tikis on this bar crawl ??

"Forget it Jake, it's Koreatown".

[ This Message was edited by: JOHN-O 2010-07-26 08:43 ]

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiG
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-26 10:41 am   Permalink

What? no sampling of K-Town prostitution, no K-Town karaoke? AND NO K-TOWN GAMBLING?

Who is this John-O guide anyway?!

G

tiki since '67!

[ This Message was edited by: TikiG 2010-07-26 10:42 ]

View Profile of TikiG Send a personal message to TikiG  Email TikiG     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PolynesianPop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-03 10:26 am   Permalink

Bump!

Don't miss this event. We've all seen the Tiki bars but there are a few Nautical gems out there too!

Poly-Pop *

Bartender, make mine a glass of WATAHHH!!!!!

View Profile of PolynesianPop Send a personal message to PolynesianPop  Email PolynesianPop Goto the website of PolynesianPop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-03 11:59 am   Permalink

It's noirish

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
drunkycrow

Posted: 2010-08-13 09:15 am   Permalink

I'm looking forward to getting into K-town. I've been exploring rum and tiki drinks lately and look forward to some inspiration. Let me and my friends know where to start.

http://drunkycrow.blogspot.com/

View Profile of drunkycrow Send a personal message to drunkycrow  Email drunkycrow Goto the website of drunkycrow     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrsmiley
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-14 10:23 pm   Permalink

Hi, John-O, we can;t make it, but look forward to the discription and listing of the places visited!
If you like it, it is ZAZZ! If you don't it is RAZZ!

View Profile of mrsmiley Send a personal message to mrsmiley  Email mrsmiley Goto the website of mrsmiley     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-23 11:07 am   Permalink

PMs have been sent to the following people who expressed interest for this Sat:

1. PolynesianPop
2. chrisandsarahb
3. TikiG
4. drunkycrow (+3)
5. Marty Lush
6. TikiSan
7. hiltiki
8. Coco Joe
9. Bora Boris
10. Tonga Tom
11. Sheriyaki
12. Tiki Bird
13. UtopianDreem
14. debrastuart (+1)
15. JOHN-O (+5)

If I left anyone out, please let me know.

Yes, I know some people can't do the entire crawl but maybe you can join us for a cocktail at stop #1.

Disclaimer - Everyone is expected to drink responsibly, you are not required to drink alcohol at each bar if that's going to impair your good judgment. JOHN-O does NOT condone drunk driving after the crawl. There will be ample time to sober up on "drunk food" in the area. Thank you.

[ This Message was edited by: JOHN-O 2010-08-26 21:15 ]

JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-26 9:25 pm   Permalink

Honestly, I expected this was just going to be me, PolyPop, and a handful of others.

Right now we have 20+ crawlers. Because of this, I'm going to scale the bars down to 3 since I think a group this large is going to overpower 2 of the smaller ones, especially on a Saturday night. On the other hand, the 3 I have in mind are all in crawling distance so no cabs or buses are needed. Don't worry, the HMS Bounty is still the main attraction.

FYI, it appears our point of departure closes at 1am. That means cars which are valeted must be retrieved by then. If anyone wants to keep on crawling into the next day, then I will have options.

Also I'm not familiar with everyone, so Aloha-wear will make it easier to herd the cats.

If this is successful, I have a Westside Nautical/Beachcomber crawl in mind. Also Hiltiki wants to do a mid-century dive bar Valley crawl (drive really) if anyone is interested.

Thank you for your interest and participation.

[ This Message was edited by: john-o 2010-08-28 10:49 ]

PolynesianPop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-27 11:43 am   Permalink

Add Al-ii to the list. He's tagging along with me.

View Profile of PolynesianPop Send a personal message to PolynesianPop  Email PolynesianPop Goto the website of PolynesianPop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SoccerTiki

Posted: 2010-08-27 12:01 pm   Permalink

You had us at "silkworm larvae soup"!!! Please add WooHooWahine and I to your crawl tomorrow.

"Marriage, Mortgages, Market Places and Mai-Tai's...Whatta life

View Profile of SoccerTiki Send a personal message to SoccerTiki  Email SoccerTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiG
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-27 12:42 pm   Permalink

Sorry guys, can't make it tomorrow night. Have fun and I'll see you at Bongofury's party in Camarillo on the 4th, Labor Day weekend. Have fun and have a cocktail or two for me. G

View Profile of TikiG Send a personal message to TikiG  Email TikiG     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-27 3:12 pm   Permalink

Sorry can't make this one but I will see you at Tonga Hut.

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation