FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Events » » California Events » » JOHN-O's Koreatown Mid-century Bar Crawl
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
JOHN-O's Koreatown Mid-century Bar Crawl
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-27 5:38 pm   Permalink

More crawlers....

16. Joe Banks
17. SoccerTiki
18. WooHooWahine
19. crazy al

Wow, this is a lot of people. Please be patient if we wind up overwhelming the bars.

At stop #1, if you don't see Tiki people just ask for the back room which I might reserve.

I did get several tables held at the HMS Bounty for later. That should accommodate 15 people so we can table hop between there and the bar.

The new crawl start is 7:30pm, I'll be there about 7:00pm to calm the Korean owners about the mob of Hawaiian tourists. We'll move on about an hour later. FYI, the stop #1 valet closes at 1am not midnight.

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
WooHooWahine
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2010-08-28 10:11 am   Permalink

WooHoo! Can't wait for tonight

View Profile of WooHooWahine Send a personal message to WooHooWahine  Email WooHooWahine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
congawa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-28 11:24 am   Permalink

Man John-O, I've really wanted to go on this crawl, because the Bounty is one of my favorite places, but I don't think I can make it tonight. Last time I was at the Bounty, one of the bar regular oldtimers started singing Moonlight Becomes You (from Road to Morocco), and one or two others spontaneously joined in. My friend Joan used to live in the Gaylord (the building its in) and when we dined there she pointed out which booth was Jack Webb's favorite, Dick Burton-Liz Taylor's favorite, and the fact that Churchill used to come in in the late 20's or early 30's (before it was the Bounty) when he was living at the Ambassador and writing his war memoirs (before becoming Prime Minister). Sounds like you have a great crawling group--have fun!

Caltiki Brent

View Profile of congawa Send a personal message to congawa  Goto the website of congawa     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-28 9:39 pm   Permalink

JOHN-O

Show us a list of the bars you went to.

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-29 02:52 am   Permalink

Pictures now, story later. I'll be gradually adding captions and a crawl report to this post. If you're interested keep checking back over the next several days.

1. The Prince

This frozen in time mid-century "steakhouse" is located in the historic Windsor Apts. The following link provides a comprehensive history...

http://www.latimemachines.com/new_page_57.htm

The Prince is now a Korean bar but the interior decor is essentially unchanged from the 1950's (and maybe even earlier than that). It's often used for period film and TV shooting (Chinatown, Mad Men, etc).

The feedback that I got from a lot of the crawlers was this was their favorite spot of the evening. Be warned the prices are pretty high for well drinks (about $10, but if they charge you different prices for the same drink in the same night, don't be surprised.)

Left to right…

A quarter of Debbie's face, SoccerTiki, Al-ii, PolyPop, Tiki Bird, Crazy Al, and Clerisse.

Left to right…

WooHooWahine, Chris (of chrisandsarahb), Drunkycrow, Debbie, and Drunky's friends Jen and Armen.

Drunky (Sketch) and his friends are serious mixologists. They're new to Tiki so we'll probably see them at Tonga Hut Sundays.

It's Tonga Hut regulars Joe Banks, Sheriyaki, and Tonga Tom outside of their native habitat.

My hat's off to Joe Banks. He was ordering Tropicals at every bar we went to (even though he knew better). That's a hard-core Tikiphile.

2. HMS Bounty

UtopianDream's face poking out on the left.

And is that Martin Cate on the right ?? No, it's Jason.

Your humble crawl guide on the far left.

3. Crazy Hook (aka the crazy Korean pirate bar)

A Tiki !!!

Bora Boris, showed up !! He heard there was a Tiki on the crawl. He was not pleased with its quality however.

That's my friend Millie on the right.

New TC member Drunkycrow (Sketch) on the far right with friends Armen and Jen.

It was great to meet you guys !!

4. Dan Sung Sa (aka the Kim Jong Il bar)

This place is so hard-core Korean, they don't even have an English sign.

Inside, we could have been drinking in Seoul.

At this point, only the most dedicated left crawling.

Crazy Al contemplates his frog legs...

Vandalism by an unnamed TC member...

These are Korean "balls". 4 Korean men gave it up just so SoccerTiki could have a midnight snack.

This is fresh octopus...

5. Frank N Hanks

Didn't happen. Maybe next time.

Thanks to everyone who came out. It was fun !!

[ This Message was edited by: JOHN-O 2010-08-29 10:29 ]

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-29 04:15 am   Permalink

Sure looks like it! I'm sorry I missed it.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tangaroa-Ru
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-29 08:20 am   Permalink

I wish I could have joined you! I'm a fan of the bounty and the prince! My friend, Sketch, was with you. Looks like he's fast becoming another Tikiphile! Thanks for showing him such a good time. Now I have tochecl out the Hook! Yes,please do more of these!

View Profile of Tangaroa-Ru Send a personal message to Tangaroa-Ru      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
WooHooWahine
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2010-08-29 10:03 am   Permalink

Mahlo! Mahalo! Mahalo to JOHN-O for being such a Tiki-rrific Tour Guy and showing us around Koreatown. What a Wild & Crazy Night.

View Profile of WooHooWahine Send a personal message to WooHooWahine  Email WooHooWahine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-29 10:31 am   Permalink

Sorry I had to miss this. John-O, please have another one of these in the future! I am so into Korean food!

I AM A SOCIOPATH!

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SoccerTiki
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2010-08-29 10:35 am   Permalink

John O!!! Whatta fantastic evening! It was like living a food channel show in K-Town! Thanks again for setting this up! Next field trip to???????

"Marriage, Mortgages, Market Places and Mai-Tai's...Whatta life

View Profile of SoccerTiki Send a personal message to SoccerTiki  Email SoccerTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tigerlily
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-08-29 12:14 pm   Permalink

Fun meeting up with everyone at the Captian Hook's! Thanks to John O for putting the crawl together.

View Profile of Tigerlily Send a personal message to Tigerlily      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tonga Tom
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-08-29 1:11 pm   Permalink

Thanks JOHN-O for the Koreatown Mid-century Bar Crawl, we had a great time!
Here's some of my documentation to add to the already great images posted.

Well, these drinks look pretty...

JOHN-O gives us advice on eating Korean food...

And drinking booze...

Sherriyaki is a good student.

Nice lamp at The Prince. Looks like the RR took electrical wiring advice from this place.

Fancy wall in the entrance to the men's room.

We saw this place, but there was no sign of Marina.

Cool characters on the wall in our booth.

I think Tonga Tom's face broke your camera!

Mutiny outside the HMS Bounty

It says 'FOOD & GROG', but we did not see GROG inside.

"Did you see GROG inside?"

Look, "tiki" inside 'Crazy Hook'

"I'm JOHN-O, and I will be your server."

"Look out JOHN-O, pirates!"

Those Korean pirates serve one BIG-ASS beer! The least they could have done, was give us pint glasses.

View Profile of Tonga Tom Send a personal message to Tonga Tom  Goto the website of Tonga Tom     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
crazy al
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-29 1:41 pm   Permalink

Feel the burn! one spicy night out! Thanks for getting this road show on the move!!

View Profile of crazy al Send a personal message to crazy al  Email crazy al Goto the website of crazy al     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-29 6:37 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-08-29 13:41, crazy al wrote:
Feel the burn! one spicy night out! Thanks for getting this road show on the move!!

if i had a dollar for every time you gave me hell for these types of antics....

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build Tiki Rooms for you! Just ask around ;)
https://www.facebook.com/bamboo.ben

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
chrisandsarahb
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-29 7:13 pm   Permalink

Mahalo John-O for the totally fun bar crawl! It was awesome hanging out with everyone and getting to know some of the TC peeps better. Can't wait for the next one! Cheers!

View Profile of chrisandsarahb Send a personal message to chrisandsarahb      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation