[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki McMenamin's in Tacoma, WA
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
McMenamin's in Tacoma, WA
woofmutt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-18 10:17 pm   Permalink

"When contacting them, let's stress the fact that Tiki culture really is part of the Puget Sound area's history. Seattle, with its connection to Hawaii, Tacoma and the Navy town of Bremerton all had a slew of Tiki establishments and apartment complexes.
"
-bigbrotiki-

And... The new McMenamins location in the old Elks Temple (565 Broadway) is more or less 2 blocks west and 6 blocks north of Tacoma's one time wonderful Tiki establishment
The Islander/Clark's Islander (located at 11th and A).

On December 30, 1948, the Elks Temple at 565 Broadway opened its doors to members, wives and ladies to see the newly renovated building. The club room, very popular with the majority of the membership, was just one of the rooms that was completely redone. Everything - chairs, tables, floor coverings, light fixtures - was new and modernized. Even the billiard tables were completely overhauled. All the funiture was custom made in Tacoma. Tacoma News Tribune December 30, 1948 (from the Tacoma Public Library archives)

View Profile of woofmutt Send a personal message to woofmutt  Email woofmutt Goto the website of woofmutt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JackLord
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-19 11:21 am   Permalink

I visited a couple of their joints when I was in Portland. I was impressed and recall thinking other chains could learn something from them, i.e. uniformity is not always an asset. I am not anti-Starbucks, but maybe they could vary their style now and then?

Anyway, I would nominate BigBroTiki as the Emissary. Show them how to do it correctly.

View Profile of JackLord Send a personal message to JackLord      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
woofmutt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-15 7:17 pm   Permalink

Another thread got started about this project, The NW is getting a new tiki bar! so I figured I'd bump this one as it has more info and discussion in it.

According to this March 2012 article on the News Tribune site the projected opening date is Spring 2013.

View Profile of woofmutt Send a personal message to woofmutt  Email woofmutt Goto the website of woofmutt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikicoma
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2012-10-12 8:09 pm   Permalink

So you know, construction starts in January, their construction crews are pre-leasing apartments for that month. But the big news is this, a week ago they met with the preservation committee and presented plans, nothing specific about a tiki bar in the paper but I found this online....

In the upper right corner you can see a "tiki bar cooler"

It looks like this is going to be the tiki bar! And it's not a small space. Also this room is in the interior of a lower level so it will be secluded from the outside world. I wonder how soon they'll be needing a bartender

aloha, tikicoma

P.S. this along with Robertikis' post about overhearing the Mc brothers discussing building a Tacoma tiki bar makes me think this is actually going to happen!

[ This Message was edited by: tikicoma 2012-10-12 20:19 ]

[ This Message was edited by: tikicoma 2012-10-12 20:21 ]

View Profile of tikicoma Send a personal message to tikicoma      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-10-13 04:28 am   Permalink

Tres cool, coma! It seems they are reviving the Tiki temple tradition of an interior waterfall feeding a river traversed by bridges, quite common in its heyday, and only recently ripped out of the Islands Restaurant in San Diego:

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rum Balls
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2012-10-15 06:19 am   Permalink

So, can Tacoma support 2 tiki bars?

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=43843&forum=2&1

View Profile of Rum Balls Send a personal message to Rum Balls      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
woofmutt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-10-15 08:39 am   Permalink

"So, can Tacoma support 2 tiki bars?"

There's probably as much chance for it as any similar sized city. Anyone who hasn't spent some time in Tacoma in the past 10 years should set aside any negative impressions they might have about the City of Destiny. It's a cool city with a lot of creative people doing neat stuff and people who dig neat and cool stuff.

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-10-15 09:10 am   Permalink

The above floor plan also seems to put this one into a different league than the linked one.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikicoma
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2012-10-15 10:53 pm   Permalink

The short answer is yes. The McMemamins are known for seeing the value in historic buildings and turning them into successful venues featuring movies, quality music concerts and competitive food and drinks. They brew their own beer and its solid if not exceptional and their mixed drinks are good but not what I would call part of the craft cocktail movement, at least not at any of the five I've been to, they don't fail, at least not so far.
Tacoma Cabana on the other hand evolved from another smaller restaurant downtown that did well but they wanted to expand. After talking to and being aware of Jason Alexander from the web it seems he's about the craft cocktail movement and classic "tiki" drinks and this year competed in the Kona Mai Tai competition though he said he went out early. This town needs a good craft cocktail bar and their place is a bit more contemporary tropical than over the top tiki. The space they are in has had 2 or 3 joints fail quickly before them, but they were (I thought) pretty lame business models.
I can see them both succeeding but in the current economy all restaurant business is tough and very competitive.

So now you know more about the City of Destiny's bar scene than you ever wanted to.

aloha, tikicoma

"Tacoma, 185,000 alcoholics can't all be wrong!"

View Profile of tikicoma Send a personal message to tikicoma      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation