[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Drinks and Food » » Black Tot
Black Tot
blue.octopus
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-07-30 4:39 pm   Permalink

saw this article http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/07/29/black_tot_rum/
and thought it might interest a few rum fans here.

----
Those of you with a taste for rum and 600 quid to spare might like to uncork a bottle of Black Tot "Last Consignment" British Royal Naval Rum, lovingly decanted from the official stocks held by the Senior Service since sailors' final rum ration in 1970.

On July 31 of that year, at precisely six bells in the forenoon watch, Jack tars were issued their ultimate hit of rum on what became known as "Black Tot Day".

The remaining rum - likely imported from the West Indies in oak barrels by official supplier ED & F Man & Co - was poured into stone flagons and transferred to HM bonded warehouses, where it lay undisturbed, apart from tapping for the odd state occasion.

Six thousand bottles of Black Tot rum have now been released to landlubbers to mark the 40th anniversary of Black Tot Day. For your £599 you get a 70cl bottle* of 54.3 per cent strength rum in a custom wooden box, complete with 80-page history of naval rum by spirits author Dave Broom, a certificate of authenticity and, crucially, a half gill copper cup to dispense the correct ration.
----

View Profile of blue.octopus Send a personal message to blue.octopus      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CucamongaChango
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-11-06 1:52 pm   Permalink

Good god... we got a bottle of this in at work.
$976.
INSANE.

Anybody wanna go in on a bottle?

I KEED, I KEED.

View Profile of CucamongaChango Send a personal message to CucamongaChango      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
gabbahey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-11-06 7:06 pm   Permalink

Bet it makes a great rum and coke.

View Profile of gabbahey Send a personal message to gabbahey      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cammo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-11-06 7:21 pm   Permalink

It better.

View Profile of Cammo Send a personal message to Cammo  Email Cammo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
swizzle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-11-06 11:57 pm   Permalink

Haven't had a chance to try it myself but i do know a few bartenders that have. All of them said it was nothing special and i can imagine it really wouldn't be. What you're really drinking is history.

View Profile of swizzle Send a personal message to swizzle  Email swizzle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Little fragrant Tiare
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-11-12 10:21 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-11-06 23:57, swizzle wrote:
What you're really drinking is history.

This is true but i don`t agree that it“s nothing special.I found it had a very great taste and an exceptional long finish but there“s many other rums that are equally good, especially among good demeraras.

For those interested the Whiskey-exchange in London sell mini samples of it.I haven“t bought any and if i do sometimes, then i“m buying history more than a great rum.

View Profile of Little fragrant Tiare Send a personal message to Little fragrant Tiare  Goto the website of Little fragrant Tiare     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CucamongaChango
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-01-06 12:14 pm   Permalink

Well, since I'm the rum geek at work, I've been charged with moving our bottle of Black Tot.
Our price is $977 pre-tax.
If anyone's interested, let me know.

View Profile of CucamongaChango Send a personal message to CucamongaChango      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation