[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events California Events Tiki Oasis III Bartending
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Tiki Oasis III Bartending
tiki-riviera
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-05-12 07:20 am   Permalink

This was my second Tiki Oasis and it was a blast! Loved the music, especially APE!!
The vendors had great stuff too! But how do you have an exotic weekend with such horrible drinks?? I had a pina colada that had sweet and sour and triple sec in it!! The saddest part is I drank it!! A good idea for next year would be a pina colada contest. Was it just me or is Frenchy Fontaine extremely tasty?

View Profile of tiki-riviera Send a personal message to tiki-riviera  Email tiki-riviera     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Monkeyman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-05-12 08:13 am   Permalink

This is a basic business concept.....

Never close your bar on the busiest weekend of the year while patrons still want to PAY you for drinks. I heard partygoers being turned away at 9:30pm on Saturday night because the bar was closed.

my $.02

View Profile of Monkeyman Send a personal message to Monkeyman  Email Monkeyman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tik tok tikis

Posted: 2003-05-12 09:52 am   Permalink

Yeah...no kidding. That's why you should "have bar will travel". That bartender needs anger management classes too, or a career he's happy in.

my .000000005 cents

View Profile of tik tok tikis Send a personal message to tik tok tikis  Email tik tok tikis Goto the website of tik tok tikis     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martiki
Official Mixologist

Posted: 2003-05-12 10:58 am   Permalink

Last year they sold drinks by the bar that were terrible too. But last year they tried (in vain) to stop people from bringing their own drinks to the pool. Fortunately they didn't fuss with that this year. Perhaps part of the Reef's evolution will be a new bar menu with a focus on good drinks. It's really the glaring problem at the Tropics. That's why those in the know hit tha 1-3-5 and the 2-1-1 fo shizzle.

-martin

View Profile of martiki Send a personal message to martiki  Email martiki Goto the website of martiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Cocktail
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-05-12 11:02 am   Permalink

Bad bar? I missed that-I don't drink.

View Profile of Atomic Cocktail Send a personal message to Atomic Cocktail  Goto the website of Atomic Cocktail     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Miehana
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-05-12 2:13 pm   Permalink

Man oh man - the drinks were TERRIBLE. The bartenders seemed inexperienced to say the least. When I ordered a Mai Tai, one of the bartneders had to ask the other guy how to make one. I heard him say "Just put whatever in it!" My "mai tai" had a lot of pink grenadine and ammeretto (?!) in it. It had no dark rum and cost NINE dollars.
Needless to say, I did not return for more. This wil definitely need to be worked out for the future.
I must say here, though, how PLEASED I am that the Reef Bar is at least open for business. It's looking pretty cool and certainly has some potential for greatness. - once they get some competent bartenders!

View Profile of Miehana Send a personal message to Miehana      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2003-05-12 2:37 pm   Permalink

Sorry to hear about the bad drinks. At Mondo Tiki the first drink I had was a Mai Tai and was very good. The bartender (at the bar by the vendor tables) made it with Appleton rum, fresh lime pre-squeezed into a plastic bottle, orgeat, curacao, and a float of Myers'. Unfortunately, the rest of the drinks I had later were made by different bartenders (in a different bar as the vendors bar was closed) and ranged from bad to worse. The next Mai Tai I had was made with Bacardi and lots of pineapple juice. What happened to the Appleton? Considering the high cost of the drinks I was pretty disappointed. Obviously the quality of drinks is an important thing to most tiki revelers, but the managers of the events never seem to be able to make it happen (with the exception of the events at Trader Vic's in Emeryville).

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
trustar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-05-12 5:32 pm   Permalink

They could have done a better job at serving drinks if they were not prancing around behind the bar so much. They only had one blender, they ran out of rum by 8:00 on Friday night. Now anybody can get caught short but running out of rum at a BIG ASS TIKI GATHERING????? If we knew that they did not know how to mix drinks we could have made little recipe cards for them to follow. The one guy was busy being Madonna, holding up two pink tiki mugs to his chest. Definately something that needs to be revised for next year. Other then that everything was cake. Thanks all.

Trustar

View Profile of trustar Send a personal message to trustar      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martiki
Official Mixologist

Posted: 2003-05-12 5:43 pm   Permalink

Always good to see the Trustar with the the Trufamily- rollin' in tha Trupassat.

I had no idea it was that bad. I'm really glad I didn't get a drink there. It's definitely starting to come together nicely inside, decor-wise.

Plus, there's now an original Shag illustration on the wall inside. (har)

-martin

View Profile of martiki Send a personal message to martiki  Email martiki Goto the website of martiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki_Bong
Deleted

Posted: 2003-05-12 6:04 pm   Permalink

After hearing the Mai Tai horror stories as soon as we arrived, I stuck the the best drinks at the event - Room 135 - fully stocked with fresh lime and lemon juice, mixers and an array of fine rums.

Doctor Z also made me one fine ass Mai Tai Saturday night.

Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikifille
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-05-12 6:31 pm   Permalink

Why yes, the Doctor was turning out the finest of Mai Tais! Sorry I was such a lightweight and couldn't finish mine. I promise to practice more heavy drinking prior to the next Oasis.

View Profile of tikifille Send a personal message to tikifille      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Rider
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-05-12 6:37 pm   Permalink

Amen to room/travel bars!...I wouldn't have mind supporting the Reef Bar more but the lack of quality in the drinks, the $9.00 factor and the bartending skills ("just put whatever in it..")left alot to be desired. BTW, how about those mortgage interest rates...

View Profile of Tiki Rider Send a personal message to Tiki Rider      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Luckydesigns
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-05-12 6:39 pm   Permalink

Trustar, are you talking about this guy? Nice guy, real friendly. I still have no idea how this picture got on my camera.

[ This Message was edited by: Luckydesigns on 2003-05-12 18:55 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Luckydesigns on 2003-05-12 18:56 ]

View Profile of Luckydesigns Send a personal message to Luckydesigns  Email Luckydesigns Goto the website of Luckydesigns     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
floratina
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-05-12 6:57 pm   Permalink

I remember that guy. I liked him, he was fun and he made a good Blue Hawaiian. Now, where are the rest of your pictures?

View Profile of floratina Send a personal message to floratina  Email floratina     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mig
Official Man-About-Town  

Posted: 2003-05-12 6:59 pm   Permalink

Lucky: that guy was the BETTER of the bartenders there. The bar scene at the Reef was indeed atrocious (aside from the decor). I kept thinking to myself, "if ElJab was here, he'd start whooping some ass".

They had a little chalkboard outside the window with a few drinks on it-- incorrectly assuming it was "the list", I ordered something from it-- a Planter's Punch. The guy had no idea how to make it-- so the other bartender told him, in front of everybody there, "just put in some light rum, some dark rum, some pineapple juice, and maybe something else". Still charged me $9.

This of course was after the 15-minute wait. Which wouldn't have been so bad if I hadn't been only the third person in line, with TWO bartenders working.

The girl ahead of me ordered "a strawberry daiquiri with vanilla vodka". Sounded pretty yummy to me! But apparently very difficult for the bartender to comprehend. After incorrectly pouring, blending, and then dumping out TWO blenderfuls of some sort of concoction, he finally produced a drink that was the color of white-out and sheepishly asked her to taste it. She asked where the strawberries were, and he didn't have an answer... she finally just took it, even though he still charged her the $9 and had blown about ten minutes to come up with the wrong drink.

Next year, I'm going to bring a hundred of those plastic tiki drink cup thingies, and sell them to everybody at cost.

-mig

[ This Message was edited by: mig on 2003-05-12 19:02 ]

View Profile of mig Send a personal message to mig  Email mig Goto the website of mig     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation