FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki The Polynesia, Seattle, WA (restaurant)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 )
The Polynesia, Seattle, WA (restaurant)
tikicoma
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2018-03-08 11:18 pm   Permalink

Kilaueakyd it says that it's monkeypod and yes it does grow that large.

[ This Message was edited by: tikicoma 2018-03-09 00:03 ]

View Profile of tikicoma Send a personal message to tikicoma      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikicoma
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2018-03-09 12:03 am   Permalink

Some new from the beginning and end of the Poly.

First up Donald Keys inspecting the installation of the beams he carved (or at least carved along with Ingalls).
Though he was a carver before WWII he was inspired by what he saw in the Pacific during the war.
It turns out he's the third carver involved in tiki or decor for a polynesian restaurant to come out of Tacoma along with Gale Haner and Art McKellips.

January 25th, 1982 was moving day.

It just amazing to see it dangling above the barge. I wonder if went all the way to the Duwamish like this?

Looking closer you can see the tiki mask carvings still on the Polynesian. We know one was later found in Elliot Bay and recovered but I wonder if it fell off during this trip or later when it was destroyed while on the Waterway?

(edit: the photo of Keys was found at HistoryLink.org and those of the Polynesia being lifted were from Mohai.org.)

[ This Message was edited by: tikicoma 2018-03-09 00:13 ]

View Profile of tikicoma Send a personal message to tikicoma      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
keigs20
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-03-17 4:42 pm   Permalink

I had a guy contact me last week, wondering if I would be interested in a huge tiki mask from the Polynesia in Seattle. The mask hung on his house when he bought it I believe he said 20 years ago. He told me he found out it was Witco by searching online about the restaurant. He had also found out that Mr Westenhaver was my grandfather in-law and he and his wife would like it to go back to the family as he was sure Bill had something to do with the design and maybe carving of the mask. He told me the original homeowner had bought the mask at an auction for the Polynesia restaurant in 1981 for $10.00. The mask has been hanging from 1981 until 2015 when the couple remodeled their home and it did not fit the area anymore. The house it hung on was known as the Tiki house and was located on Lake Tapps in Pierce County, Washington. Thanks to the very kind people it is now in our hands where it will be brought back to it's old Witco glory days. When I am finished refinishing and weatherizing it will hang on our house for many years to come. At some point the mask was cut down a bit. It now measures 10' tall by 4'8" wide. Over all the mask is very solid for its age and so much Washington weather. Sorry about my terrible story telling and punctuation.

[ This Message was edited by: keigs20 2018-03-17 16:51 ]

[ This Message was edited by: keigs20 2018-03-17 16:52 ]

[ This Message was edited by: keigs20 2018-03-17 18:13 ]

View Profile of keigs20 Send a personal message to keigs20  Email keigs20 Goto the website of keigs20     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
happy buddha
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-03-17 5:23 pm   Permalink

Exactly where that incredible piece belongs. Congrats Ken.

View Profile of happy buddha Send a personal message to happy buddha  Goto the website of happy buddha     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-03-17 5:43 pm   Permalink

Nice story, glad its back to where it should be. Looking forward to seeing it all finished.

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-03-17 7:43 pm   Permalink

Yay! Great news! Love it when Tiki things come full circle !

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-03-17 8:57 pm   Permalink

Did anyone ever find out how a fairly close likeness of this mask ended up on items from "Moultray's Polynesian" at the 1965 New York World's Fair?:

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=19276&forum=1&start=30

...including a font much like the "Polynesia"?

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikicoma
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2018-03-18 02:34 am   Permalink

Well the Moultray's must have "borrowed" it when took their biz to the NY worlds fair.

Bill and Chris Moultray had the Four Winds restaurants in Seattle and Yakima WA the Seattle one since '55. They were a New Orleans/Pirate themed restaurant with drinks like the cannonball and waitresses in pirate outfits.

The Polynesia opened in '61 then at the '62 Seattle Worlds Fair the Moultray's opened a couple booths at the food circus at the fair. It must have been successful for them because 2 years later they opened Moultray's Polynesian at the New York fair using the Witco mask design. They repeated opening restaurants at two more worlds fairs selling the Seattle Four Winds by the mid 60's.

...so all they had to do to come up with this design would be to walk about 10 blocks from their restaurant to pier 51 to see it on the Polynesia.

uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-03-18 05:24 am   Permalink

Great story. I love it when the stars align and these pieces are saved when they could be so easily lost. Im looking forward to seeing the big guy returned too his former glory. These kind of stories are what keep me returning to TC.

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation